PDA

View Full Version : no title yet, wip, too blue?

s-augustson
05-12-2003, 12:07 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-12-2003/7809_hillswip.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: no title yet, wip, too blue?
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 9x12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
WIP

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
This is 15 minutes into the painting. I am trying to incorporate more color into my landscapes. I like the sky so far. The back hill area, does it seem too blue? I remembered a post by andyvry about using blue for the far away stuff so I was attempting this.

Also, does the yellow in the sky stand out too much?

I am going to add some of my angular trees into this as well. They along with the skies seem to be my two favorite parts of my paintings.

s-augustson
05-12-2003, 12:07 PM
PS. ignore the foreground. Its a painting I am painting over so the old one is still showing through.

JaneS
05-12-2003, 12:57 PM
Not too blue and not too yellow. The joy of this painting is IN the colors. To me, to diminish any of them would be to lose what this is all about!

Will be interested to see the "angular trees", too!
---Jane

s-augustson
05-12-2003, 01:31 PM
a little more added to it.

Gilberte
05-12-2003, 03:48 PM
I like the brushstrokes of the trees. Maybe some yellow in the foreground too ?

jerryW
05-12-2003, 04:35 PM
glad you posted both, the first is a much better painting/composition.
you could stop earlier and enrich the world more.
no need to be like others.

Helen Zapata
05-12-2003, 04:35 PM
Coming along nicely, Shawn! I love your confetti trees.

And the sky is terrific. :)

Helen

s-augustson
05-12-2003, 05:37 PM
I think I am done with it. I titled it "boulder field"

I cant get off the painting I did called barefoot pond.
http://www.augustson.com/barefoot.html
I keep wanting to paint more like this, but it doesn't seem to turn out that way again.

on my wall though, all 4 landscapes hanging next to each other look pretty cool together.

my next landscape I am going to try more of a minimalist approach.

mattlart
05-12-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by jerryW
glad you posted both, the first is a much better painting/composition.
you could stop earlier and enrich the world more.
no need to be like others.

I'll agree with Jerry on this one. Your first 15 minutes were WELL spent...:)
Since you've come this far however,....a couple of suggestions.....
You might consider softening some edges on those trees ,..giving your painting more of a feeling of depth.........;and a bit of mystery.
Gilberte also had a good suggestion....:cool: Some yellow,..and, methinks,..some lavender/purple in the foreground could work nicely... Good Luck,-S

Wayne Gaudon
05-12-2003, 05:53 PM
I like the direction you are taking .. these are really coming along nicely ..

s-augustson
05-12-2003, 05:53 PM
yeah I was painting away before I saw Jerry and Gilberte's post. I will let hang here a bit so I can look at it for awhile.

bocote
05-12-2003, 07:57 PM
Welp darn. I missed the WIP and its done now. I would have added that I didnt think the blue was too much, but looking at it now I might say not enough.

honestly I like your last 3 more than this one. Not that this one isnt good, but perhaps this one was more of a practice- not sure.

Like most everything else. when you put paint on the canvas be confident with your choices and your ideas will come true. Your ideas are nothing short of incredible.

have fun,

bocote

Lorijo
05-12-2003, 10:18 PM
I like it, I love the trees. The whole composition is nice. Lorijo

artinoils
05-13-2003, 03:48 AM
Shawn, have to agree that the first is better. It has energy and the colors, their placement and brushstrokes are all helping to enliven it. Not too blue or yellow. Nice work.

s-augustson
05-13-2003, 07:23 AM
so by not adding the trees and everything it would have been better? Just sky then hills.

I think I will try one like that today.

andyvry
05-13-2003, 10:46 AM
Someone mention my name?.............:D :D

Hi Shawn,

Looking at this and some of your current pictures, I'd say you were on to something............and reading the comments thus far, I can only agree, and particularly with jerry's thought provoking words and Bocote's advice about being confident with your choices, etc.

The initial image of your painting showed a lot of promise, but then it's as if you are unsure......uncertain even, of how to progress with it. The foreground to me looks 'undecided', if you like. I don't know if you had a definite plan in mind or you were just making it up as you went along.....:p Comparing this with the likes of "Barefoot Pond" there is a marked lack of 'assertiveness' showing in the brushwork in the foreground of this painting. The sky and trees are completely the opposite......quite spectacular, in fact, and very effective. I think having a defined plan.......a few sketches, for sure, would help you 'grow' and develop quite quickly. You don't have to stick exactly to the plan of course, but you'll have a sound base to work off, if you know what I mean....

More of a Minimalist approach for the next one, huh? Or do you mean, 'Gestural'........ as in, "loose impressionistic" ?

andy.

BTW, if you can't take your camera with you on manouvres, at least take a small sketch pad, eh?..............Oh, and don't forget your pencil........... :D ;)

HRobinson
05-13-2003, 04:06 PM
... yeah, your there now. The smallest canvas you should be working with now is 18x24. -Harry

s-augustson
05-13-2003, 06:15 PM
- Harry Thanks for the comments! I am not sure about the 18x24 just yet :) I am going to do some more 9x12's for awhile.

Andy - another landscape tonight possibly. Going to try everyone's suggestions from this thread to help this next painting. I have been making the landscapes up. Sometimes I see a hill or a tree though in a photo and work from that.