PDA

View Full Version : Meet "Allister Bear"

rks
05-11-2003, 10:12 PM
This is the whimsical bear I did for a local art show last December which had "winter" as its theme. All comments and criticisms welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2003/18901-RobertaPicOne.gif

Thanks for looking.

Roberta

Alan Cross
05-12-2003, 12:39 AM
Cute......
Alan :)

taghera
05-12-2003, 12:40 AM
Excellent one...:)

rks
05-12-2003, 01:54 AM
Thanks, Alan and Taghera. I should apologize for unintentionally chopping off Allistair's boots. I'm still learning how to use the scanner. He was done on Arches 300 lb. rough, 1/4 sheet, and all WN, but I scanned a laser copy of him as he was framed for the art show.
I'm posting him now because I had him critiqued by one of the senior local artists last week who said, for example:
"Not sure if this is a real bear or whimsy." (He really said that - LOL) "One leg looks broken." "Red stripes are too strong." Drawing on head and boots is well done, but rest is not as well done" (I agree on his last comment.)

Roberta

Brelaina
05-12-2003, 02:02 AM
Wow - I hope that critique didn't take the fun out of it for you.

I agree that critiques help us grow but i find sometimes they also can be over analytical and often " the critiquer ' seems to be looking for faults.

Allister looks like he was fun to do and has a warm , friendly expression !
-exactly what a bear needs !

Bre

Sharon Douglas
05-12-2003, 05:34 AM
As long as you had fun painting him , well that`s all that matters,
painting is about enjoying yourself , so don`t let that " critiquer" put you off.
He is a lovely bear.
Sharon.

Little Old Lady
05-12-2003, 08:23 AM
Fun painting. How the critiquer coudn't tell that it wasn't a real bear makes me wonder about his ability.
JoAnn

Uschi
05-12-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Little Old Lady
Fun painting. How the critiquer coudn't tell that it wasn't a real bear makes me wonder about his ability.
JoAnn

I am with JoAnn!!

Very cute!!!
Uschi

CharM
05-12-2003, 08:56 AM
Roberta, your critiquer needs glasses... As soon as he/she said that he couldn't tell if it was real or whimsy, I would have discounted any further comments... I'm sorry you had such a bad experience... Your whimsical bear is wonderful... His jeans are absolutely great!!!! Right down to the stitching! Keep up the good work!!!

rks
05-12-2003, 03:16 PM
My thanks to all of you for taking the time to look at "Allister Bear".

Bre: Allister was great fun to do. I honestly wasn't upset by the critique as I realize it's all part of the learning curve. When all is said and done, it was just one man's opinion.

Sharon: Thank you for your kind comments.

Jo Ann and Uschi: Funny thing is my husband posed for the jeans and boots. I think that may have confused the critiquer.

Char: You have eagle eyes. Thanks for noticing the stitching. It was so easy to do and just another whimsical detail for me.

Roberta