PDA

View Full Version : Racing the Storm

Alan Cross
05-12-2003, 02:23 PM
Ok here is the next one a full sheet 22X30 again mostly wet on wet and I saved all the detail for the fishing boats.....
Comments always welcome
Alan :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2003/13186-Racng_the_storm.jpg

artmom
05-12-2003, 02:31 PM
Alan, I believe that this is my absolute favorite of all your paintings I have seen! The colors are wonderful and the painting is definitely evocative of an oncoming storm and boats heading home. I used to live by the sea.:)

babybrush
05-12-2003, 02:47 PM
LOVE IT! if i had any money, i wouldn't mind buying this. but i'm poor, so you will have to be satisfied with my praises. great job.

Bethany

els
05-12-2003, 03:04 PM
Outstanding!!! The water is incredible, and your sky is fantastic...

Alan Cross
05-12-2003, 03:19 PM
Hi Lyn and thanks for looking and commenting...glad you liked it that much!!

Originally posted by babybrush
LOVE IT! if i had any money, i wouldn't mind buying this. but i'm poor, so you will have to be satisfied with my praises. great job.

Bethany

Bethany thanks very much I am very happy it hit you like that....I also forgot to mention this is another one that I just sold in my little show....

Els thanks for your comments...... Well its off to teach for the rest of the afternoon see you all later!

rks
05-12-2003, 03:24 PM
Alan, This is another beauty. I particularly admire the freshness of your work. No one can accuse you of overpainting. LOL
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Roberta:cat:

CharM
05-12-2003, 03:55 PM
Alan, this is excellent and congratulations on the sale! The sky has that "Perfect Storm" look to it again... BTW, that storm system lasted from October 30th to November 1st in 1991 and was originally called the Halloween Nor'Easter blowing off the coast of Nova Scotia... Irrevelent to this beautiful picture, but interesting nonetheless (if you enjoy trivia)...

lyn lynch
05-12-2003, 05:06 PM
I enjoy trivia, Char. That storm was the basis for the movie and George Clooney portrayed the captain...all hands were lost at sea. :crying:

Ah-HA! This good painting, Alan, love the proud masts and contrast thereof.

bluesrbest
05-12-2003, 06:33 PM
Alan, love the feeling of this one. Very clean lines and the sky colors are wonderful. My only thought was those choppy waves would be pushing the bows of the boats upward a bit more - now they seem to be flat in the water.
______
Rhonda

surreal
05-12-2003, 07:13 PM
It is a beauty!!!

:D

Sher
05-12-2003, 07:27 PM
Just enough detail and wonderful motion!

M.A.
05-12-2003, 07:30 PM
Oh wow! I love this. Amazing water!!! A real sense of moving out of the storm.
:clap:

Alan Cross
05-12-2003, 07:55 PM
Roberta thanks glad you liked it.....

CharM thanks for the trivia I will have to watch that movie one of these days!

Auntie again thanks for the comments..

Rhonda I see your point but I am sure these boats are full of fish so they are riding low ....how's that ?

Nina thanks for looking in....

Sher I am glad you get that feeling from it....

fun2cook thanks I am glad you like the water I always have a hard time with it....

Thanks all

Phillip
05-12-2003, 07:59 PM
This is great Alan.

Love it. I to if I could afford I would buy this..

bluesrbest
05-12-2003, 07:59 PM
Alan - thanks for clearing that up for me - makes perfect sense! LOL
______
Rhonda

Lampburke
05-12-2003, 08:02 PM
Alan, that is an amazing piece of work. Now off to look at your website....

tigre255
05-12-2003, 08:04 PM
Ohhhh I like the sky in this one better than the other......good job also on the boats.........

Alan Cross
05-12-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Phillip
This is great Alan.

Love it. I to if I could afford I would buy this..

THanks Phillip I take that as a compliment :)

Rhonda LOL ;)

Lampburke thanks and enjoy my site one of these days I will have to do some updates....it is kind of dated now....my scanner was broken for a long time....

Barb thanks glad you liked that sky....I really like painting them!

Rich Williams
05-12-2003, 09:26 PM
Alan very nice work and I can see why it sold quickly. Congrats on the success of your show.

Rich

Strawberry Wine
05-12-2003, 09:36 PM
Beautiful Alan, Excellent rigging work and glad you have those sails down and boats are heading to shore on engine power.

Gail

karenboss
05-12-2003, 09:53 PM
:clap: and for the other one that I saw but didn't reply: :clap: both are wonderful, dramatic - exquisite!

ptantono
05-12-2003, 10:06 PM
Excellent work on the sky Alan. Another great piece of your work. Wont be difficult to find a customer for such a great painting. :angel:

macmaam
05-12-2003, 10:45 PM
All the motion of the sky and water seems to be hurrying them along. VWD!

Alan Cross
05-13-2003, 12:54 AM
Thanks Rich yes its always nice to sell a few things...

Gail these are fishing boats so those poles are for rigging not sails.....Thanks for looking in and the nice comments..

Karen, thanks for looking at both of them and commenting on this one.....its kind of one of my fav's right now!

Patricia thanks yes this one is already sold off to a good home.

macmaam thanks yes they are staying just out of the storm :)

Sharon Douglas
05-13-2003, 06:24 AM
Alan,
I thought that you said you have trouble with painting water,as far as I can tell the water is brilliant, as is the whole painting. No wonder it sold .
Sharon.

painterbear
05-13-2003, 06:37 AM
Alan,

I like the composition on this one a lot with the fishing boats racing the reach safe harbor before the menacing storm on the left gets to them.

I think the different blues you used add a lot to the drama of the painting.

Definitely one of my favorites of yours.

matingara
05-13-2003, 08:24 AM
Alan,

Very nice - the sea has that greasy look that it gets when the oncoming clouds are getting slowly, inevitably grayer.

Evocative and it tells a lovely story.

Well done.

:)

Joel.

Annetta
05-13-2003, 08:30 AM
You're just on a roll aren't ya!! :p

Great detail and colors Alan. SO glad you got your camera back and can share again!! :clap: :clap:

Congrats on another sale too!! :D

Crystal Owl
05-13-2003, 10:05 AM
Another nice one Alan, you really captured the storm there.

Irene

Alan Cross
05-13-2003, 11:07 AM
Sharon thanks so glad you liked it.....

Sylvia thanks yes i used two blues ultra and C to get not only the sky but also the water....

Joel thanks for looking in and commenting....

Annetta thanks its nice to be back! although I didn't stop painting LOL

Irene thanks yes it was the edge of the storm I was looking for...