PDA

View Full Version : Paris square--attempt#2 WIP

Olga
05-11-2003, 08:19 AM
Hi
Yesterday I posted a picture of a Paris square that I was unhappy with and got so much excellent advice from various folks here that I decided to redo it.
Then Doug, who was a HUGE help, suggested I do a WIP of the new version, so--with a bit of trepidation--here I go.
ALL HELP/COMMENTS/CRITIQUES (AND JUST PLAIN LOOKING ON) WILL BE GREATLY VALUED!!!

I redrew the scene, fixing, I hope, the perspective by moving the horizon line down to the eye level.
The people still seem big...but they are closer to the viewer than the buildings
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2003/7629-contrescarpe_WIP1.jpg

And this is after the first loose wash with some salt scattered on the buildings. THe bldg on the right seems to be leaning--but I think it's the scan--will recheck.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2003/7629-Contrescarpe_WIP2.jpg

It's on half sheet, Arches 140lb rough

Thanks for looking

Olga

artmom
05-11-2003, 08:54 AM
Looking good, so far!!!

tigre255
05-11-2003, 09:19 AM
Sitting back with my cuppa and waiting for more to see......

Looking good so far......

coffee_girl3000
05-11-2003, 09:41 AM
Here's another onlooker. Will give advice, but everything looks fine at present so I'm going to sit back and watch.

pampe
05-11-2003, 09:53 AM
looks like a good start, Olga

madmum
05-11-2003, 10:04 AM
No advice necessary so far, Olga, looking good, love the fresh colours of your first washes :)

Ruth

Yorky
05-11-2003, 10:56 AM
Looks spot on this time Olga!

Keep 'em comming!

Doug

Olga
05-11-2003, 12:23 PM
Thanks for watching and cheering on Lyn, Barb, Sarah, Pam, Ruth and Doug

Stopped at no particular place but it's dinner time... so a beak is in order

Hate that muddy green on the building in the back. Hope it's still salvageable... or scrubable (is that a word?)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2003/7629-contrescarpe_WIP3.jpg

Olga

Yorky
05-11-2003, 01:02 PM
Coming on fine!

Doug

Gilberte
05-11-2003, 01:06 PM
Hi, I'm here to encourage you !

Kate Mc
05-11-2003, 01:28 PM
Keep going! I like the darks on the roofs!

Kate

painterbear
05-11-2003, 02:31 PM
Hi Olga,

Missed version 1 (worked in the yard most of the day, not much computer time), but I like the composition and drawing on this version a lot. I like the figures of people here, they add a lot of life to the cityscape.

Your first couple of steps look very good. If you don't like the shade of green in the back, you can do a wash of another color over it because it isn't very dark and change it. It doesn't look bad as is to me though.

Thanks for doing this as a WIP, it is always fun to see the progress of a painting, and people's different ways of approaching one.

CharM
05-11-2003, 05:44 PM
Wow! Olga! Two things... You work fast!!! This is coming along beautifully!!!

I liked the first one too!!!

Annetta
05-11-2003, 05:49 PM
.....looking good Olga!! :clap: Love these WIP's...if I did one it would take a couple of weeks :rolleyes:...will be watching for updates :D

laudesan
05-11-2003, 05:54 PM
Cool Olga Ican see excactly how you are doing your painting which is an absolutely marvelous learning tool for me seeing as I am brand new to water colours. Your painting is just beautiful.
Judy

laudesan
05-11-2003, 06:01 PM
P.S.
Also love the subject. A love paris type painting. My dream is to do one of a cobbled stone road that wonderful lamp post you have in yours a few buildings a night scene.
I haven't found any pictures yet of what I want to give me inspriation but hopefully I will.
I can see what I did wrong on my first attempt painting of pyramids. I triesd to do it all at once and forgot about the light to dark motto...........
cheers
Judy

Olga
05-11-2003, 06:35 PM
Here is the next installment.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2003/7629-contrescarpe_WIP4.jpg

In the meantime, there has been a lot of scrubbing--I think I managed to remove the mud I somehow managed to put on the foreground. More work to be done there. Also that orange wall on the side street has to be toned down. And, of course, the people... But--no more for tonight.

Thanks for looking, Doug, Kate, Gilberte, Sylvia, Char, Annetta and Judy. You do serve as great motivators--I really was ready to chuck this one as well, but having posted it as a WIP, I thought I should persevere

Judy--WELCOME TO WET CANVAS
Looking forward to seeing your work. One gets lots of help from all the nice people here

Annetta and Char--my tendency is to work too fast.. makes wonderful muck. The rest will hopefully follow in due course--but I am working tomorrow....

Olga

Clasje
05-11-2003, 08:12 PM
The rest will hopefully follow in due course--but I am working tomorrow....

Olga [/B]

Don't you hate it when work interferes with creativity? I sure do!!! Your Paris square is coming along very nicely. Looking forward to further updates.
Groetjes,

Clasje :)

Gilberte
05-12-2003, 02:46 AM
Groetjes and kudo's again from me too ... it really looks great in its genre !

Nandie
05-12-2003, 02:59 AM
Olga - I love this! It's just wonderful!! I love the rich colors and I'm admiring the shading in the windows in that side street. Very well done!

**sitting back & sipping my Latte in a cafe across the street**

madmum
05-12-2003, 03:13 AM
Olga I'm glad you never gave up! WIP's are great to motivate you :D

Really like this so far, the purples combined with the warm yellows work very nicely. :)

Ruth

Yorky
05-12-2003, 04:27 AM
This looks great, Olga.

Now have a careful think about where the shadows should fall.

Doug

Sharon Douglas
05-12-2003, 04:32 AM
I`m sat across the street with Andrea looking on, and it`s looking very good so far.
I didn`t see your first try, so I`m looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
Are you working from a photograph?
Sharon.

P.S.
welcome to wetcanvas Judy, looking forward to seeing some of your work, especially the nightscene, that`s what I`m wanting to do, but like you say it`s hard to get a decent reference picture and I don`t fancy painting outdoors at night it`s not safe these days ( or should I say nights:rolleyes: )
Sharon.

Olga
05-12-2003, 08:34 AM
Thanks for looking everybody.

Clasje--yes, it is... even when you actually like your job as I do.

Gilberte--dank je... I am not sure about the "genre"--seems to paint itself this way even when I try not to...lol

Andrea--that square is a great place to have some coffee... and you can sit an enjoy it as long as you want...

Ruth--you noticed just what I was going for :)

Doug--yup... and no shadows in the photo to help

Sharon-- yes. It's in my reference library; taken just a few weeks back...Enjoy your coffee with Nandie.

Will try to work some more tonight...

Olga

babybrush
05-12-2003, 09:53 AM
have enjoyed tuning in to your WIP. looks like you have a great support team helping you with this one. comming along great!

Bethany

painterbear
05-12-2003, 10:55 AM
Olga,

Those lovely purple trees were a pleasant surprise! They look great against the colors of the buildings.

Notice you've toned down the green on the building in the background. It is a very nice shade now.

Waiting, patiently, for the next stage.

Astur
05-12-2003, 11:12 AM
Olga:

that look really great.... looking forward for more advances....

BTW, I will look the reference pic.. is just the kind of street scenes I'm trying to paint right now... with a different style, of course, but the buildongs and the people attract me...

Olga
05-12-2003, 03:40 PM
Am I done?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2003/7629-contrescarpe_WIP5.jpg

(I have a list of "still not happy with"--but I will spare you ;) )

Olga

madmum
05-12-2003, 03:58 PM
Olga I'd say you were done, and very nicely done too!

I love the purples and yellows together, in fact I like just about everything! :D

Ruth

Yorky
05-12-2003, 06:51 PM
Spot on, Olga.

You really mastered the perspective this time. Your buildings are teriffic. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Doug

Olga
05-13-2003, 01:54 AM
Ruth and Doug:
Thanks for looking and thanks for staying with me to the end :)

Olga

artmom
05-13-2003, 02:04 AM
Olga, this turned absolutely stunningly! I feel like I have just taken a trip to Paris--without the discomfort of a long flight! Very evocative of my idea of a Paris street scene.

Sharon Douglas
05-13-2003, 04:35 AM
I`d say that you are done , it`s lovely.
Sharon.

painterbear
05-13-2003, 05:40 AM
Hi Olga,

Very nice finish. I like the way you've painted the people. They add interest and liveliness to the lovely buildings of the square.

It may be just the scan, but the street leading back away from the square seems to be a very strong blue. I know it is in shadow, but the blue is pretty vibrant for a shadow tone.

Other than that one small nit, it is a terrific painting. I like it a lot.

Annetta
05-13-2003, 08:21 AM
....Wonderful finish Olga!! The improvements you made from the first one made all the difference. Great job!! :clap: :clap:

I guess we'll always have "not happy with's...." We want perfection :p :cat:

Olga
05-13-2003, 10:52 AM
Thanks Lyn, Sharon, Sylvia and Annetta

Sylvia--that blue is actually more violet than blue. It is pretty strong (though not quite as bright as in the scan) and I was considering toning it down a bit...
Thanks for the suggestion.

Annetta--I know...Now, if I only remembered those lists when I paint the next one ;)

Olga

mustcreate
05-13-2003, 10:56 AM
no perspective snags with this version Olga!!

figures fit right in

good value range

the trees have depth!

and I am enjoying that receding street :)

great job :)

em

geof
05-13-2003, 12:03 PM
Paris in the spring. :) This is such a happy picture. Well done Olga.

CharM
05-13-2003, 12:20 PM
Oh Olga, what a finish! This is superb!

Olga
05-13-2003, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the nice comments Em, Geof and Char... I am happier with this myself and it's all thanks to the WC help :)

Those purple blooming trees really gave Paris a happy spring feeling a couple of weeks ago. I gather they are called Paulownia trees or fox glove trees...

Olga