PDA

View Full Version : Sapphire - A dog portrait

Laura Tasheiko
05-11-2003, 01:17 AM
One of my neighbors lost her dog recently, and asked me if I would do a watercolor of her. Not my usual subject matter! She wanted "Sapphire" with delphiniums and peonies, so I put her in a garden. This is 15"x11" on d'Arches 140lb. Comments appreciated. Enjoy. L

Reference picture ...lol

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2003/6031-Saphie.jpg

My painting:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2003/6031-Sapphire.jpg

If anyone is interested in seeing the WIP for this it's <a href=http://userpages.prexar.com/art2000/Gallery/Tasheiko-WIP.html>HERE</a>

painterbear
05-11-2003, 07:00 AM
Hello Laura,

Very nice painting of your neighbor's dog. I'm sure it will give her great comfort when she looks at it.

I'm amazed at what a good job you did with that reference pictureŚNot much help in it. Would like to see a highlight in the dog's eyes, they are so very dark and almost lost in the face now.

Your flowers are lovely too. Very nice painting.

Olga
05-11-2003, 08:48 AM
hi Laura

I think the dog is very well rendered and the garden is lovely....
Perhaps adding a bit of shadow under the dog would tie the two together a bit better?

Olga

ScarletLake
05-11-2003, 08:59 AM
I think you did a great job on this & your friend I am sure will treasure it always.

I agree with Sylvia - the eyes are very dark & getting lost in the face.

Anita

artmom
05-11-2003, 09:06 AM
Great work from such a poor photo! IMO, the dog's eyes need some highlight, but other than that, I love it!

BTW, great WIPs on your site.

Flattwo
05-11-2003, 09:53 AM
Sapphire..set amonst other jewels, your neighbour will be very happy

Flattwo

pampe
05-11-2003, 09:57 AM
nice effort

agree about the shadow (she's floating now) and her eyes

Pam

mhimeswc
05-11-2003, 11:08 AM
Yes, you do need that highlight in the eyes, and the shadow on the ground, but other than that you have created a good likeness of Sapphire and he looks very happy among those lovely flowers.

Michelle

Laura Tasheiko
05-11-2003, 01:28 PM
Thank you everyone, for viewing and for your comments. I agree that she should 'sit' a little more and will go back in and do some shadow work - try to integrate her into the background a little more so she doesn't appear to be 'floating'.
The eyes do have highlights and are a little brighter in the original than appears on the scan.
This is a real departure for me in subject matter, and technique. I usually work the whole painting at once and so don't run into this kind of a problem, as occurs when subject is isolated and background put in afterwards.
Thanks again for looking and for your comments. :) L

Crystal Owl
05-11-2003, 04:17 PM
Nice job on this , we use to have a Sapphire she was a Blue Neopolitian Mastiff with ice blue eyes. I'd try and lighten a little of the brown a little bit if this were mine.

Irene

Pep
05-11-2003, 04:22 PM
My god! The background is absolutely amazing o_O I love the flowers, the grass, everything lol
The dog is also well done, but it seems like if he were floating? It┤s ok, I can┤t even draw a dog:crying:

CharM
05-11-2003, 05:35 PM
Laura, you've received good advice... You certainly did a beautiful job considering the ref pic... Well done, your neighbour will be pleased and comforted!

lynn_cyr
05-11-2003, 06:48 PM
Wow, this IS quite different than your usual work, Laura! But terrific, nonetheless!

You've gotten some great advice here (highlights in eyes, ground shadows, etc...). I'm sure your neighbor will be more than pleased with this!!

Lynn

Laura Tasheiko
05-13-2003, 02:55 PM
Went back in and added some shadows to make her 'sit' a bit more. Also fussed w/her face some, nose and mouth area mostly. Highlights in her eyes just don't scan for some reason. Decided this is one of those paintings you could spend forever on! But I'm not going to, especially since my client saw it before I made the changes and loved it! Paid me $250.00 in full, plus a $50.00 tip :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2003/6031-FinalSapphire.jpg

Thanks for viewing and for your comments. L

pampe
05-13-2003, 03:28 PM
:clap:

waHOOOO

nice for unframed quarter sheet!

CharM
05-13-2003, 04:29 PM
What a difference a few shadows and highlights have made!!! Way to go!!!

Laura Tasheiko
05-13-2003, 11:19 PM
Thanks Pam & Char, for viewing and your comments. Yes, just that little bit of extra effort made the difference I think. L