PDA

View Full Version : "Delicate" & "Determined"

kare
05-12-2003, 06:56 AM
Two more ink drawings I completed this afternoon.
All comments are welcome!

"Delicate" ink on sketch paper (29.7x21.1cm)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2003/18486-delicate_ink_2003.jpg

"Determined" ink on sketch paper (29.7x21.1cm)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2003/18486-determined_ink_2003.jpg

I took photographs of 2 of my neices over the weekend, printed their faces out and tried working with ink.. this is what happened.. i'm eager to hear your ideas/ thoughts towards it.
ciarrai

harmony
05-12-2003, 07:12 AM
Heya Ciarrai,

Good to see that you're making a good go of this ink experimentation. It definately produces very different work than you usually produce, which is really cool. These are alot more abstract looking. Now I'm gonna take a guess... I'm guessing the one at the top is Brook and the one with red ink is Charlotte. Am I right?

Im jealous of you for having a digital camera too... I want my camera working again hehe Cool new tiny head :)

Keep up the good work Ciarrai :clap:

beatle_john
05-12-2003, 04:18 PM
great, it seems you're experimenting figurative work, a lot of strong and quick lines...
First one gives me the impression of being dirty but happy, with some soil spots on the face, although lines under eyes would give also the impression of not being a healthy child, hope's that's not true :)

Second one is very strong in lines and color, determination captured with the eyes expression, gesture of the mouth like showing self confidence... Determined to do the next mischief :)

Right colors for the right expressions, very good work :)

Regards...

kare
05-12-2003, 04:27 PM
Harmony;
yes, sweet brooke at the top and misheivious charlotte at the bottom :) mind, i took photographs of their happy faces for a base and added my own characters.

Edgar,
lovely of you to post here! thankyou!! "Delicate" (top) isn't anything like my neice, i just used her outline basically and went from there. This girl in the drawing is meant to be dirty, not too happy, but she copes with everyday life. she is not healthy - i'm glad you were able to interpret everything i was trying to achieve in this piece.
The 2nd piece has a character which relates pricesely with the first ones little sister.. VERY cheeky.. mischeivious! (i can't spell that word LOL) she is her own character and no one can ever tell her any differently. I'm very happy that I have gotten the feeling of the two ink drawings out and you have picked up on them.

I want to continue trying many things with ink.. think i just found another enjoyment in the art world lol. :D

ciarrai

beatle_john
05-12-2003, 04:41 PM
So here we are, jumping from forum to forum, LOL :D
Expressing emtions and characters with colors and lines is fun, isn it? But a complete art also, not easy but satisfactory :)

Let's keep growing my friend :)

Regards...

kare
05-12-2003, 04:51 PM
the only delemma i have with ink really is where the shading should go and if i should place a bold line or a simple contour.. OH and the mess i make with it LOL this first piece took around 40 minutes and the second was a little faster because the lines were much bolder and there isn't really any background.

Have i said already that i really love ink? :)
have you tried many ink drawings Edgar? and Harmony- you should try this..

ciarrai

seejay
05-12-2003, 11:09 PM
I like them both, but especially #1.

They have personality for sure.

A question for you:

Do you think the pictures "capture" your nieces????

Cheers

kare
05-12-2003, 11:17 PM
hello seejay.
thankyou for replying :)

i used the outlines of my neices because i really am still very ammateur about drawing faces from my imagination.. but once the outlines had been drawn, i added my own touches.
the first drawing looks alot like my eldest neice, yet she does not resmebe the dirtiness or the roughness you see in this image i have drawn. that is simply my own addition to the character i was after. i mean no harm to my nieces, this is not how i see them of course.. i used their faces as a type of model i guess you can say :)

the second drawing, i think i have captured a bit of 'determination' in the facial expression.. though the neice that i based this drawing on- doesn't quite resemble her very well. still, she is a very determined little girl- she will do what she wants when she wants to- and i think i may have caught some likeness in personality where that is concerned. i am not entirely happy with the second piece.. i am quite new to using ink as a medium, and sometimes my fountain pen nib leaks because i have a heavy hand - that is something i will learn to rectify, nontheless.

really, i thank you for taking a look here!!
ciarrai :)

Jakeally
05-13-2003, 06:05 AM
I like them both ciarrai. Looks like you had fun drawing them and you certainly captured the determined look. Well done.

the only delemma i have with ink really is where the shading should go and if i should place a bold line or a simple contour The more ink work you do the easier it will be to decide on the shading. Experiment and take the things you like on to your next drawing. Most of all enjoy yourself
:D