PDA

View Full Version : Can this be saved?

artmom
05-12-2003, 11:51 PM
This is the first time I've ever got close to something looking like a rose--can I finish it--or is it hopeless? I know yellow is hard--but I want to paint a yellow rose!

Any suggestions, comments, critiques are welcome!

My ref photo:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2003/11722-Rose-my.jpg

My painting

Approx. 6 x 6 Arches 140 cp WN Raw Sienna, New Gamboge, Winsor Yellow, FUB, Winsor Violet

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2003/11722-Yellow_Rose_WIP.jpg

karenboss
05-12-2003, 11:57 PM
I think you've done a great job... what's bothering you about it???

artmom
05-13-2003, 12:06 AM
Karen, thanks for looking.

Do I have enough contrast with my darks and lights? I guess I'm just looking for reassurance! LOL

CharM
05-13-2003, 12:06 AM
Are you sure you chose a ref pic with enough petals for your first attempt? And then, of all things, you chose yellow!!! My gosh Lyn, you do set the bar pretty high!!! I might be inclined to scrub a bit of highlight on the lower right large petal. Were you intending anything more for the background? I can't offer any advice, because I'm still PABG (paranoid about backgrounds)...It's a beautiful rose and you should certainly be proud of it!

artmom
05-13-2003, 12:09 AM
Char, ROFLOL!

Yeah, I couldn't find a small rose, could I--or a pink one!!!!!

Thanks for looking and for the suggestion:)

lyn lynch
05-13-2003, 12:58 AM
I have a pink one in my RIL.

Use transparent colors rather than opaques.
Pre-select your palette by making tonal charts and wash overlay charts.
Try to limit your yellow palette to a few compatable colors; start w/something like this and see how they overlay:
Lemon Yellow [semi trans.]
Cerulean Blue [careful-staining]
Quin. Magenta [has lots of purple]

PS: Yellow [email protected]

Alan Cross
05-13-2003, 01:04 AM
Hi Lyn I think you did great those are very hard to do....try a red one next they are a bit easier.
Alan :)

artmom
05-13-2003, 01:06 AM
Yes, Fookie-Lyn, yellow [email protected]! Thanks for the tips--I'll use them on the next one!

Thanks, Alan, this was my third try at painting this rose!LOL