PDA

View Full Version : Flags WIP

Turtle33
05-12-2003, 04:23 PM
hi
this is a commission i am working on. i painted this before and it sold and someone wanted me to paint it again.

it is not going to be exactly like the other flags painting. i am not putting all the people in it that i drew previously and there won't be any flags in the background.
i am trying to keep the focus on the flags rather than make it too busy.

if anyone has any comments or suggestions?
thanks
Sarah

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2003/16927-Flags_WIP.jpg

madmum
05-12-2003, 04:27 PM
WOW Sarah, the background buildings are superb!!!! The muted tones will be a perfect foil for the flags :)

Ruth

Nandie
05-12-2003, 04:31 PM
Glad you're doing this as a WIP, Sarah - the first flag painting was stunning!!!

Please tell us what colors you are using. I agree with Ruth about the bg buildings...the muted tones should work very well behind your flags.

CharM
05-12-2003, 04:33 PM
As always, very very very nice Sarah! I really enjoy watching you work...

Turtle33
05-12-2003, 04:52 PM
thanks CharM :) this painting is actually boring for me. i hope to have it done by the weekend. when i do one painting of something, i don't like to go back and do it again.

thanks Nandie :)
i like the colors i am using too. they are also different from the first painting. i became smarter with colors in the last couple years :)
for the buildings, i am using some Paynes gray, Winsor Blue and some cad red for the windows. the black windows, i am just using Holbein Irodori antique black. the other colors are WN.
the window crosses are just Chinese white.
thanks Ruth :D i really want the flags t stand out so i am glad you think the tones will work well.

Sarah

artmom
05-12-2003, 06:21 PM
Sarah, maybe our sitting back watching you paint will make it less boring for you. You are so creative that I'm not surprised you don't like to paint the same subject again!!

Your background is great and shouldn't compete in any way with your flags when you get your colors in. This is exciting--for me, anyway! LOL

Turtle33
05-12-2003, 06:55 PM
thanks Lyn :)
it is strange to paint a painting again but i am modifying things so it is different too.
it is also tedious painting all the windows but i always save my favorite part for last. the flags are my favorite part to paint but i still wish i was further on this.

i will post more tomorrow or Wednesday. i have pottery class tomorrow and then i go to my old high school to use their pottery wheel there :D i also have an art alliance meeting tomorrow night but i am going to paint more tonight.

Sarah

Sher
05-12-2003, 07:15 PM
I just love your style. I can't wait to see the finished painting!

M.A.
05-12-2003, 07:18 PM
I think this is going to be great.

The reference pic is NYC, isn't it? I have a photo from NYC that looks similar to this one, very colorful and cheery.

Turtle33
05-12-2003, 07:27 PM
thanks Fun
the painting is Rockefeller Center, NY. I took the same pcture last year when i was there with my mom. the flags were all the nations flags though! maybe some day, i will paint that picture too but for now, this is enough. i want to paint more fish and some birds :p

thanks Sher. i hope to have it done no later than Sunday

Sarah

pampe
05-12-2003, 07:49 PM
will be stunning, Sarah!!

Turtle33
05-12-2003, 08:32 PM
thanks Pam :D

Strawberry Wine
05-12-2003, 09:30 PM
This is going to be a beauty Sarah. I am really looking forward to see how you paint the folds in the flags. something I have difficulty with.

Gail