PDA

View Full Version : Mom's Rose

CharM
05-11-2003, 12:32 AM
Olga shared this picture a few days ago and uploaded it to the RIL. It's truly a beautiful rose... Olga, I think I've done it justice... Especially since I really hurried it... It's on Strathmore 9x12 cp, which is just really awful paper! The sizing kept lifting into my brush... arrrrgghh... If I need to fix anything, it will also have to be "quick fixes" because I want to give it to my Mother tomorrow (or today, actually)... Comments are welcome and appreciated!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2003/20514-MomsRose1.jpg

Phillip
05-11-2003, 03:14 AM
I think the rose & leaves is perfect.

Not to sure if I like the dark background though.

Much prefer slightly lighter background with more soft details.

M.A.
05-11-2003, 05:35 AM
A terrific job on Olga's rose, Char.
The background looks good, makes the rose pop.
Your mother will love it, she's very lucky.

artmom
05-11-2003, 08:47 AM
Char, It's wonderful! Maybe I'll get a rose completed someday! I'm determined to keep trying!:D

Olga
05-11-2003, 08:51 AM
BEAUTIFUL, CHAR!

You got the yellow with pink color just perfectly... and the full shape and the curl in the petals :)

Olga

Sandy1
05-11-2003, 09:41 AM
Other wonderful flower. Great Job.

pampe
05-11-2003, 09:55 AM
Looking good...only thing I MIGHT do is crop it in closer

Happy Mom's Day!

CharM
05-11-2003, 05:17 PM
Thanks for looking everyone!!!

Phillip... I actually prefer soft backgrounds, or none at all... I'm trying to stop outside the box, though... The digi pic didn't capture the bg very well... It's actually dark shades of indigo and hookers green... then I carved out a few lost leaves...

Thanks Mary-Ann... Mother did love it!!! I bought some cream and yellow roses and gave those to her as well...

Lyn... this is my fourth rose and I'm still not fully satisfied... I'll get there too... Thanks so much!!!

Olga... your picture was such an inspiration... to think that more than one mother enjoyed the rose is a boon!!! Thank you!

Sandy... I need to take lessons from you... BTW, I printed your roses wip because that's what I'm aiming for! Thanks!!!

Pam... I cropped it... And then, it even fit into a stock matte and frame... I told Mother that I would take it to be professionally framed and she wouldn't let me have it back... I guess that means she likes it... *chuckle*

Annetta
05-11-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by CharM
Olga shared this picture a few days ago and uploaded it to the RIL. It's truly a beautiful rose...

.......and truly a beautiful painting Char...and a wonderful mother's day gift to be cherished :angel:

CharM
05-11-2003, 07:10 PM
double ***beaming***

Thanks Annetta!!!

gealflings
05-11-2003, 07:21 PM
Char - this is gorgeous!! It's no surprise that she loved it and wouldn't give it back - I wouldn't either!!! :D

froggee501
05-11-2003, 07:41 PM
An idea for the background that I haven't seen in this forum yet...When the background is wet, but the foreground is dry, sprinkle some sea salt on sparingly... Obviously, try it on a scrap first, to see if you like it, but it makes for an interesting texture. :)

CharM
05-11-2003, 08:35 PM
Froggee...LOL... Keep reading the threads... Adding salt to backgrounds has been a subject of some discussion here... I have tried it unsuccessfully a few times... I have to keep practicing, because it has its place... Thanks for looking and commenting!

Phillip
05-11-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by CharM
Thanks for looking everyone!!!

Phillip... I actually prefer soft backgrounds, or none at all... I'm trying to stop outside the box, though... The digi pic didn't capture the bg very well... It's actually dark shades of indigo and hookers green... then I carved out a few lost leaves...

Hi CharM.
On my monitor it looks all black:)

I know I have the same problem at times with some of the paintings I scan in. Maybe I need to callabrate my monitor again.
Although it is perfect for any photos that I print. I get exactly what I see on the screen when I print.

CharM
05-11-2003, 09:57 PM
Hi Phillip... My scanner bed is only 8 1/2 x 14... My pics are too big to scan properly, so my hubby takes digi photos... In nearly every one of them, the colour is not truly represented. This can really present problems when we ask for honest critiques of our work... Sometimes, what people are seeing isn't the problem at all but the result of poor pictures or scans. I restore photographs in Photopaint and never have difficulty in printing what's on my monitor. The paintings I've been posting just aren't the same as real life...

I take all constructs with a grain of salt because I suspect that everyone else is having similar problems and I'm very new to watercolour. Thanks...:) :) :)

lyn lynch
05-12-2003, 01:44 AM
LOL, Char, take than grain of salt and put it on your b/g for practice; that is what I am doing now. I have difficulty hitting the right time, too, so I am in sympathy.

I am learning by doing the b/g though, as they are not as critical as a tree. I find that by tilting my paper I can check the degree of wet. Also, using McCormick "Sea Salt GRINDER" that I bought at Safeway.

When I sprinkle the salt and it hits a dry area I slop my brush, tip it into paint and shake it at the dry salt; don't get a tree, but I do get an effect. I did this on the b/g of portrait I did of Sarah [Coffeegirl], and top of head on portrait of Uschi.

Anyway, your rose is lovely. I know mom was pleased and sure also that the framing was well done. I only go to a professional framer when I need a matt cut. And, your additional gift of real roses was inspired. Lovely work and quickly done. You are a good daughter.

Brelaina
05-12-2003, 01:56 AM
Gorgeous rose Charm ! I'm can see why your Mother loved it.

....and my favourite coloured rose ! have you painted roses before ? I 'm getting ready to attempt my first rose but I have such high expectations .I f mine comes out half as good as yours I'll be happy!

Bre

Nandie
05-12-2003, 02:44 AM
Really nice Char, I just can't paint flowers so I always admire someone who can!! I'm sure your mom loved this!

CharM
05-12-2003, 07:32 AM
Fookie, no one EVER gets my little verbal twists! I love that you did!!!!! I really like the textural effects of salt in the background and since I have to practice backgrounds anyway, I will keep trying.

With knee and hip replacements, my Mother is nearly housebound. I try to get over at least once a week and always call her daily...

Thanks for your kind words!!!

Bre... This is my fourth... Roses are challenging and I'm going to keep painting them till I get it right... I want that papery look that is difficult to achieve.... Thanks...

Nandie... thanks so much...