PDA

View Full Version : Homework Essentials of Painting Rocks- Week 2

Johannes Instructor
04-01-2012, 10:05 AM
This photo is in black and white so you do not copy the boring muddy gray color of the rocks. You should uses oranges and red hues but still gray down those colors to an acceptable level. Please do no submit work in which the photo is not cropped to just show the painting. I will not comment on these submissions until next class.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Apr-2012/29065-135220-kennys_drawing.jpg

Amandine
04-01-2012, 12:23 PM
What a challenge !!! (think it's a good idea to offer a B&W photo.) Where was it taken ?
It'll take not a couple of hours but a couple of days to work on this photo. Well, let's go for it, starting this afternoon.

libby2
04-01-2012, 01:31 PM
The downloaded image says "muskoka", where ever that is. :lol:

MCSmythe
04-01-2012, 02:08 PM
What does this mean?
"Please do no submit work in which the photo is not cropped to just show the painting."
Confused.....just submit the painting?? Is that what he is asking for?

libby2
04-01-2012, 02:19 PM
My guess is that he was in a rush when he typed it, which is why it might be missing a comma or two. So what I'm doing is rearranging & cropping the image to my liking, painting & submitting that. Which is what he said he really liked seeing his students do.

Hope this helps.

Amandine
04-01-2012, 02:47 PM
What does this mean?
"Please do no submit work in which the photo is not cropped to just show the painting."
I think what he means is, when submitting a photo of your painting, please crop that photo so that only the painting will show, not your easel and all the stuf that might be around.

pamshowcase
04-01-2012, 03:50 PM
I think he wants us to crop the photo we take of our homework.
Pam

Pinklady219
04-01-2012, 03:52 PM
Yes, I believe Amandine is correct. He has stated the same in the past. He doesn't want to see all your paints and pets in the photo of your rocks!! :cat: :)
(Muskoka is in Canada see: http://www.discovermuskoka.ca/outdoor-adventures/national-a-provincial-parks.html)

libby2
04-01-2012, 04:46 PM
Yep, I think Amandine has it!

MCSmythe
04-01-2012, 05:30 PM
Thanks, newbie here....

Johannes Instructor
04-01-2012, 07:07 PM
What does this mean?
That means crop out everything that is not the painting. I sometimes get submissions with frames or people's hands holding the artwork.

Eagle-eye
04-01-2012, 07:47 PM
What does this mean?
I believe it also means when you take your picture he doesn't want to see your studio too, just the painting you painted. Crop out the room.

lynnepearce
04-02-2012, 05:31 AM
How do we translate a black and white image into colour? Seems impossible!

jezurus
04-02-2012, 05:56 AM
This is a tough one! have to use our "Artistic License" and Imagination!! LOL,
This will be a good test to see if we have been learning any of Johannes great knowledge!

Amandine
04-02-2012, 08:44 AM
You're the one who decides of the colour you're gonna use in your painting. Not easy but, we'll have to go with it. Good luck.

Johannes Instructor
04-02-2012, 08:57 AM
Many pro artists work from black and whire photos when greens are monochromatic or things are dull gray. What you can do is make those rocks more reddish and orange. Check photos from Acadia National Park to give you ideas.

Johannes Instructor
04-02-2012, 10:14 AM
This photo is in black and white so you do not copy the boring muddy gray color of the rocks. You should uses oranges and red hues but still gray down those colors to an acceptable level. Please do no submit work in which the photo is not cropped. The photo is to just show the painting. I will not comment on these submissions until next class. I asked Kenneth to put this in a drawing format because I want you to tap into your own visual memory to create your poetry. Sometimes too much visual information hinders not helps.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2012/29065-135220-muskoka_cropped010.jpg

callady
04-02-2012, 10:51 AM
what a super drawing! What talent!

corita
04-02-2012, 01:47 PM
I missed the first class. Does anybody know if there is a way to see it? It'll be easier to do the homework if I review the first class also.

Thanks

Rosemarie
04-02-2012, 01:55 PM
I missed the first class. Does anybody know if there is a way to see it? It'll be easier to do the homework if I review the first class also.

Thanks
You can't review the first class until it is for sale. it might take a while.

kittierue
04-02-2012, 02:39 PM
You could look at the first week's homework thread, that will give you a good idea, as well as the critique thread....

Thanks

LadyMadonna
04-02-2012, 03:55 PM
I chose an Autumn palette for this photo. Once I got my masses in I let go of the photo and somehow along the way this became more about trees and water than the rocks.
I shall be honest and say it drove me nuts. .. I felt myself falling into over work mode so I stopped.
If there is just one half decent rock shape in there I will be satisfied.
P.S. I put in your trademark 'dancing tree' just for fun and it is a lead in ...

susie g
04-02-2012, 06:00 PM
ok guys - i have a question...i worked on the homework today but i'm not sure whether to post it here or in the student critique thread.. the last time i tried to post my homework, i don't think i did it right...any help would be greatly appreciated!! thanks susie

Graleth
04-02-2012, 06:12 PM
ok guys - i have a question...i worked on the homework today but i'm not sure whether to post it here or in the student critique thread.. the last time i tried to post my homework, i don't think i did it right...any help would be greatly appreciated!! thanks susie

Hi Folks, I've not started yet, but I'll need to know too.

Enjoy,

Ivor

robertsloan2
04-02-2012, 06:16 PM
Post your homework painting here, Susie. Select "Post Reply" or down under the Quick Reply text box choose the "Go Advanced" button.

First, use Gimp (http://www.gimp.org)or Photoshop or your camera software (sometimes camera or printer software has a resize function) to resize your photo or scan of your homework to 800 pixels on the longest side. You can download Gimp free from the link - when I first mentioned it I linked to its website.

In Gimp it's easy to crop and resize a photo. Open the program. On the blank window, select File and choose Open, then scroll down and pick your photo or scan and open it. If the photo has background that's not part of the art, choose Rectangular Selection to draw a rectangle on the photo eliminating all the background. Then click IMAGE menu drop down and choose Crop to Selection. If the longest side is still more than 800 pixels, select "Scale Image" and type in 800 for the larger number in the dialog box - it'll automatically adjust the smaller number to keep the proportions of your photo the same.

Either one will give you more options including one that has an icon of a little mountain. Click that and another window opens up. It has a browse button. Click that and choose your resized photo. I add "post" to the file name and do a Save As if I want to keep a higher resolution version of it. Once that vanishes and the file name appears on the upload dialog box, click Upload and wait. When the picture shows completely, click on the picture. It will appear as code within your post.

Then write anything you want to under the photo and post it as you would any post. I sometimes Copy the code so that I can paste the code into posts in other forums, if a painting I did can be posted in more than one place. That is, if I do this homework in pastels I'm going to want to post it in the Pastel Studio too and uploading only once helps keep the number of images in the WetCanvas scanners down.

There's how to post photos. If the process does not work, look under the posting box for the Attachments function. If that doesn't upload either, WetCanvas is having server trouble and will be going nuts trying to fix it. I try again a couple of times at the time because sometimes it's a very minor glitch and works fine on the second try, then wait for a few hours and try again. If that still doesn't work I contact the admins. They always do eventually fix it.

I have to mention that because these glitches happen often enough to scare people. They're good about fixing them fast, it's just inconvenient when there's a glitch. It's not that something about your photo crashed the system.

If you try to post a photo without resizing it, WetCanvas will resize it - and that may take too long and time out the function. That's why it's better to resize it in your computer. It takes less bandwidth too doing your own resizing.

Hope this helps!

piggiepie
04-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Ok, this was quite the challenge! Waterfalls, rocks, and trees...oh my! I'm just painting in pastels right now which is also a challenge. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2012/27200-IMG_0732.JPG

robertsloan2
04-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Annie, I love the misty, serene atmosphere and mood of your painting. That's gorgeous.

I did my homework in oil pastels and starting from black and white... I started with the sky. Putting that bold dawn sky in determined everything else in the painting. I did envision the rocks as orangy-red but the lighting turned the whole painting very high intensity. I might do another one later this week to show that I could do them in muted colors too. My own tastes ran away with me this time. I can never resist a dawn scene.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2012/70184-4-2-2012-Dawn-Waterfall-Stage-3-OP.jpg
Dawn Waterfall
8" x 10"
Oil pastel on dark gray PastelMat
Photo by Johannes Vloothuis reference for week 2 homework for "Essentials of Painting Rocks."

piggiepie
04-02-2012, 10:01 PM
Wow, thanks so much Robert! This experience has been very intimidating for a shy artist but getting to know you all through this class has made me very comfortable.

I love your paintings. This one is so free and painterly! I feel like my paintings still need that freedom. Or my brain...lol

carol1949
04-02-2012, 11:02 PM
Wow, Robert, that is great!!!

ArtbyPeggy
04-03-2012, 12:11 AM
I really like that Robert! Great use of colors!!!
Annie I love your atmosphere! That deep water looks inviting enough to dive into :)

Pinklady219
04-03-2012, 01:42 AM
This one may be premature. I plan on doing several to GET IT! These are watercolor and a little pastel. I'm trying to loosen up and not be so detailed. Maybe I'm getting closer!!! :clap: Thank you Johannes!!!

raxu
04-03-2012, 07:31 AM
My first attempt in watercolor. Did not look at the ref photo after I sketched it, so it took the life of its own :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2012/171274-m_IMG_3661m.jpg

tried to use melodic lines all the way, now I noticed the two waterfall parts are somewhat cloned :o
P.S.: we do have also orange red granite rocks in Finland :angel:

raxu
04-03-2012, 08:08 AM
Amaizing! Took a look to my sketch, it was all different. I did quickly color it and post it as alternative 2

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2012/171274-m_IMG_3664m.jpg

libby2
04-03-2012, 09:06 AM
These are all wonderful paintings. Expressive, beautiful light, rocks, water. Well done Donna, Annie and Robert!

tennisqueen
04-03-2012, 12:36 PM
What happened to Kenneth's drawing?? I don't see it anymore?

Lowe
04-03-2012, 12:47 PM
I don't have my watercolours with me. This is a quick 10 minute sketch of my impression of the picture. I turned it around because something did not seem right for me with the trees on the left, although I can't say what.

I am still struggling with trying to pin point where the light should be. No point in rushing in to paint if I don't know what I am painting.

:) Lynda

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2012/184661-001.JPG

Spenser
04-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Here is my week 2 homework that I did today. 14x18 water miscible oil on canvas.
hmm.. why is it soon as we post we see all the sins committed against the 24 commandments? ............

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2012/8837-homeworkwk2fin.jpg

willinois
04-03-2012, 02:33 PM
did mine as a plein air last night-will post as soon as I figure out how to get it from my ipad to this as a post!

paintncook
04-03-2012, 03:39 PM
My watercolor effort. Sure a lot harder than I had envisioned and still can't get it right. :o http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2012/1027192-IMG_1691.JPG

piggiepie
04-03-2012, 04:19 PM
Wow! I think your efforts are awesome! Watercolor is for masters. Very masterful to me!

piggiepie
04-03-2012, 05:16 PM
Wow Spenser! I love the rocks under the water!

robertsloan2
04-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Second go at the homework in watercolors, using a size 12 round brush:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2012/70184-4-3-2012-Waterfall-watercolor.jpg
Waterfall
8" x 10"
Daniel Smith watercolor on watercolor paper
Photo reference by Johannes Vloothuis, week 2 homework for "Rocks" class.

Mary54
04-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Rock Homework

jeanetteg
04-03-2012, 09:10 PM
this was very challanging. It is watercolor with a little colored pencil. the darks are alittle darker than the accual painting.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2012/922012-img044_edited.jpg

R Leon
04-03-2012, 10:54 PM
I did this with pastels - first mistake is that I STARTED :( with very soft Schmincke's on Colorfix paper (don't know why - I know better) which filled the tooth quickly but used the Pan Pastels as followup and with blending tool. Been working on this three days and still not really happy. Every time I go to photograph I see more errors. Obviously I don't have to worry about slavishly following a photo. I get started with one then forget all the features I really want to bring in from the photo, like the cascading rocks in the waterfall. But I am going to post it anyway to get my homework in.:crossfingers: Then I may do another in another medium or am really thinking of just rinsing this one off, drying the paper off and trying again. I wonder if Colorfix can handle that?

robertsloan2
04-04-2012, 02:52 AM
RLeon, Colourfix can handle it, but I don't think this one's unsalvageable. I'd say keep it for its hits and try again on a fresh piece of Colourfix to improve on it. You got a beautiful texture on the foam and rushing water, it's believably white water. The rocks in the white water are fantastic. The rocks around it are excellent too - and that's what this homework was all about, getting the rocks done well. Good trees too.

Tweaks that could be done without brushing and washing the whole thing off - the top where the water's come from, you did a Y shape with it coming in from both sides. If you eliminate the right side (as we look at it) and keep the left side, then darken the left side to sky-reflection blue instead of white-water pale, that would make this painting improve a lot - and make all its "hits" that much more obvious. That's the major error that I see in it, a geometric shape formed by where the water comes from and that flat top water being already foamy instead of waiting till it falls. Just chop off that slanting bit of white on the right side (as we look at it) with the rock color and turn that into part of the light plane on that big rock. Then turquoise on the horizontal bit to the left that runs off the page and voila, your painting will look tons better and more designed.

You're not the only one doing more than one version of this homework. Last week's was easy, this week he handed us the big challenge!

Pinklady, glad I'm not the only one trying again and again in different mediums! My next one's going to be Pan Pastels and I'm betting that one will come out better than my previous two. Or at least more Pans looking! Definitely easy to get blocky strokes with the wedge sponge and the Pan Pastels.

AshlandCreekArt
04-04-2012, 03:48 AM
Wow, reviewing what everyone is doing is so interesting and helpful. Great work everyone!

hai
04-04-2012, 05:54 AM
my second trie. what a difficult one and still, I'm not satisfied.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2012/421961-rocks_week2_huisw.jpg

painterted
04-04-2012, 12:08 PM
Wow this was tuff, I did't think that rocks other than potatoes were so hard to paint. Lots of practice and 3 attempts. Thanks Jo for pushing us.

ted

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2012/909312-Scan20001.jpg

sue.w
04-04-2012, 12:59 PM
Hey! I did my homework this week - first ever!

I thought I was done with this painting yesterday; was all set to upload the image and saw triangles & clones and thought the water needed more movement.
I'd fix one area and another would then need adjusting.

Oh my, this was definitely a challenge!

I can't take it any farther without your input. The water under the right side cliff edge bothers me but I don't know what to do to fix it.

Thanks so much,

Oil / 9 x 12.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2012/195191-my_painting-submission-week2.JPG

callady
04-04-2012, 01:15 PM
I have to agree.....a really hard subject this week. I worked three....count them 3! The last is on sanded paper which I laid down first in an underpainting with WC, then worked in pan pastels and stick pastels. Think I'm going to do an underpainting on all of my pastels, that way I don't overwork.

Since the sanded paper buckled after being wet, I used a cool iron on the backside for about a minute and it straightened right out.

willinois
04-04-2012, 02:15 PM
This is the initial-did it as a plein air-then next day I decided a bit to brown and red and added more gray-that is in the next posting. look for to Critiques

willinois
04-04-2012, 02:16 PM
Attempted to gray the rocks a bit more, and add more green to the water and rocks.
thanks

Spenser
04-04-2012, 02:26 PM
I am seeing so many really wonderful effects in each painting that is being posted!

I am still in the process of watching pre-recorded classes in Johannes landscapes series (which I highly recommend, they are THE best teaching!), and I am seeing so many areas in my painting where I messed up, and have since made corrections in my homework painting. Do we post again if we've fixed areas? I don't want to break any rules in posting.

kittierue
04-04-2012, 03:36 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2012/222668-wk_2_homework_1.jpg

libby2
04-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Do we post again if we've fixed areas? I don't want to break any rules in posting.

Yes, do post your finished painting. :thumbsup:

sue.w
04-04-2012, 04:42 PM
I was hoping I could pull my first submission - Once I clued in to the flying saucer shaped cliff on the right hand side I couldn't leave it alone -

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2012/195191-week2-rocks-mypainting-morechanges.JPG

Here is the final version - I think it is an improvement over the previous rendition - now I'll wait for instruction before I mess with it even more- enough already!.

piggiepie
04-04-2012, 05:05 PM
These are all amazing!

bearcreekartist
04-04-2012, 05:06 PM
Jo, this was very challenging. After overworking for several hours,i picked up my palette knife. I see a hill of potatoes, kind of lost my mission to paint interesting rocks. I plan to "Do over" as others did. Thank you for this great class,even if it was a little painful:( water miscable oils 6 by 8 on masonite.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2012/1021322-017.jpg

bearcreekartist
04-04-2012, 05:14 PM
I chose an Autumn palette for this photo. Once I got my masses in I let go of the photo and somehow along the way this became more about trees and water than the rocks.
I shall be honest and say it drove me nuts. .. I felt myself falling into over work mode so I stopped.
If there is just one half decent rock shape in there I will be satisfied.
P.S. I put in your trademark 'dancing tree' just for fun and it is a lead in ...

Lady Madonna, I like your colorful grays,very nice.

tvandeb
04-04-2012, 05:16 PM
I don't usually do oils or acrylics in realism, but decided to do try it. I did the rocks in masses and eliminated all the extras. Done with chroma acrylics on canvas paper. Great class Thank you! I may give this a go with pastels also.. :)http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2012/71359-wk2-rocks_and_water.on_canvas_paper-acrylic.JPG

alidub
04-04-2012, 07:33 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2012/978761-rock_study_for_Vloothuis_week_2_800_wide.jpg Watercolor on paper. I am a new artist and found this very difficult,especially using watercolor. I was trying not to wear a hole in the paper fixing mistakes, so I decided to stop! Thanks,Jo, I am learning a lot from your class - challenging, but fun! Also, thank you RobertSloan2 for your tutorial, as this is my first post of artwork and you made it easy.
Alison

libby2
04-04-2012, 08:08 PM
These are so beautiful, you guys are doing rocks!

Some things are happening here and I'm not sure if I'll be able to do my painting before Sat's class. I'm really bummed about it, but things are what they are. I'll try to get the painting done and post when it is.

Linda Henning
04-04-2012, 09:29 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2012/977967-Rocks-001.jpg
I took a small section of the painting for a reference but added other elements discarding the original to work on only what the painting was turning into, a life of it's own , had to take it with an iPhone, the Nikon was dead, both batteries! ~ Linda Henning

willinois
04-04-2012, 11:21 PM
Love seeing the different interpretations!! More pronounced than if color photo.

valh
04-04-2012, 11:24 PM
Hi J, here is my week 2 homework. As always, thanks for the great classes.
Cheers
Val

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2012/40174-aValWeek2rocks.JPG

paintncook
04-05-2012, 12:22 AM
Wow, Linda Henning, powerful painting. Love your interpretation!

xli
04-05-2012, 01:12 AM
Here is my painting rock lesson 2 homework. Thank you very much Johannes.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2012/979242-IMG_5555.JPG

nicker312
04-05-2012, 02:09 AM
Wow this was tuff, I did't think that rocks other than potatoes were so hard to paint. Lots of practice and 3 attempts. Thanks Jo for pushing us.

ted

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2012/909312-Scan20001.jpgWow Ted!! :thumbsup:

kadon
04-05-2012, 03:00 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2012/977967-Rocks-001.jpg
I took a small section of the painting for a reference but added other elements discarding the original to work on only what the painting was turning into, a life of it's own , had to take it with an iPhone, the Nikon was dead, both batteries! ~ Linda Henning

I love this.

kadon
04-05-2012, 03:07 AM
You could look at the first week's homework thread, that will give you a good idea, as well as the critique thread....

That's what I'm doing...trying to learn from the homework sites.

robertsloan2
04-05-2012, 09:18 AM
Linda, yours is so gorgeous. I love the drama of it and your unusual crop.

Ted, you've done a masterpiece with watercolor, that's just incredible.

I love seeing all the variations on the same reference. Everyone's brought something different to it. I'd love to see a gallery of everyone's versions - especially others who are doing series trying again and again!

Here's my third go!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2012/70184-4-5-2012-Waterfall-Pan_Pastels.jpg
Waterfall III
5" x 7"
Pan Pastels on Buttercup PastelMat
Photo reference by Johannes Vloothuis for Week 2 homework in Essentials of Painting Rocks. Third go at the homework!

I think I like this one best.

NC-artist
04-05-2012, 09:39 AM
http://i44.tinypic.com/14iz7e1.jpg

So many wonderful pieces here that I don't even want to post mine but there it goes anyway, sweaty hands and all.

I reckon it can only get better from here, hopefully.

paintncook
04-05-2012, 10:33 AM
So many gorgeous paintings, so many interesting interpretations! I want to do another, but babysitting a grandchild has left me with no time - frustrating!:(

Tonalist
04-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Linda.. a real great painting (#64).. very expressive!
woody

Spenser
04-05-2012, 11:06 AM
Here is my updated version after some corrections. My intention was to have the sunlight coming in from the upper right behind the trees and hitting the rocks on the upper left. Don't know if I have everything else in shadow/cooler tones enough to make that effective. I left out the tree that everyone else so successfully put in their paintings, I was afraid I'd mess up. (Haven't bought the trees course yet so I don't trust myself).

I also had way too many rocks in my first version.. figured that out when I looked at the painting upside down! So I merged some together.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2012/8837-rocksfin2b.jpg

beart
04-05-2012, 02:53 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2012/88528-IMG_1308_edited-1.jpghomework_2
yeah, I know I could have done better but been working on the house. Company coming soon.

Susi B
04-05-2012, 03:41 PM
Hi Jo,

I confess - I skipped Saturday's class to join a plein air group. What did we paint???? Rocks at a waterfall...LOL. Below is my homework and below that, Saturday's painting.

Guess this means I'll buy the series since I was one of the ones begging for this course.
Susi B
www.SusiHavensBezaire.com (http://www.SusiHavensBezaire.com)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2012/983284-IMG_0451.JPG

Saturday's painting:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2012/983284-IMG_0449.JPG

willinois
04-05-2012, 04:38 PM
so many interesting and good interpretations-and sure the photos are not relfective of the colors either as they tend to get muted with the photos.

CatherineOnTheLake
04-05-2012, 04:42 PM
Except for a bit of Viridian in the water, I tried mine without any greens - just to see what would happen. (Also no mixing up of greens allowed either...) Maybe too dull? I think it's early Spring in my pic. Also too much spattering goin' on here.

I agree this was challenging, BUT I LOVE DOING ROCKS. Great course! :thumbsup:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2012/983267-JV_Rocks_Homework_Week_2_006_cr_enh.JPG

willinois
04-05-2012, 04:47 PM
also interesting that many of us, including myself, did not go with a strong sunlight source on the rocks,rather more muted and more indirect light source. Thing it might have been due to where the light was on the photo, at least for me

firesignart
04-05-2012, 04:49 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2012/97017-waterandrocks800.jpg
Hello Jo, I have been away some of the classes but finally got the homework happening...a great way to try out the new Pan Pastels. I still needed to add some regular pastels for highlights.
Thank you!

NeldaJansen
04-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Homework for Week 2 Rocks.

Rocks are soooo hard for me, along with anyone else who has mentioned they have a difficult time with them. Potato and bread dough shapes, where do they come from? Aarrrg.

I did one painting, didn't like it, did a second one, don't like this one either. SUCH a neat reference photo, and I mangled it twice! It's definitely a (humbling) learning experience!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2012/84957-Spring_Waterfall.jpg

And the second attempt:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2012/84957-Winter_Waterfall.jpg

Looking forward to our Saturday class.:wave:
Nel

pamshowcase
04-05-2012, 05:57 PM
I love seeing how everyone does this challenge. Here are mine, I did one in acrylics and one in watercolor with pastel accents.
Pamhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2012/174457-P1050199_800x600.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2012/174457-P1050197_800x600.jpg

lovecriters
04-05-2012, 06:55 PM
homework for week 2
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2012/1022992-homework_2_1.jpg

HazelP
04-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Here is my effort for Rocks week 2.

Panpastels 12 x 9 I am really enjoying working with the panpastels. Thanks Jo for introducing them to us.

Working under difficulties this week as I have had 6 granddaughters staying for the week. 3 go home today the other 3 cousins tomorrow.
I was going to do a bit more fine tuning here but this will have to do!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2012/915542-Rocks-homework-week-2.jpg

Jessica M
04-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Here is my homework. Something doesn't seem right with it. Please critique without mercy.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2012/1011452-IMG_6874.JPG

Lynn Nieuwstraten
04-05-2012, 08:13 PM
How do I post my picture??

Graleth
04-05-2012, 08:15 PM
Hi gang,
I have finally done my homework picture, but I keep getting upload erro when trying to submit it here, but picture resolution is 600x400 at 72 dpi, a .jpg file type at 72k, so should be well within limits. Any ideas where I am going wrong ?

Ivor

callady
04-05-2012, 08:34 PM
check Robert's post on page 2. Perhaps that will answer some questions. Hope you figure it out.

jeanetteg
04-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Here is my second try at this weeks home work this time with oils that clean up with water. It is a 5 x7 on clayboard and was alot more fun than the watercolor oneas I used a palette knife.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2012/922012-119.JPG

piggiepie
04-05-2012, 09:18 PM
Homework for Week 2 Rocks.

Rocks are soooo hard for me, along with anyone else who has mentioned they have a difficult time with them. Potato and bread dough shapes, where do they come from? Aarrrg.

I did one painting, didn't like it, did a second one, don't like this one either. SUCH a neat reference photo, and I mangled it twice! It's definitely a (humbling) learning experience!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2012/84957-Spring_Waterfall.jpg

And the second attempt:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2012/84957-Winter_Waterfall.jpg

Looking forward to our Saturday class.:wave:
Nel
These are just beautiful!

Artsyme
04-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Here's my homework submission- (Oils, 9X12)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2012/95504-rocks_homework_002-2.jpg

Sgourlayart
04-05-2012, 09:52 PM
Homework for Rocks week 2. 8 by 12 inches, oil on canvas panel, Stu.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2012/175408-Rocks2.JPG

TexasArt
04-05-2012, 09:57 PM
Heavy Rain Upstream 16x20 oil
Rocks Week 2
Sorry, when I got the photo here I could see a couple of big problems. Will fix and re-upload.

Susi B
04-05-2012, 10:02 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2012/97017-waterandrocks800.jpg
Hello Jo, I have been away some of the classes but finally got the homework happening...a great way to try out the new Pan Pastels. I still needed to add some regular pastels for highlights.
Thank you!

Great treatment of the rocks! Susi B :clap:

horsthh
04-05-2012, 11:18 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2012/95516-homework_rocks_005_750_x_591.jpg Homework, rocks, 11 by 14 oil

carol_lee
04-06-2012, 12:21 AM
Hi gang,
I have finally done my homework picture, but I keep getting upload erro when trying to submit it here, but picture resolution is 600x400 at 72 dpi, a .jpg file type at 72k, so should be well within limits. Any ideas where I am going wrong ?

Ivor

This article may help you> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/44487/496/ Just remember you have to be in advanced not quick reply..

NANCY ANN
04-06-2012, 01:42 AM
Since I am new, this is my first homework assignment, that is, if I can upload it. It is oil on canvas board, 11x14".
Nancy

JoyBlueEyes
04-06-2012, 07:38 AM
Spencer,
I love your rocks and your approach to tells us about the light. The shadows on the right and the rock underwater are great. How do you get those underwater rocks to work so well?
Joy

crazywoman53
04-06-2012, 07:58 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2012/137465-rock-homework.jpg

I've had a super busy week with little time to paint so I stayed up late last night and tried to get to this to a point I could at least post it. It still needs some tweaking in the background and water but the rocks are pretty much done except that too dark one in the foreground. Christine

susie g
04-06-2012, 08:51 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2012/61443-rock_homework.jpg

Amandine
04-06-2012, 08:58 AM
Won't post any homework at this time. Still struggling with «how to draw rocky rocks» :( Worked hours on drawing rocks in a field and then rocks along a waterfall :( Start to get better but need to work encore et encore.

Vida Evenson
04-06-2012, 10:50 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2012/979063-26_rock_homework.jpg

Here's my homework for this week! I'm seeing some wonderful submissions:clap: :clap: See you tomorrow!

paintncook
04-06-2012, 10:56 AM
Won't post any homework at this time. Still struggling with «how to draw rocky rocks» :( Worked hours on drawing rocks in a field and then rocks along a waterfall :( Start to get better but need to work encore et encore.
I know the feeling, Amandine, I struggle like anything with rocks. They too often look like russet potatoes or worse, marshmallows, lol. I wouldn't be embarrassed to post your work as Johanne is so good at showing us the error of our ways. I am so bad I can't even COPY how other people do it :envy:, so I'm hoping Johanne can help me, as I sure need it!!!

carol_lee
04-06-2012, 11:21 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2012/979063-26_rock_homework.jpg

Here's my homework for this week! I'm seeing some wonderful submissions:clap: :clap: See you tomorrow!
WOW!!! I can hear the water and rocks are great!!! Lots of great entries.... my rocks turned into mud...

upthebloodytree
04-06-2012, 11:57 AM
In West Wales UK all our rocks are mossy because our weather is wet and warm.
Anyway here's a quick oil painting on canvas covered board.
Best Regards,
Ray.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2012/226446-fall-3.jpg

Lowe
04-06-2012, 12:02 PM
My homework. Rather over worked and not happy with result. It is still wet and looks rather out of focus. :o

I found this v difficult to do. My First watercolour of water and rocks.

Lynda

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2012/184661-006.JPG

After seeing the my watercolour here, I decided that a crop produces a slightly more pleasing version - below

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2012/184661-008.JPG

Linda Henning
04-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the comments on #64, my astigmatism sometimes is a benefit not being able to see but large shapes up close until I step back. I was about hour 1/2 - 2 hours into painting when I stopped here. I see at least one odd anomaly in the water , kind of a waterspout looking thing but it's in the digital not the original. If some of you suffer over your reproductions remember that digital has less information, defaulting to the next set of pixles, colors can be hotter , more saturated and midtone rangers are narrower. For a life long offset print professional digital is still a less worthy medium. Plus I took that photo with my iPhone so even worse resolution.

reedcooley8
04-06-2012, 12:53 PM

Rookie homework attempt in oil
reedcooley8

skyline
04-06-2012, 01:13 PM
these are all looking grate !

CaKatt
04-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Still working on this one. Not sure when these need to be in for class tomorrow so posting now and will hopefully repost later today as I get it more completed. Spent an entire day producing about 8 different sketches before I felt comfortable enough to start painting. This is just roughed in with most of the work on the rocks. Neck and shoulders are going into spasms so not sure how much more I can get done but will post when finished.

I am seeing some wonderful work here and looking forward to class tomorrow. Thank you so much Johannes for your great teaching.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2012/197736-Hmwk2Paint.jpg
9x12 oil on panel

skyline
04-06-2012, 01:46 PM
i cant seem to upload my img to attach file at this rate im going to miss sat dedline im forfilling the req and still it fail.:(

skyline
04-06-2012, 01:50 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2012/1047312-HW-rocks-02.jpgi had to post ttwice just so my img could be submitted arg attachments seems to have a problem with my files tho

Vida Evenson
04-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Carol thank you so much! I had the privilege of being in Jo's workshop recently and I feel like I jumped ahead a few years. I can't believe how much my painting has changed since I started with the trees class.... and I work hard at it so your words are like honey in my tea..... much appreciated...

AshlandCreekArt
04-06-2012, 02:56 PM
#94 Stu, I really like what you've done. I'm wondering if Johannes will comment about the coloring of the rocks. Fine detail. Well done!

Graleth
04-06-2012, 03:01 PM
Hi folks,
Thanks to Carol Lee for assistance in posting my pics.

I did this one first, as a preview to doing a larger Acrylic, which did not get done.

Then I thought the viewpoint should be lower down, so I did this one.

But the scene was too pale and I overdid it trying to get my rocks right and improve the contrast. still not happy with the result.

All in the learning process.

Ivor

colormefancy
04-06-2012, 03:50 PM
I first edited out the "visual noise" in the photo, "saran-wrapped" the rocks (Dr. Jo phrase) and began work on the composition. Worked on reflective angles of the rocks and values.....before I started to paint. Moved from "mud-colored" rocks to rocks with lighter, unmudded colors. Referenced the Acadia National Park photos for colors to use on rocks, as per your suggestion. Hope this is an improvement. Olmahttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2012/994502-DSCN1825__edited.jpg

denitoo
04-06-2012, 03:51 PM
Well, evidently I can't post an image as I've not posted twice. So this is my second one.

denitoo
04-06-2012, 03:54 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2012/1023982-rocks_pic_1.JPG

denitoo
04-06-2012, 03:56 PM
Well, the above (hopefully) is my first submission (but my third try). <gulp> I wasn't able to type under the pic for some reason. I used PanPastel. I know I didn't do reds or oranges, my picture kept screaming "NO!!!" I did real well at potatoes and even a hotdog bun on the first two. I could have kept going on this one as there are things I'm not happy with - but needed to get it posted.

Lynn Nieuwstraten
04-06-2012, 04:31 PM
Homework rocks for Lynn Cragg

paintnplay
04-06-2012, 04:48 PM
Trying to upload picture...not being able to so far... hope this will do it!! Is the deadline over??

paintnplay
04-06-2012, 05:06 PM
Trying again ... I've tried making the image smaller, tried gif, bmp and jpeg, and it continues to fail....does anyone know why?? Thanks!! :crying:

Mustbenuts
04-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Here's mine for the week. The more I tried to make it better, the worse it got. Very discouraging. Is it normal to go through spells where your art seems to get worse?

Acrylic 9 X 12

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2012/107653-Rocks3.jpg

CaKatt
04-06-2012, 06:00 PM
Got more done, definitely not complete and I know I broke some rules, just not sure which ones, maybe something about the rocks being all the same colors? Probably won't do anymore on this one since I don't like the composition. My eye just slides right down and out of the painting. Somehow it wasn't like that in my sketches and I need to figure out what happened.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2012/197736-Hmwk2Paint.jpg

brandywyne
04-06-2012, 06:03 PM
In acrylic

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2012/53234-jowaterfall.jpg

*Deirdre*
04-06-2012, 07:27 PM
Wonderful entries guys! I feel guilty as I only had time to do a quick study this week.
Pastel
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2012/33616-homeworkwk2waterfall-dp.gif
I can see so much wrong with it now I've posted it...:( Should have made the rocks/sacks recede more for starters!

callady
04-06-2012, 07:32 PM
I've reworked one I tossed aside......I seem to be still having troubles with my rocks and I'm feeling so frustrated!

Tresgatos
04-06-2012, 07:37 PM
Winsor & Newton Water Soluble Oils on 10 x 12 stretched canvas.

Barbara

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2012/113757-EMAIL_-_ROCKS_HOMEWORK_4-6-12_DSC_1070.jpg

toothdoc
04-06-2012, 07:43 PM
What is the deadline for posting week 2 homework?

libby2
04-06-2012, 08:13 PM
Wow, I managed to get my painting done! Didn't think there would be time, but today opened up and I painted! :clap: It was fun, need to get a handle on working the colors and escaping the lumpy water. Must say it's an improvement over this little number (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15227382&postcount=107), my last painting w/rocks in it, so anyone who's shy about posting....don't be, nothing could beat that one. :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2012/977256-12.jpg

paintnplay
04-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Homework for rocks week 2... Thank you!!

toothdoc
04-06-2012, 08:24 PM
Lynn Cragg, your painting reminds me of the summer storms that run through the washes in Arizona. Very nice!

TexasArt
04-06-2012, 08:47 PM
It looks better on canvas than photo.. and then I see all the others and I want to start all over. Maybe the class tomorrow will help.

Holly B.
04-06-2012, 08:53 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2012/217673-003_640x480.jpg

pacificNW
04-06-2012, 09:00 PM
Wow, toughest painting I ever did! I owe it all to Johannes and his extraordinary teaching. Thank you Jo, you are my rock! :heart:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2012/49552-Waterfall_sm.jpg

Fiestyone
04-06-2012, 09:19 PM
Homework Week 2

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2012/952791-HW_week_JM_for_submission.jpg

Janet

TexasArt
04-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Pacificnw - I like the closer view of your falls/rocks. I think part of my problem was the panarama. I had depth, but just toooooo much of everything. I am new to oil, have only done 7 or 8 total but, believe it or not, I am getting better. It is so different than watercolor.

Anyway, good work. I like it so much I would like to wade in and cool off. (whisper, there is an anomaly in the rocks on the left.)

mlgk
04-06-2012, 09:50 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2012/161785-_wc-waterfall-jpg Photo didn't turn out very good. Hope you can see it ok.

pacificNW
04-06-2012, 10:16 PM
Pacificnw - I like the closer view of your falls/rocks. I think part of my problem was the panarama. I had depth, but just toooooo much of everything. I am new to oil, have only done 7 or 8 total but, believe it or not, I am getting better. It is so different than watercolor.

Anyway, good work. I like it so much I would like to wade in and cool off. (whisper, there is an anomaly in the rocks on the left.)

TexasArt, thank you! (OK, I give, what's the anomoly, please? Last time I painted rocks I found a sphinx face, lol)

Your painting is well done for having only a few under your belt, you're kicking butt. Much better than my first paintings. Oils are like taming wild horses I think. I couldn't even paint a tree before I started taking Johannes' courses. Stick with Jo and he'll get you there in leaps and bounds. :)

paintncook
04-06-2012, 10:53 PM
TexasArt, thank you! (OK, I give, what's the anomoly, please? Last time I painted rocks I found a sphinx face, lol)

Your painting is well done for having only a few under your belt, you're kicking butt. Much better than my first paintings. Oils are like taming wild horses I think. I couldn't even paint a tree before I started taking Johannes' courses. Stick with Jo and he'll get you there in leaps and bounds. :)

I didn't notice it until TexasArt pointed it out. I see a foot, missing a digit. I've done things like that many times and usually you don't see it until viewing it from a distance - oops!:eek:

suzlebeau
04-07-2012, 12:17 AM
Wow! You guys are all so talented. I'm sorry that I didn't get to do the homework this week, as I have been working on some pieces that are due on Monday. I especially like Ted's, CaKatt's, and Nelda Jansen's first one. I don't know why - they just caught my eye. I'm sure if I did this assignment, it would come out like my "monkey bread" rocks on the waterfall homework. lol -looking forward to the class tomorrow. Suz-

ArtbyPeggy
04-07-2012, 12:46 AM
:eek: This is my third landscape ever :eek:
I think I need a lot more practice :lol:
5x7
Faber Castell PITT Pastel Pencils
Thanks,
Peggy
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2012/977655-Homework2blog.jpg

insley
04-07-2012, 02:03 AM
Oil on 9x12 board, rock study.

sapphirelynn
04-07-2012, 02:11 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Apr-2012/122205-1-P1020496-001.JPG

Marvell
04-07-2012, 02:43 AM
Oh, my gosh, this was the toughest homework assignment ever for me! I'm new to landscapes as it is so to do one with only a b & w photo reference was a real challenge. I'm not used to drawing/painting things I can't see either. I over worked it as usual too. Oh, well, it's late and I'm sure this won't be in time for tomorrow but here it is anyway...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Apr-2012/978164-homework_lesson_2_usex800.jpg

Vida Evenson
04-07-2012, 03:13 AM
pacificNW.... I love your water! Rocks well defined too.... bravo bravo!!! See you later today in class ((((hugs))))

Eagle-eye
04-07-2012, 03:44 AM
724752Work in progress. Don't think rocks are my thing. But I will keep trying.
Working from photo's also really throws me. I usually go with out of my head.

tuscanni
04-07-2012, 04:27 AM
Johannes...I stayed up all night getting my homework done. I hope that its not too late to get this included in saturdays class. Sorry it wasnt completed sooner, but I did want to participate. I know it needs work, but right now I am tired of looking at it LOL
As per your instruction, no fingers or toes are in the photo LOL
ANN

soft and hard pastels on pastelbord 11 x 14
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Apr-2012/187535-rock_class_homework_1.jpg

insley
04-07-2012, 05:57 AM
11x14" oil on canvas board. by Nancy Sands.

painteriam
04-07-2012, 08:04 AM
Watercolor 15"x 22" This was tough. I created some awkward shapes and dark values that I regret, but I submit it as my best shot at the moment. Watercolor is not very forgiving.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Apr-2012/139791-Waterfall.jpg

JoyBlueEyes
04-07-2012, 10:00 AM
724802My first submission to homework (8x10 canvas board. Oil). I found this one to be difficult. This is my second attempt. I blocked in the first one and it just didn't work well. I hope to learn more tomorrow.

Joy

Johnj1
04-07-2012, 10:36 AM
Hard time with this painting, haven't painted in awhile. Some of my pastels hardened and can't get the pigment to come off. lol.. guess it's time to buy new paint.. I m not able to upload my photo

toothdoc
04-07-2012, 10:43 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Apr-2012/81859-2012-04-06_13.37.45.jpg

sherrysherman
04-07-2012, 10:56 AM
Hard time with this painting, haven't painted in awhile. Some of my pastels hardened and can't get the pigment to come off. lol.. guess it's time to buy new paint.. I m not able to upload my photo

Hi John, two comments:

1. In order to upload an image you must have posted at least TWO messages without images. This is your first. Post another and then you'll be set after that. (It's probably too late to get them into today's class critique.)

2. Your PASTELS hardened? I didn't use mine for about 8 years and they were just like I'd used them yesterday. (Now I will say I was not just as able, but that's another story.) What kind are they?

sherry

Johnj1
04-07-2012, 11:33 AM
still trying to post my painting,

Johnj1
04-07-2012, 11:37 AM
Hi John, two comments:

1. In order to upload an image you must have posted at least TWO messages without images. This is your first. Post another and then you'll be set after that. (It's probably too late to get them into today's class critique.)

2. Your PASTELS hardened? I didn't use mine for about 8 years and they were just like I'd used them yesterday. (Now I will say I was not just as able, but that's another story.) What kind are they?

sherry
Thanks Sherry, finally got it to upload.. Not sure what kind of pastels they are had them for years. The onlycolor i am having a problem with is my white stick. I used my other one fine, then i went to grab a new white. Can't get the color from it. Even rubbed it on a paper towel, hard as a rock

pat-trew
04-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Still a WIP http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Apr-2012/105243-DSCN1045.JPG

sylvia
04-07-2012, 01:23 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Apr-2012/265-012.JPG never found the homewor until today! this is another attempt at rocks

AshlandCreekArt
04-07-2012, 04:24 PM
This was an excellent course. Learned so much. Thanks to everyone who posted paintings, too. Fun to see all the creativity.

Marvell
04-07-2012, 04:26 PM
Tried to make a few little adjustments but think I'd better stop now before I wear it out, lol. Keep in mind that I live in red rock country...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Apr-2012/978164-IMG_8400BX800.jpg

Marvell
04-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Tried adding a few touches to balance it out a little better. Last post, I promise, :o)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Apr-2012/978164-rocks_lesson_2_2012x800.jpg

CatherineOnTheLake
04-11-2012, 06:49 PM
Last week in the webinar you said to resubmit this with more contrast. So here it is. This is the one I tried to do without greens. Also I took out tree forms on the right. Is it better? Is it done? Thank you!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Apr-2012/983267-Rocks_Homework_Week_2_Revised_005_cr_enh.JPG

piggiepie
04-12-2012, 07:49 PM
That's amazing Catherine! I just love it!

robertsloan2
04-14-2012, 02:32 PM
Last week in the webinar you said to resubmit this with more contrast. So here it is. This is the one I tried to do without greens. Also I took out tree forms on the right. Is it better? Is it done? Thank you!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Apr-2012/983267-Rocks_Homework_Week_2_Revised_005_cr_enh.JPG

Vast improvement, Catherine! I love the soft trees and their contrast with the harsh jagged rocks. The way you painted them gives them such rugged contours and good depth. They look freshly broken, tumbled down by the action of water. Good water rendering too. The previous version was way too light and delicate, this one sings.

mjellis64
04-16-2012, 03:23 PM
Half my rocks look like potatoes! But this is so much fun, who cares? Still having trouble with attachments so maybe I need more postings to qualify...

mvStar
04-21-2012, 01:59 AM
My first day on this site and I think I will enjoy the experience. I realize how many different interpretations there are of the same subject - and they are all special.

Rosemarie
04-21-2012, 02:24 AM
Half my rocks look like potatoes! But this is so much fun, who cares? Still having trouble with attachments so maybe I need more postings to qualify...Dont use the attachments if it is a problem, use uploading button http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2012/2623-Bild_2012-04-21_kl._08.22.13.jpg . After you have clicked on the button another window will open where you can select the image. I find it works better then using attachments.

Donald_Smith
04-21-2012, 08:52 AM
Jo,

I know this is WAY late, but better late than never.. :)

If you have time to C&C it that would be great. If not, I know you're a very busy man.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2012/34342-D212012-1_small.jpg

Thanks I've learned a lot from your courses.

Donald

jezurus
04-22-2012, 02:43 PM
Here is a "Better late than never" entry, my painting from Johannes pic.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2012/157715-Surf.jpg

dbwindle
04-24-2012, 11:18 AM
I am unable to figure out how to upload a photo of a painting from 22 April. How do I do this?

Rosemarie
04-24-2012, 11:24 AM
I am unable to figure out how to upload a photo of a painting from 22 April. How do I do this?

Look here http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886612

dbwindle
04-24-2012, 04:00 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Apr-2012/220274-003_edited-4.jpg

AshlandCreekArt
04-24-2012, 05:31 PM
Nicely done, dbwindle. I was hoping people would post what they did in that class. Keep up the good work.

msparker
04-25-2012, 12:06 AM
Rock class was great still practicing hope to get a good rock pretty soon Thanks and thanks to all for showing your work great fun. Margene

twintops
04-25-2012, 05:02 PM
I really struggled with this homework!! I painted the rocks at least 3 times before I got to where I liked them. Then painted all the water at least twice. I am fairly happy with it now but I know there are still problems. Any comments or sggestions/critiques are welcome!!
Happy Painting to ALL!!:wave:

www.tandpcrafts.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/buckner

twintops
04-25-2012, 05:05 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2012/160635-redbudfallscopy.jpg
Well it might work better if I include the painting!! DUH!:lol:

397jocat
05-22-2012, 09:50 AM
I am not finding homework for Grass and snow --- is there any??

Rosemarie
05-22-2012, 10:07 AM
Yes - if you look at the main page Partner: WetCanvas Live! with Johannes Vloothuis you'll find Homework-Essentials of Painting Snow

Donald_Smith
05-22-2012, 10:31 PM
Home work for grass and snow is found here. Thank you JO!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1117282

Donald