PDA

View Full Version : A call for help

tigre255
05-12-2003, 08:59 AM
I'm going to sumit a painting to a juried show for the Fl Watercolor Society here in Orlando. All artist are only allowed one painting......so here are eight of what is my considered opinion my best......

Please give me your suggestion as to which one you think I should use or any other one that you might remember of mine not listed here.......thank you ahead of time.......

1. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2003/3748-Bahamas_6sm.jpg 2. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2003/3748-books-lamp-sm.jpg

3. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2003/3748-BOP-sm.jpg 4. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2003/3748-duck_4sm.jpg

5. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2003/3748-landscapes_sm.jpg 6. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2003/3748-seascape_2sm.jpg

7. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2003/3748-sunflower_finished2sm.jpg 8. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2003/3748-threeflowers_sm.jpg

bswilson1147
05-12-2003, 09:07 AM
Barb, I like #5 best because of the reflections and colors.
You did a great job on the distant trees. Good luck!

Annetta
05-12-2003, 09:07 AM
Dang, Barb. You don't ask for much do ya!! :p

I like them all....boy this is a tough one. Okay, I've managed to narrow it down to 1 and 7....but 5 is great too. Sheesh!! Do they look for a particular subject or style?....or in general.

This is going to be interesting to see what everyone else chooses. A real toughie!!!

Uschi
05-12-2003, 09:10 AM
Barb, they are all beautiful!!! but when it comes down to where the rubber hits the road, it is the jurer's taste that really matters and since we don't know what it is I think one will have as good of a chance as the next.

That's why I personally don't enter these shows. So, I am no help at all except to wish you good luck!!!!!
Uschi

els
05-12-2003, 09:14 AM
Alll beautiful, but my vote goes to #1...

Annetta
05-12-2003, 09:17 AM
....okay I looked again and changed my mind...which I'm allowed to do because I am a woman :p I would go with either 1 or 5. Like Uschi said, best of luck!! :D Keep us posted.

rapolina
05-12-2003, 09:26 AM
Ciao Annetta!
i like 5, but i think that is is a too classic as painting.
3 is a great impression composition, realistic and at the same time abstract... it has more personality IMHO.

of course, it also depends on the "style" of the exposition.

good luck! ;)

ciao, rapolina.

lynn_cyr
05-12-2003, 09:28 AM
My two favs: #1 and #5. Although I like #1 the best, I'm not sure if I'm fond of the palm leaf covering the other palm tree in the back... compositionally speaking, I'm just not sure if this would be a "no-no"?.

But I agree with Uschi, it really all depends on who the juror is. Any way of finding that out? If you know his/her name, you can do some searches on the Web to find any of his/her works, just to get an idea of what they do (landscape? still life? colorful? dull colors?). It might be a good judge on what they personally like to see.

Hope this helps! :)

Lynn

pampe
05-12-2003, 09:45 AM
Barb, before you decide....

who is the juror?

look at their work

look at other show's they have judged and read what they say about the winner

CharM
05-12-2003, 09:53 AM
Barb, all of your work is good... I don't envy your predicament, because it's going to be a tough decision. Having no experience with juried shows, I can offer little advice, only my support. If I were to choose one from among this selection, my preference would be #4... the water and reflections are very soft and loose, with the duck being detailed and richly coloured... However, I don't see your blue poppies which I adored... Both studies were stunning...

Lyn C. and Pam's advice is on the money...

tigre255
05-12-2003, 10:03 AM
Char the bluepoppies are sold......thank you for your help.....

Thank you all for your suggestions and help.......:eek: This may drive me crazy.......here is the link to the juriors website.....Mark E. Mehaffey, AWS, NWS (http://www.emill.com/mehaffeygallery/statement.html)

He's got some colorful work.......

pampe
05-12-2003, 10:07 AM
Barb

his statement:

After spending hours and hours on a very controlled spray painting, I find myself dreaming of mists, clouds, rain and water. My brush seems to take on a life of its own as I try to express the feeling of a summer storm or fish hunting in the shallows. In my non objective work, I wonder if I can evoke strong feelings from a viewer by manipulating the elements of art. Can line, color, shape and value be juxtaposed to have the same emotional impact as a thunder storm?

and PM Larry S...to see if he knows him.....

after looking at his work and reading his stuff....I am inclined to say 3 and 7......

Square Dancer
05-12-2003, 10:20 AM
The responders must be right----it is a matter of personal taste. My friend and I both chose #2. I feel this is the one that required the most skill. I think this is a wonderful composition. Please don't pick #8. Even though I like it alot, it would be instantly recognized as a Terry Madden workshop piece. Good luck in the show, or as they say in the theater, "break a leg!"

NeerlysGal
05-12-2003, 10:24 AM
I am with Pam.

My vote would be for #7.

I think this is just awesome!:D

tigre255
05-12-2003, 10:34 AM
Thank you Pam, I will pm Larry.......

thank you Square Dancer and NeerlysGal for your support....

SD your right and why I put that one in there I don't know.....call it a senior moment........lol thank you for pointing that out to me.......

CharM
05-12-2003, 10:36 AM
...and his Resume is pretty impressive!!! I also have to agree with his descriptive in that his paintings evoke quite a bit of emotion. So.... my vote goes with #7!

I didn't know you sold the poppies... I loved them... Congratulations...

tigre255
05-12-2003, 10:43 AM
Thanks Char, yes they sold Friday.......ran for the whole auction till the last minute then two bidders started bidding against them........

Oh Pam I pm'd Larry...........thanks......;)

painterbear
05-12-2003, 11:31 AM
Hi Barb,

I like #5 because of the strong colors and the painterly washes. I see that in the jurist's works too.

I think #7 would be my second choice because it is very much an expression of your reaction to the flower, not a photo-realism painting of one.

Please take photos of the show and let us know what you think of it.

tigre255
05-12-2003, 11:43 AM
Thank Sylvia......wether I get juried in or not I'm going to go to see the lovely paintings there.....It runs from Sept 19 to Jan. 5. thats how long the painting will be up and they have workshops (which i can't afford) and a banquet(sp) and an award dinner....I think it will be fun and it's only for the members of the Fl Watercolor Society, which I joined late last year........

Astur
05-12-2003, 11:51 AM
Only my personal taste, not know nothing about shows or jurier..

my favourite is 2, then 7... and I don't like 1, because is a very typical scene and composition.. millions of "same paintings" out there....

just an opinion, good look in the show

Crystal Owl
05-12-2003, 11:57 AM
Hi Barb,

I like # 3 , Good Luck!!!

Irene

Peggy Gross
05-12-2003, 12:15 PM
Hi Barb

I like 2 first and then #1 for what my vote is worth.
I agree that 2 took alot of skill to complete.

Peggy G

Olga
05-12-2003, 12:29 PM
I would choose 3 because of the color and composition--and it has a more abstract look to it which this juror seems to favor in his own work

Good Luck, Barb

Olga

Yorky
05-12-2003, 12:32 PM
Gotta be No.7 for my money - its a striking image.

Doug

Darren
05-12-2003, 01:47 PM
I think they're all great, but I'd pick #2 because it seems the most "non-conventional"

good luck

darren

Mary Smith
05-12-2003, 02:09 PM
I like #5, but what about one of your glorious horse paintings?

artmom
05-12-2003, 02:27 PM
#7 gets my vote!

Lyn

Alan Cross
05-12-2003, 02:28 PM
Well Barb I am going to not pick any of these....the one I reallly liked is your lastest landscape...
Alan :)
ps good luck!!

tigre255
05-12-2003, 03:00 PM
Thank you Astur, Irene, Peggy, Olga, Doug, Darren, Mary, Lyn, and Alan......

Mary not sure about one of my horse paintings.....will have to think on that one.......

Alan.....hummmmm Maybe I'll consider that one too....thank you......

rks
05-12-2003, 03:53 PM
Barb, I don't envy you choosing among these, but how nice to have eight excellent paintings to choose from. My vote is for #3 - IMHO it's a stunner and, hopefully, will stand out from the crowd. All the best of luck in this show, and please keep us posted.

Roberta

madmum
05-12-2003, 04:01 PM
My absolute favourite would be 3, Barb, it's dramatic and loose.

Good luck!

Ruth

tigre255
05-12-2003, 04:20 PM
Thank you Roberta, yes will keep you posted.......thanks for looking in and commenting.....

Thank you Ruth.....it's so hard to pick when you can only choose one to send in.......that one is one of my favorites too.....

Gia
05-12-2003, 04:43 PM
They are all very good, but nr. 2 gets my vote. good luck to you , now. Barb.

debawills
05-12-2003, 06:18 PM
After reading Pam's quote from the jurors notes I would say that number 5 seems to be the picture of his words.

Good luck with the show.

Debbie

jkook
05-12-2003, 06:26 PM
My vote is for #7. I also agree with Alan that your last landscape was excellent and has to be considered.
Jim

LarrySeiler
05-12-2003, 06:43 PM
After spending some time on his site....reading his statement and what motivates him. I have to ask why him? Why does he judge for this show?

That of course brings up the obvious in that the institution sponsoring this show (whether by committee or individuals) appreciates his aesthetic, his thinking and passion as an artist, and his work.

Knowing that he was inviting to judge this, and the honor that it is, he knows that a weight of confidence was put upon his reputation and aesthetic eye.

It is difficult for judges to be objective under such circumstances.

Often an artist that is working from nature that eventually finds a path that is more creative more abstract...is striving to touch something more basic, something more aesthetically "sensed" in nature...and the concern is how that feeling is transferred to the viewer.

My feeling..is that one ought not to paint really for a show just to get in....but that if a body of work touches or resounds similar chords...then why not play those chords? Let 'em sing out!

That being the case...taking into consideration his complex assymetrical balance...use of color, and so on...I would have to agree with Pam on this one. Its not about what I like. Sharing the site of the judge, you are aware of the hope to catch what his eye will like. I'd have to go along with #3 and #7 then as well...

whatever you end up doing, good luck with your venture here!
peace,

Larry

tigre255
05-12-2003, 07:10 PM
Thank you Gia, Debbie and Jim for looking and adding your vote......

Larry thank you so much for your great input, and I will take that into consideration greatly........

M.A.
05-12-2003, 07:47 PM
If I could only pick one to put in a show, I'd suggest #5.

If I could only pick one to hang in my home, I'd pick #7.

I like all of your paintings here and you have them IRL but I think some of my favs that stand out to me are your geisha girls and the "unknown" flower from Rod's RIL you just finished the other day (oh, and the portrait you did of me ;))

Also, you do a bang up job of marbles!

This is obviously a difficult decision.

Good luck Barb, wishing you every success!!!

tigre255
05-12-2003, 08:01 PM
Thanks Mary-Ann.......yeah hard decision......I'm sort of leaning toward No. 7 that has the most votes but we'll see .....:confused:

Rich Williams
05-12-2003, 09:35 PM
Barb my vote is for no #7 as it displays your confidence with the medium the best. # 1 used to be my favorite of your paintings but it has to move over for # 7.
The real winner of yours hangs on my wall.

Rich

ptantono
05-12-2003, 09:44 PM
My favourite is no. 3. Wish you all the best !

tigre255
05-12-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Rich Williams
Barb my vote is for no #7 as it displays your confidence with the medium the best. # 1 used to be my favorite of your paintings but it has to move over for # 7.
The real winner of yours hangs on my wall.

Rich

LOL.....Thanks Rich for you vote.......this is driving me crazy....because I like them all myself.......

tigre255
05-12-2003, 09:47 PM
Thanks Patricia, we must have cross posted.......lol

But thanks for your pick........

Bill J
05-12-2003, 10:12 PM
My pick would be #5. Number 1 is ok but there will be other palms if its a Fl. show. Plus there will be lots of flowers. But #5 should be kind of unique.

bill

Faafil
05-12-2003, 11:40 PM
My first vote is for #5...the way the light plays with the color is awesome! then #3 (I'm kinda partial to the ref photo :D)...

Good luck to you, this is so exciting !

tigre255
05-13-2003, 12:09 AM
Thanks Bill and Faafil.....so far it's a toss up of #5 and #7

Faafil thank you for the ref #3...it was fun to paint and one of my favorites too..........

tigre255
05-13-2003, 11:59 AM
Ok this is Patty (barbara's daughter) I was goiing to log in on my computer, but it came up as my moms sooo...

I like #3 and #5. That is from looking at the above pictures. In real life I would need to see them all. I have #1 and KNOW I like it!! But I love the colours and contrasts in 3 and 5. :cat:

tigre255
05-13-2003, 12:03 PM
OOPS!!!
I meant 3 & 7!!! Not 5.

jaytee
05-13-2003, 09:37 PM
Just to add to the confusion........... my vote went to 3 or 7 with 5 as runner up........... before reading all the comments and looking at the adjudicators website. Nothing has changed my mind......... but you can see them 'in the flesh' we cant . Good Luck :cat:

tigre255
05-13-2003, 10:58 PM
Thanks Jaytee.....lol 3 and 7 seems to be very popular......even with my daughter.....there kind of my choice too.......much appreciated........