PDA

View Full Version : "Bemused"

rks
05-13-2003, 12:58 AM
This is a portrait of my husband which I finally finished today. It has been in the works off and on for the last 6 weeks, and my husband and I are both happy it's done! It's on Arches 300, 1/4 sheet, all WN and a bit of watercolor pencil. His arms at the bottom actually are crossed, but our scanner is short about 2 inches. He is bemused about my passion for watercolor, and I unexpectedly captured that expression in this portrait. All comments and critiques welcome.

[IMG]http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2003/18901-RLPicStan.gif[/IMG

Thanks for looking at my work.

Roberta

lyn lynch
05-13-2003, 01:00 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2003/18901-RLPicStan.gif

Very nice, Roberta, nothing jarring like in my work.
I see you have same "sight" as I. Always making eyeball too big; draw white space left and right rather than the eyeball to compensate.

Very nice otherwise, and actually eyeball does not detract, looks like hubby wearing magnifier glasses. Good palette!!!!!

Alan Cross
05-13-2003, 01:02 AM
Auntie you are to fast for me I was just doing that LOL good job
Roberta I like it
Alan :)

artmom
05-13-2003, 01:02 AM
Here's your image!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2003/18901-RLPicStan.gif

You left off the last bracket! LOL

Nice painting!

lyn lynch
05-13-2003, 01:11 AM
LOL, Alan, and I have slowed down...LOL

Portrait still looks good, Roberta!!

rks
05-13-2003, 01:54 AM
Auntie, Alan and Lyn, thank you so much for uploading my image. Can't imagine what went wrong as I copied and pasted the URL assigned. Also, many thanks for your encouraging comments. This is just the third portrait I've done and the hardest one for me. Auntie, special thanks for the helpful hint on painting eyes. Next time for sure.

Roberta

Olga
05-13-2003, 02:31 AM
The bemused/indulgent look comes across very well... And the eyes add to that.

Careful and clean work, too--such smooth skin tones, you have. And they ears (which are always hard for me--no patience) are just perfect

Nice job

Olga

M.A.
05-13-2003, 05:52 AM
This is a wonderful portrait. The suggestion of his hand on the lower right really lends to the bemused factor (arms crossed?) of this painting.

Sharon Douglas
05-13-2003, 05:57 AM
This is a very good portrait, the skin tones are very good, I don`t know about the likeness because I don`t know what your husband looks like.
If he`s happy with it then it must be very good.
Sharon.

painterbear
05-13-2003, 06:27 AM
I like this portrait of your husband a lot. It has life in it and personality. The colors are very nice together too. You could use Chinese white watercolor to make his irises smaller if you want to work on it some more.

You've done a great job if this is only your third portrait you've painted.

CharM
05-13-2003, 07:47 AM
Roberta, this is a good portrait of hubby! He has a gentle look and, yes, bemused... You captured that very well! After Olga commented about his ears, I took another look... I guess they looked so natural that I didn't even notice... :)

matingara
05-13-2003, 08:21 AM
Really nice work.

I love the color and vibrancy in this - unusual in a close up such as this!

pampe
05-13-2003, 10:38 AM
nice work, Roberta

I think he is bemused BUT proud!!!

lyn lynch
05-13-2003, 10:44 AM
PS: Leave Stan's eyes alone...they work in this portrait. I was giving advice for future.

karenjh
05-13-2003, 10:56 AM
Great job! Your husband is handsome and I love the look on his face. The contours and wrinkles in his face are beautifully done. He should be thrilled with this.

rks
05-13-2003, 03:27 PM
My husband was up early A.M. today lurking on this thread - even before I was out of bed!
Olga: Thank you, thank you. Yes, he's also indulgent. After 43 yrs. of marriage, I still think I'm a lucky gal.
Mary Ann: Thanks for your kind words. His arms are crossed at the bottom, but our scanner is too short to show them.
Sharon: Thank you for commenting on the skin tones. I'm still a newbie at skin tones. IMHO, it is a good likeness. (He thinks so too.)
Sylvia: He has lots of personality. Glad it showed.
Char: I spent a lot of time on his ears. Read somewhere they help to capture a good likeness.
Matingara: Newbies need encouragement. Thank you so much!
Auntie: Your last message was timely. I almost picked up a brush.
Karen. I think he's handsome too. Thanks for saying so.

I'm spending the rest of the day sucking ice cubes to keep my head normal size. You are all such an amazing supportive group.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Roberta :D

Nandie
05-13-2003, 03:33 PM
Very nice, Roberta - you've really captured lots of personality in his face. I'm also admiring the differences in texture between the crisp collar of his shirt and the softness of his pullover. Good job!

rks
05-13-2003, 03:42 PM
Pam, Didn't miss your message but wanted to reply separately. My husband and I are both very proud of this one. In fact, this is the first painting I've done that I can honestly say I'm proud of it.

Btw,"Are you proud of your work?" would probably make an interesting poll. Hint, hint.

Roberta

maggers
05-13-2003, 11:06 PM
You have done a great job. Naturally, as I know Stan I can attest to the likeness. Well done!! Wendy

rks
05-14-2003, 02:39 AM
Andrea, Thanks for stopping by. We had fun choosing the shirt and pullover for this painting. Then it got too warm for my husband to pose while wearing the pullover, so I had to rush painting that part. LOL

Wendy, Very kind of you to take the time to look at this portrait and then to post your comments (know you are shy about that.)

Roberta:D