PDA

View Full Version : My carousel help needed

madmum
05-12-2003, 04:07 PM
Yes, I know it's a project painting but I need help :(

I'm really not happy with the background so far, but have no idea what I actually want :confused: Is the purple too purple? The roof is horrible, but what can I do to save it?

Thanks to those who looked at this in the project and were so nice :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2003/10535-Carousel_6_small.jpg

Ruth

Turtle33
05-12-2003, 04:13 PM
hi Ruth :)
i think the painting is coming along really well! all the roof needs is a little water, blotting with some TP and some thin lines to build it up a bit.
for the purple, you could try some water and some blotting to bring out some highlights but i like it just the way it is. :clap:

Nandie
05-12-2003, 04:13 PM
Well y'know.... the more I look at the purple the more I actually like it.... it sets off the yellow & gold colors really nicely and adds drama to the painting.

Sorry, don't really know what to do about the roof, but it doesn't look too bad to me....;)

CharM
05-12-2003, 04:15 PM
Ruth, your purple shows up as a very dark blue on my laptop monitor and I rather like it... As to your ceiling... Perhaps you could use a watercolour pencil to add some fine details and then wash over that to soften them... It doesn't look all that bad either... Your horses are coming along great... Don't give up... Others will be along to give you some good advice...

Annetta
05-12-2003, 04:16 PM
Difficult subject but looking good so far Ruth.

...let's see...maybe make the underside of the roof a little darker in places and/or scratch in some little round circles to depict the lights that are always stretched from the rim to the center? I dunno. The horses are looking great!!

I see trees in the background on the left. Is the purple a building or ???. Did you previously post a reference photo?

Good luck. I know you can pull this off!! :clap:

Olga
05-12-2003, 04:21 PM
It will be nice, Ruth.

Love the bright colors in the horses and the composition

I think that purple only stands out so much because there is no color on the floor. So--I would suggest you finish up that before you do anything to the background.

Olga

madmum
05-12-2003, 04:24 PM
Aaaaaaaaawwwwwwww thanks ladies, you seem to have alot of faith in my ability :eek:

I guess I think the purple is too flat, although I wanted a dark background to help the horses stand out. It does look more blue on here though, my camera doesn't like this painting! lol

I nearly masked lights in the roof, but thought it would draw the eye and that's the last thing I want!

Annetta, this is one of the challenge paintings but I used a slightly different photo so I could paint 3 horses. The trees are seen through a window in the side of the permanent cover which houses the carousel.

At least I'm happy with the horses! lol

Ruth

Annetta
05-12-2003, 04:47 PM
Yep, lights would pull the eye away.

You'll be fine....will be checking back for progres :D

M.A.
05-12-2003, 07:52 PM
I think it's coming along really well.

madmum
05-13-2003, 07:18 AM
Happier now :D

Think I need to do a little more work, I always miss something! :rolleyes:

What do you think?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2003/10535-Carousel_7_small.jpg

Ruth

CharM
05-13-2003, 07:27 AM
Ruth... you pulled out of your problems just fine!!! This is almost finished... I can't decide about all the poles... I feel as though your need to darken the foremost pole as well as the one over the right horse... Trouble is, I'm not sure whether or not this would distort your perspective... You need more experienced advice than mine...

Olga
05-13-2003, 07:30 AM
See! I knew you were going to make it work :)
That blue background works well now, I think--not too prominent at all. Good save on the roof, too. And the whole painting has this wonderful happy and sunny carnival atmosphere. Very nice

If I would have any suggestions it would be to darken a bit the horses in the back. I kept staring at this very bright spot there and took me a while to figure out that the light shape is that of 3 more horses (Of course, I am slow...and it could be the scan). I wouldn't define them any better--just make the value a tiny bit darker, so that the horse in front stands out...

It's really great job

Olga

madmum
05-13-2003, 01:31 PM
Thank you Char and Olga. I agree, the horses at the back are too light. Still might darken the purple background, it's a little more pink in person.

Char you're right, it's hard to know whether the poles are working. I tried to give them cooler colours further back, or less detail. So many twirly bits!!!!!

Looking at front centre horse I need to give the saddle area more punch.

Anything else?

Ruth