PDA

View Full Version : Is there anyway to save this painting?

Matt Sammekull
05-11-2003, 03:45 PM
Hi all...

I just ruined a portrait, or at least I think I did. As you see below, the hair on her left side was painted on wet paper... mistake!

Can this be saved somehow? Or maybe it's just as well to bagin all over?

//Matt

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2003/15549-maybe.jpg

coffee_girl3000
05-11-2003, 04:04 PM
I think it's fine! Just gives the hair a softer edge. Keep going til finished and post it, then decide whether to restart.

Are you painting on canvas? The texture of the support looks like it...

Kari
05-11-2003, 04:08 PM
Looks fine to me. Finish it. I nearly stopped a painting that I thought I had ruined, but finished it and it turned out okay. I really don't see whatever you are seeing that you don't like. If it is the fuzziness of the hair on her cheek, it just looks like the hair is laying across her face and looks okay to me.

Uschi
05-11-2003, 04:11 PM
The face is so stunning that I wasn't even looking at the hair, when I did look it seemed fine. Carry on!!!!
Uschi

Matt Sammekull
05-11-2003, 04:19 PM
Okay... to leave it you say. Wow... that never crossed my mind. It's just that my eyes keeps on returning to that spot and putting me down a bit.

It's painted on a heavily structured paper, 200g.

Thanks for helping out.

//Matt

Alan Cross
05-11-2003, 05:09 PM
Why not just run a few more stands through there to push the soft part back it would bring everything into focus.
Alan :)

CharM
05-11-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Alan Cross
Why not just run a few more stands through there to push the soft part back it would bring everything into focus.
Alan :)

I agree with Alan's suggestion... Keep going, this is going to be stunning!

lynn_cyr
05-11-2003, 06:40 PM
Matt, you're the master of portraits!! This is looking terrific! I can't see anything wrong with it at all... keep going!!

Lynn :)

froggee501
05-11-2003, 07:59 PM
echo Lynn... I can't even see the spot you speak of... this is incredible... need someone to gift it to? :D

Little Old Lady
05-11-2003, 09:07 PM
You are way to critical. I think it is wonderful. I would give anything to be able to paint like this.
JoAnn

Christie
05-11-2003, 09:54 PM
No one else is going to see all the little mistakes that you, as the artist, are aware of. :)

I agree with whoever it was (I have a short memory...) that said finish it and then make your choice as to whether or not to keep it. I would add that you should put it aside for a couple of weeks after you are done and see if the problems you are talking about still bug you as much. :)

Silver Eagle
05-11-2003, 10:49 PM
I agree that there is nothing wrong with this painting, it is beautiful. Where the dark bled looks like shadow or soft hair lines. If you think that way, you could work with it to shape it into your work alittle more to your satisfaction. I have had some success with lifting paint by wetting where I want to lift and drawing the paint into a dry brush. Then you have to work the area all over.

lyn lynch
05-12-2003, 01:33 AM
Do not put any more water on that bleed; just do as Alan suggested with some extra strands to give depth. If it still bothers you, deliberately produce another bleed, somemore unobtruse such as on the collarbone--her opposite side, or on her hand.

This is a beautiful work. The girl is equally beautiful. I keep looking at it. The heavily textured paper adds to the overall lovliness of her.

rks
05-12-2003, 02:03 AM
Matt, Please, please don't quit on this one. It's lovely and you should definitely finish it. IMHO, you are overly self-critical. Looking forward to seeing the finished painting.

Roberta

Kate Mc
05-12-2003, 05:00 AM
NO! NO! Don't quit!

I think you should follow Alan's suggestion and then finish it! It's wonderful.

---and don't forget to show us the finished product!

Kate

Sharon Douglas
05-12-2003, 05:11 AM
You have GOT to finish this, then if you don`t like it then you can do it again.
I personally don`t see anything wrong.
Sharon.

Matt Sammekull
05-12-2003, 06:03 AM
- Again I'm reminded of the overwhelming support that is to be found in this forum. You convinced me; I'll go on... and of course I'll keep you updated.

You are all so nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Hi "doodle"... you know I'm doing your portrait don't you? - In oils though...

//Matt

painterbear
05-12-2003, 07:19 AM
I'm glad you decided to go on with this painting. I like the little softening effect of the spot on her cheek. It makes her hair look more real.

This is a lovely painting so far. I look forward to seeing more of it when you finish.

babybrush
05-12-2003, 09:49 AM
agree with what everyone else says, if you hadn't said anything, i wouldn't have noticed. can't wait to see it all done.

Bethany

Matt Sammekull
05-12-2003, 10:58 AM
So, I did some more work just now, and find this one complete. It's amazing how my crappy scanner can ruin my paintings, but you get the idea.

I'm glad I didn't throw it in the dustbin yesterday... there is always another lesson to learn.

//Matt

12"x9" Rembrandt tubes...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2003/15549-study_for_oil.jpg

coffee_girl3000
05-12-2003, 11:03 AM
:clap: :clap: You see! Fantastic portrait, the pose is excellent, like the way you painted the vest, great skin tones. Can you tell I really like this? :D

Astur
05-12-2003, 11:05 AM
WOW!!!!

glad you have hear the good advice, and finish that one!! I think you have a beautifoul watercolor portrait, something really hard to do... I'm sure the model will love it!!!

Thanks for share

CharM
05-12-2003, 11:25 AM
Aren't you glad you finished this??? It's stunning! Your model will be impressed with your work!

lynn_cyr
05-12-2003, 12:18 PM
As imagined, this turned out beautifully, Matt!! And my favorite part is that red shade on her cheek... very well done! :)

I can't wait to see mine now :D :evil:

Lynn (a.k.a. Doodle) :)

Darren
05-12-2003, 01:59 PM
WOW, great portrait--glad you didn't give up on it. Beautiful model, beautiful painting!

thanks

darren

gealflings
05-12-2003, 02:03 PM
I'm SO glad you didn't give up on this!! It was a happy accident for sure - she is absolutely beautiful!! :clap: :D

Matt Sammekull
05-12-2003, 02:25 PM
I must say, the more I look at it now... - the more I like it. And yes, that hair thing that bothered me so much seems to vanish now once complete.
I must say my favorite part is her top... I "just" made a couple of quick strokes with my biggie brush, and voilą, - a piece of clothing it was! It seems so... I dunno... "real"?

Thanks all.

I just finished up a new one... in a new thread.

To all of you, - thank you so much!

Matt