PDA

View Full Version : WIP-woman and birds in the rain

babybrush
05-12-2003, 10:28 PM
here is the first phase of my version of Hector's reference picture. still have alot of work left to do. this is only a section of the whole painting. i stretched out the columns and windows on either side to emphasize the littleness of the woman. i also added four other pigeons. you can't see them very well yet. i used some salt on both the sky and the paving. have alot of value blanceing to do yet, but would love to hear any comments or suggestions you have at this point.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2003/11882-umbrella_1.jpg

thanks
Bethany

CharM
05-12-2003, 11:38 PM
Bethany, she is coming along wonderfully! How interesting to watch your treatment of Hector's ref! The umbrella and posts and saltwork are excellent... One can't help but wonder why her hand is inside her coat?

al22
05-13-2003, 12:13 AM
Good job, B......... I put it on the watch list..........
.......al

artmom
05-13-2003, 12:20 AM
Looking good, I'll be watching!

Alan Cross
05-13-2003, 12:58 AM
Hi Bethany very good so far waiting to see more....
Alan :)

artijan
05-13-2003, 02:13 AM
Looking good, Bethany. I'll be back ...

Jan

Olga
05-13-2003, 02:22 AM
Great start, Bethany. THe salt texture on the ground worked out so well !

Looking forward to more

Olga

rks
05-13-2003, 03:10 AM
Bethany, you are off to an excellent start. Interesting to see another take on Hector's reference photo. I'll be looking for the next instalment. Keep up the good work!

Roberta

baba
05-13-2003, 03:17 AM
I love her coat! Please show us the whole thing... The sides of the columns appear a bit dark to me, but this may change once it's done.

M.A.
05-13-2003, 05:49 AM
Looking good! Eager for more ... eager for the pigeons ;)

Sharon Douglas
05-13-2003, 06:13 AM
Looking good so far, I`m looking forward to seeing the pigeons.
At the moment it think that the columns look a bit too dark, but I`ll reserve judgement until I see more. I know how these things change during the course of a painting....lol....
Sharon.,

painterbear
05-13-2003, 06:53 AM
I like this photo reference too. Nice drawing and compositional changes.

Good start on the addition of color. Look forward to watching your painting develop.

madmum
05-13-2003, 07:21 AM
*Watching*

Looks very good so far, Bethany :)

Ruth

Crystal Owl
05-13-2003, 08:11 AM
Looking great Bethany :)

Irene

Annetta
05-13-2003, 08:19 AM
Looking goooooood Bethany!! :clap: Will be watching :D

matingara
05-13-2003, 08:19 AM
Good job so far. Needs some nice loose accents for shadows - IMHO.....

Little Old Lady
05-13-2003, 08:47 AM
Great start. Waiting for more.
JoAnn

babybrush
05-13-2003, 09:48 AM
finally getting on here this morning (after reading Matt's EXCELLENT Zorn article) and find my thread with all these lovely comments.

as far as concerns about the darkness of the columns, the whole painting is going to be much darker, i just have to build up the layers. keep your fingers crossed though.

Bethany

pampe
05-13-2003, 11:07 AM
nice start, Bethany

I think the value in the columns is right on......for later additions

Lady's nicely done also!

mustcreate
05-13-2003, 11:10 AM
great textures happening here Bethany.

good job on establishing dark value early on.....I find it's easier to paint the painting as a whole if I do this. :)

em

karenjh
05-13-2003, 11:11 AM
Bethany,

Looks good so far. Can't wait to see what you and Pam do with these paintings.

lyn lynch
05-13-2003, 11:18 AM
Agree w/Emily's comment about establishing darks early on; this seems to work better for me, inspite of the advice I get about leaving darks for last.

Love the lady, Beth, lovely sensible brogues adds to her believability, texture on the ground fabulous. Looking like another winner from our girl.

Gilberte
05-13-2003, 01:15 PM
On the watch-list indeed ...;)

Nandie
05-13-2003, 03:08 PM
Looking good, Bethany....

Now that dove flying overhead TOTALLY explains why the lady has her umbrella open!!! LOL!:D :D

babybrush
05-14-2003, 10:30 AM
Thanks to all of you who are following this. great to hear all your imput. next crack about the pigeons though, and i'll have to take my umbrella to your head.:evil:

here is the full painting at current stage. building values on floor and ceiling, added some washes to columns, painted pigeons. left i have to finish the floor (reflections/shadows) and paint the windows on the right.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2003/11882-umbrella_WIP.JPG

Bethany

babybrush
05-14-2003, 10:32 AM
ps-can you find all five pigeons?

Bethany

Nandie
05-14-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by babybrush
ps-can you find all five pigeons?

Bethany

Heh.... it took me a second or two, but I did find #5!!!! Looking really good, Bethany!

My pidgeon/umbrella theory still holds tho........

**ducks while Bethany swings**

babybrush
05-14-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Nandie

Heh.... it took me a second or two, but I did find #5!!!! Looking really good, Bethany!

My pidgeon/umbrella theory still holds tho........

**ducks while Bethany swings**

*braining Nandie with pigeon poodooed umbrella*

lyn lynch
05-14-2003, 01:51 PM
Since my proximity close to TX, I whisper "yes, saw all 5 immediately

Looks wonderful, lovely ground layup, reflections from columns on right wall will be great mirror image. Still loving old lady brogues--like we were issued in USAF--look like sin but Oh! so comfortable.

hopefulbucky
05-14-2003, 02:00 PM
Really looking great. Love the composition and the sun shining through on the left.

One question, I think I read earlier that you used salt on your building on the first wash. When you do this, do you do salt on each continuous wash? Or does it hold through the various layers? Thanks for the answer.

Will keep watching, really beautiful, love the old lady.

P.S. Also found 5 pigeons, watch out below!!!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

babybrush
05-14-2003, 02:08 PM
:evil: for fookie. thanks for watching

hopefulbucky-i did a yellowish wash on the floor and sprinkled it with salt. when that was completely dry, i washed it with a pink and sprinkled that with salt. since my colors were transparent, both salt paterns showed through. here is a closeup of the floor where it is currently. the hope was that it would cal to mind wet mottled pavers.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2003/11882-salt_work.JPG

bethany

painterbear
05-14-2003, 04:41 PM
Bethany,

I could only see 4 pigeons so I think she has the fifth one in her hand that is inside her coat, and she is taking him home to make roast squab for dinner.:evil:

I am really liking your painting. The floor does look like a polished terrazzo that is sparkling from the water that has gotten on it from the street and people's feet.

I like your colors too.

Fookie, the Sisters of St. Joseph who taught me in grade school also wore those brogans under their habits. ;)

hopefulbucky
05-14-2003, 04:58 PM
bethany, thanks for the explanation and visual:p

interesting and I want to try it on some buildings.

You are really doing a superb job on your painting.:clap: :clap:

mpopinz
05-14-2003, 06:04 PM
I like it! Good color, nice depth too. Overall, a very good work.

babybrush
05-14-2003, 06:09 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2003/11882-umbrella.JPG

Turned out really dominant violet, rose, yellow tones. hope this is a good scan. it is very atmospheric in real life, really draws you in. hope you likes.

Bethany

PS this IS the final as far as i'm concerned, but if you folks see something i don't, feel free to speak up, love to hear your comments.

Bethany

lyn lynch
05-14-2003, 06:38 PM
Beautiful finish!
Love the ceiling treatment, nothing to stop the eye.
Wonderful granite squared wall and grill work; impossible to image that done any better.
Ceiling lights appropriate scale for distance and to show enormous height of ceiling vs. height of old lady in BROGANS [Thanks, Sylvia, could NOT remember the name].
Floor exactly reminiscent of Terazzo, as Sylvia said, great reflections of lady and pigeon and colums.
Perhaps it is the scan, but I like to see a bit more lost and found dark of other than purple in the column shadows, just to give more interest and slow the eye.
Love the transition of back wall left to right, the widest on left naturally leds to the hint on right.
A+ young lady! :D

karenjh
05-14-2003, 06:52 PM
Love it just as it is. I love the way you did the floor - thanks for showing the close-up. I like the way you finished off the windows on the right. Your perspective is so darn good! The "find the pigeon" game was fun too LOL

Clasje
05-14-2003, 09:04 PM
I love just about everything in this picture. Only one tiny nit, where's the bird poop on the umbrella LOL?

Bethany, I'm just kidding of course. Very lovely painting and very pleasing effects.

Clasje :)

madmum
05-15-2003, 02:25 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Beautiful!!!!!

(And I found the pigeons :D )

Ruth

rks
05-15-2003, 02:37 AM
Bethany, I've been watching this WIP and congratulate you on a stunning painting.

Roberta

ripvanblair
05-15-2003, 03:40 AM
Bethany this is very good , I like the reflections, and the colour of the stones, the whole thing is very satisfying to look at--------well done---------Alan

artmom
05-15-2003, 04:10 AM
Bethany, this is superb! I finally found that 5th pigeon!

M.A.
05-15-2003, 05:20 AM
Beatutiful Bethany!!!! :clap:
Is the fifth pigeon in the lamp near the ceiling?

Olga
05-15-2003, 05:26 AM
Wonderful finish, Bethany!
I really like it.
The warm colors are subtle and splendid and give the paintnig a very pleasant atmosphere and unity. Every detail is so well done, too: the floor, the ironwork on the windows, the columns... and of course the lady who looks like she is really rushing ahead so she doesn't even bother to close her umbrella in the arcades (here is my only nitpick and it might be the scan: I think a tad more value difference between the handle of the umbrella and her coat would make it have more depth at that point--but it's really really minior)

Oh--did I say, I like this?

Olga

Kate Mc
05-15-2003, 06:17 AM
Super, super, super....

Kate

Uschi
05-15-2003, 07:58 AM
Beautiful painting Bethany!!:clap: :clap: :clap:
Uschi

Annetta
05-15-2003, 08:49 AM
Wonderful finish Bethany! :clap: I finally found the fifth pigeon :p

babybrush
05-15-2003, 08:58 AM
thanks everyone for your lovely comments. great to wake up this morning and read through all your notes. glad you all found the pigeons. 'twas alot of fun. and unlike alot of people in the Color Wheel poll, i didn't plan any of the colors before hand, so i'm really happy with the way it turned out.

Bethany

painterbear
05-15-2003, 09:47 AM
Bethany,

On a scale of 15 stars, this is definitely a 5*****painting! I really like everything about it. Even the sneaky 5th pigeon which I finally found!

Your colors and textures are wonderful. It shows a rainy surface on the floor superbly and the lady definitely is rushing home to get out of the rain. Fabulous interpretation of a wonderful photo.

You are so very talented already at such a young age. Are you going to study art when you go off to college?

CharM
05-15-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Olga
Wonderful finish, Bethany!
I really like it.
The warm colors are subtle and splendid and give the paintnig a very pleasant atmosphere and unity. Every detail is so well done, too: the floor, the ironwork on the windows, the columns... and of course the lady who looks like she is really rushing ahead so she doesn't even bother to close her umbrella in the arcades (here is my only nitpick and it might be the scan: I think a tad more value difference between the handle of the umbrella and her coat would make it have more depth at that point--but it's really really minior)

Olga

What a Grand Finale!!! I had to hunt for the 5th guy too! LOL... very clever girl!!!