PDA

View Full Version : New portrait

Matt Sammekull
05-12-2003, 02:28 PM
Yes.. I'm on it. This is the fourth face I painted in these two days... Having my family away from home a couple of days sure gave me time I never thought I'd have.
So, in this I tried to get a more subdued finish, not so strong in color and contrast... I believe I succeeded to some extent.

//Matt

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2003/15549-new.jpg

artmom
05-12-2003, 02:33 PM
Matt, this is wonderful!

babybrush
05-12-2003, 02:39 PM
this is great!! i really like your style.

Bethany

pampe
05-12-2003, 02:41 PM
very nicely done, Matt

what type paper is that? and what size?

CharM
05-12-2003, 03:16 PM
Matt, your portraits are sooooo good! I do like the approach you took with this one... I'm viewing this on a laptop, so my next comment may not be viable... Your subject's nose looks very pink to me... I would like to see a little truer skin tone...

Flattwo
05-12-2003, 03:21 PM
Hi Matt

I like this a lot..put me in the mood to try some portraiture

Regards

Flattwo

rks
05-12-2003, 03:31 PM
Matt, I like your style. Think you definitely succeeded here with the "subdued" mood. In fact, she looks almost sad in her black dress and necklace. Was that your intent? Did you paint her with a live model or from a reference photo????

Roberta

lynn_cyr
05-12-2003, 04:38 PM
Matt, you've definately captured the mood you were looking for - what a great face!!

Lynn

Gia
05-12-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by pampe
very nicely done, Matt

what type paper is that? and what size?

agree, very good , and my guess is it`s painted on Arches 300 g rough.

lyn lynch
05-12-2003, 04:59 PM
Matt, I do like your painting style. I think you have overdone with the dark separating her head from the ponytail, just a slap of brown would have conveyed the same separation. Likewise on the opposite side of her head where the overdone brown gives the appearance of a helmet--head by Harley Davidson. Just suggest the pony. Or, you could deepen the b/g values. I think the skin tones are great, but would prefer to see the white glint on top of her nose and the darker value on the underside showing its depth.

As for the drawing, to me it looks off in relationship to an actual persons features. I point particularly to the position of the far eye and the ear relating to the nose and mouth.

Love the texture from your paper, it adds much to the feel of your work. I think you are doing a great job w/your portraits. Sally forth and all that rot...LOl

surreal
05-12-2003, 07:14 PM
Matt,
It is a lovely portrait!!!

M.A.
05-12-2003, 07:22 PM
Lovely portrait.
Nice draperies too.
It may just be my monitor but her nose looks odd. I think running the highlight down the top of her nose instead of the side it might help.