PDA

View Full Version : The Red Purse

pampe
05-12-2003, 02:40 PM
1/4 sheet Arches

from a reference photo of Hector's (gracias por tu fotografia, Astur)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2003/4054-redpurse.jpg

Comments and critique welcomed

Thanks
Pam

babybrush
05-12-2003, 02:43 PM
i'm working from this same reference photo!! fancy that. yours turned out great. think you could use more texture on the floor, it looks a little blank.

Bethany

Lady Carol
05-12-2003, 02:47 PM
Hmm! I like this a lot. I don't think it needs texture on the floor as it will most likely compete with the lady. It is interesting enough as is.

artmom
05-12-2003, 02:51 PM
Interesting! IMO, a tiny bit more shadow under raised foot.

I like it!

Olga
05-12-2003, 03:12 PM
Great image! I like the subtle blues and pinks. Changing the color of that purse was a super idea, too.

I am not sure about the light source--it seems like it's coming not only fom the front, but also from the side of the wall rather than from the openings between columns?

I would not add any texture to the ground... but on the reference photo the gound is wet and has a faint reflection of the columns which would be tempting.... But--that's from looking at the photo NOT something that's missing in the painting, so you could ignore me...

Olga

madmum
05-12-2003, 03:21 PM
I'm wondering why the lady has her umbrella up when she's under cover!!!!!

I like it, Pam, lovely soft palette and the view through the arch at the end keeps the interest.

Ruth

rks
05-12-2003, 03:41 PM
Pam, I like this one just as it is - beautiful palette! (Aside to Ruth: Good question. Imagine 100 years from now when Pam's painting is hanging in the National Gallery, visitors will be standing in front of it whispering to one another, "Why is her umbrella up?")

Roberta:cat:

pampe
05-12-2003, 03:48 PM
cannot get a decent photo today...try this...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2003/4054-redpurse1.jpg

colors AND values off in that other one....can't even see the red purse:rolleyes:

CharM
05-12-2003, 04:10 PM
My Grandmother wouldn't ever let me open an umbrella indoors!!! So, why is this lady with the elegant purse chancing fate and possibly ill fortune? Is she afraid of being seen or recognized? What has she done? Where is she going?

Pam... great pallette... Her purse looks quite red on my laptop... Which is really strange because colours are usually distorted on this little monitor... I like this...

Nandie
05-12-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by CharM
My Grandmother wouldn't ever let me open an umbrella indoors!!! So, why is this lady with the elegant purse chancing fate and possibly ill fortune? Is she afraid of being seen or recognized? What has she done? Where is she going?

Oooh yes..... a mystery woman off to a secret meeting... or perhaps returning from one? But why does she draw attention to herself with a red purse? And just what is in that hot little handbag..... hmmmmmm????:cool:

Nice Pam, but I'm also wondering.... according to the shadows at the base of the columns, the light source appears to be coming from the left, and yet the hightlight on the umbrella is front & to the right..... was that an oversight or is there another light source in front of our mystery lady? :cool:

madmum
05-12-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Nandie

Oooh yes..... a mystery woman off to a secret meeting... or perhaps returning from one? But why does she draw attention to herself with a red purse? And just what is in that hot little handbag..... hmmmmmm????:cool:

Nice Pam, but I'm also wondering.... according to the shadows at the base of the columns, the light source appears to be coming from the left, and yet the hightlight on the umbrella is front & to the right..... was that an oversight or is there another light source in front of our mystery lady? :cool:

That makes sense!!!!!! She just raised her umbrella ready for going through another archway into the rain!!!!!

:D

lyn lynch
05-12-2003, 04:35 PM
Very nice, I like it, good palette. The lady's feet need grounding.

pampe
05-12-2003, 05:40 PM
well, it's raining cats and dogs and got REALLY dark...so I will wait until there is so some to take the final photo

Thanks for looking

I love your creative minds;)

I am NOT pleased with this...the motherwash started out wrong and I could not pull it back to what I wanted....so I will need to "do-over" as the kids say.

Bethany, I look forward to seeing yours

Ruth..maybe it's a short cover and it was raining when she walked thru....so she left it open.....

Roberta, that's a lovely thought......:cat:

Char...such a drama queen!!! who knew?

well, Andrea....it is daylight...so the columns are shadowed inside...but there is light flowing to the windows....and from the front where she is headed.....which is open....and I FIXED the umbrella:)

fooks...consider her grounded....

karenjh
05-12-2003, 05:41 PM
Lovely painting. With her head covered by that umbrella it really makes you want to see her face! That is the beauty of this.

Nitsa
05-12-2003, 06:17 PM
Oh Pampe....I love this one!
Great perspective and great story to this painting....My imagination ran wild!
I think darker shadows could add even more drama to this piece but I also think it works very well just as!

Uschi
05-12-2003, 06:43 PM
Well, I have news for you posters, we always used to leave our umbrellas up going in and out of these arcades.

What my question is - Where exactly is this in Paris HA! I think this painting is misnamed and should be called "avoidance"!, still, I like it Pam!
Uschi

Yorky
05-12-2003, 07:19 PM
She doesn't want to ne recognised because she is wearing odd shoes! :D :evil:

(duck)

Doug

M.A.
05-12-2003, 07:28 PM
Lookin' good. Where's the pigeon?

The first one is too dark. -she doesn't like to have her photo taken.

The second one is too light. - is she hiding from the sun ("my precious")

Looking forward to seeing the one that is *just right* because it looks like a beautiful painting ... I saved this pic from Hector's RIL too ... really thought it would be interesting to have the pigeon in it. So if I ever get around to it (a-round-tuit) then I'm gonna try to work that pigeon in there. lol.

tigre255
05-12-2003, 07:29 PM
This is a very interesting thread.....such drama for a painting.....i like that.....

Oh yeah love the painting too......you did a good job of it and can't wait to see this one played out...........:D :D :D

karenjh
05-12-2003, 07:48 PM
She doesn't want to be recognized because she just left her lover and can't be found out!

al22
05-12-2003, 07:53 PM
I like this one.........mysterious......... Should be the cover to Alfred Hitchcock book......
......al

Annetta
05-12-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by karenjh
She doesn't want to be recognized because she just left her lover and can't be found out!

.....and considering the way she's holding that coat shut, I bet she's nakey underneath :eek: :p :p

Great "mysterious" painting worth much speculation!! :clap: :clap:

Little Old Lady
05-12-2003, 08:53 PM
A picture that elicits such drama has to be good! and it is.
JoAnn

karenjh
05-12-2003, 08:54 PM
Annetta - That is a riot!

Rich Williams
05-12-2003, 09:14 PM
Pam did not read all the way through but she appears to be floating, and a bit more connection to the floor through shadow would be in order. Even if it does not show in the original photo it is required here.

Other wise a very interesting and thought provoking painting.

Rich

tigre255
05-12-2003, 09:17 PM
And the story of the mysterious lady evolves.........:D :D :D :evil:

matingara
05-12-2003, 09:17 PM
Very nice Young Pam. It tells a story - it has a lovely composition.

I like it alot!

:)

Joel.

lyn lynch
05-12-2003, 09:30 PM
A pigeon in flight would account for the open umbrella, or perhaps she is Mary Poppins.

pampe
05-12-2003, 09:56 PM
Karen...thanks...that was the plan:)

Usch..you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT..not up to Paris yet:eek:

*smacking Doug*

MaryAnn...look forward to your pidgeon
AND..the real one is somewhere in between

al.....too bad Hitch is dead, eh

AnnettA!!!!!!! :eek: :evil: :evil:

thanks, JoA

Richard...she has been grounded, yes (and we put a string on her too)

fooks.....:D

Crystal Owl
05-13-2003, 08:17 AM
Nice one Pam, love the colors and depth in this.

IRene