PDA

View Full Version : Homestead

William Reents
05-12-2003, 10:21 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2003/21923-oldhouse2.jpg

Water Color 12 x 9 Critique Welcome

bswilson1147
05-12-2003, 10:23 AM
Good work on the trees and foliage! At first I thought this was your reference photo. The only thing I would do is add some cerulean blue in the sky. It looks too pale to me.

babybrush
05-12-2003, 10:49 AM
well done. love the "window through the trees" look

Bethany

CharM
05-12-2003, 11:17 AM
I'm viewing this on my laptop and the picture is soft.... I pulled it onto my harddrive and autobalanced it... Oila!!! It's absolutely stunning! I was going to tell you to add more dark values, but you have already done that!!! The composition is excellent and I especially like the purple in your building!!!

painterbear
05-12-2003, 11:22 AM
Hello William,

Another lovely composition. I like the way the trees frame the house and point your eyes into the painting.

Something about the house troubles me. I think it may be that the roof is the same value and color (almost) as the body of the house. You might consider adding another wash or two over the roof to make it a different value, it seems to be too much of the same thing as it is now.

I like the way you paint foliage, suggesting the masses of leaves, rather than painting each one. The burnt sienna mixed with the grasses is very nice too.

wayfarer
05-12-2003, 11:24 AM
I like this, William. Have to agree about the sky. It appears as if the blue of the sky is reflected in the windows (nice touch!), so it may help to see more of that in the sky. Nice confident handling of the medium though!

Chris

Astur
05-12-2003, 11:32 AM
I like the composition, very eye catching..... good job

surreal
05-12-2003, 11:37 AM
I like your style very much.
Lovely painting with an eery feel to it!

jkook
05-12-2003, 12:24 PM
Very nice. I like the way you painted this.

Yorky
05-12-2003, 12:35 PM
Very nice - I like the foliage.

Doug

Mary Smith
05-12-2003, 02:14 PM
I love the viewpoint and I love the painting. Very nice.

Gilberte
05-12-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by babybrush
well done. love the "window through the trees" look

Bethany

ditto ... ditto !

William Reents
05-12-2003, 04:04 PM
This is the first Water Color in over a year, I finished it a couple days ago. It was a Photo of a house I come across out on a drive.

I like to paint when it rains , when I have to stay in the house. We have had a good bit of rain this last week and so a painting.
:---)

Thank you all for your comments
William

pampe
05-12-2003, 07:51 PM
I'm glad you are doing this again!

This is a beautiful painting as is...eeerie or mellow, it works!

Pam

M.A.
05-12-2003, 07:55 PM
Beautiful painting.

surreal
05-12-2003, 08:07 PM
I forgot to mention that I like your palette very much.
:D

Strawberry Wine
05-12-2003, 08:56 PM
Hi William: I like the composition of this painting very much.

I agree about the addition of some more blue in the sky.

painterbear made a suggestion about adding some colour to the roof. I am thinking that a touch of the sienna in the grasses would look good.

Please post this again if you decide to make any changes.

Beautiful work and glad you have painted again.

Gail

Rich Williams
05-12-2003, 09:18 PM
William nice work and I like the composition that you worked here. IMHO you need to bump the foreground about 1/2 a tone to bring it forward a bit. A touch or two of burnt sienna will also bring it forward and warm up the painting just a touch. For what it is worth.

Rich

macmaam
05-12-2003, 10:08 PM
I VERY much like the mood of this painting. From the overgrowth of the trees and shrubs, it looks as though the house should be somewhat dilapidated, however, so maybe sanding across the house siding and drooping the roof or adding some holes and broken windows would be effective. And don't touch the sky!!!! If anything, glaze over the windows a bit to give them a faded curtain/dirty look. The foreground foliage does seem mostly more greyed than the middle ground, but i think that is part of what evokes the feeling of better times in the past.

If it was not intended to be an abandoned house, well... it should be! Your treatment gives a wonderful sense of having just brushed aside a branch to find a faded bit of history.