PDA

View Full Version : Tulips and Lace

CharM
05-11-2003, 12:27 AM
Hi All... I attended a day-long workshop today and this is what we painted... There were 8 students and every picture looked a little different... From the PABG (paranoid about backgrounds) Lady, please note that this has a very dark b/g!!! All comments are welcome and appreciated!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2003/20514-TulipsAndLace1.jpg

surreal
05-11-2003, 02:21 AM
Soft and pretty.

artijan
05-11-2003, 03:35 AM
A lovely result from your workshop. How did you manage all the holes in the lace in one day? Looks like it would take ages. Good job on the dark bg too.

Jan

M.A.
05-11-2003, 05:33 AM
Dear PABG,
I think you have done a wonderful job on this background. The flowers are lovely but who cares about them when there is such a wonderful background. :)
:clap:

Nice work Char. Sounds like a great workshop.

Nitsa
05-11-2003, 06:32 AM
Oh Char......This is beautiful!
WD on that fantastic b/g! ;) :clap:

tigre255
05-11-2003, 06:51 AM
Very lovely painting Char.....you did well.....love your lace, well done......

capricorne
05-11-2003, 07:02 AM
Nice en delicate painting
Jan

Uschi
05-11-2003, 07:09 AM
This is veery lovely Char, and considering it was done in a workshop - doubly lovely!!! For me, things painted in a workshop never turned out as good as if I had done it at home.
Uschi

painterbear
05-11-2003, 07:10 AM
Very nice painting, Char. The background looks terrific and makes the flowers stand out. I especially like the way you've painted the leaves with different colors and turns and twists.

The lace looks very good too, especially the part hanging down over the edge of the table.

Olga
05-11-2003, 08:35 AM
I agree with all of the above, Char.
Nice colrs, nice composition, super background... and your leaves are great, too.
That lace would have driven me up the wall so I am doubly impressed.
I hardly dare to mention it because it is a lovely, delicate painting... but I do think it needs a little more shadows to make the flowers a bit rounder (so on the lover side of the flowers) and... perhaps some very very subtle tone change where the doily folds down...

Olga

artmom
05-11-2003, 08:59 AM
Char, This is fantastic! I love the palette--and the crochet (or is it lace) is unbelievable--is there a secret to doing it?????

I do agree w/Olga that just some soft shadows in the lower side of the tulips would be great.:D

Lyn

Sandy1
05-11-2003, 09:39 AM
CharM this is wonderful. The lace is amazing . You did this in one day. I wish I could paint that fast.
Sandy

Sylvielu
05-11-2003, 09:39 AM
This is lovely! I especially like the lace. One day I want to attempt doing lace. It gives the painting a special touch of home.

Flattwo
05-11-2003, 09:49 AM
Hi Char

Nice.....the petals are like Velvet set against a mysterious backgrond.. the lace is suggestive..intriguing...what is going to occur tonight..he wonders

Flattwo

pampe
05-11-2003, 10:31 AM
very nicely done, char

tell us more about the workshop

norsky
05-11-2003, 12:52 PM
Well coming form someone who is learining this new medium-This is simple and beautiful all in itself.

Norsky:clap:

CharM
05-11-2003, 05:06 PM
Thank you Surreal!

Jan... drawing the lace was much more bother than painting it... I kept telling myself to focus on the objects and their relationship to each other...

Mary-Ann... thanks... as you know, I really struggle with my bg's and I signed up for this workshop because of the dark background!

Nitsa... thanks... I was proud of the fact that I got it dark and then actually liked it dark!

Tigre and Capricorne Jan... thanks so much...

Uschi... as a telecommuter in my job, I don't socialize much... When I get into a workshop I want to visit more than paint... This was so interesting to do, that I didn't even talk much!!!

Sylvia... thanks... the background leaves were added during the stages of the background washes... It unified the colours and made for very interesting leaves...

Olga... you're right about the shadow and I shall fix that... I think that I'll have this pic framed so I really want it to be right.

Lyn... it's crochet... I think I'm going to try this again because the result is very pleasing with flowers... because it's mainly negative painting, it's not as hard as it looks... just fussy... No special technique, but if you want to know more, just pm me...

Sandy... I, honestly, wish I could paint like you!!!! But thanks for the compliment!!!

Thank you Sylvielu!!!

Henry... your mind works in mysterious ways!!! LOL Thanks!

Pam... there isn't much to offer in my area for art lessons. Every three or four months, my teacher has a workshop... She supplies the paper and paint!!! She accepts only 8-10 students and charges $50 for the day... including lunch! Unfortunately, I've learned more on WC than I have with my teach, but I enjoy the companionship and socialization... The next workshop is a macro of columbines... on my birthday!!!

Norsky... thank you... I'm new to this also and I empathize with you...

Annetta
05-11-2003, 06:28 PM
.....sorry for the late response, but had to comment. Char, this is, IMHO, your best so far!! Loving the detail in the crochet doily. :clap: :clap: Be sure to share the macro from your next class.

CharM
05-11-2003, 07:08 PM
***beaming***

Thanks Annetta!!!

Clasje
05-11-2003, 07:25 PM
Char what a beauty you created here. I think it is really superb.

Clasje :)

CharM
05-11-2003, 08:33 PM
Thanks so much Clasje... and it was fun to do, even as fussy as it looks!

Nandie
05-12-2003, 03:11 AM
Beautiful, Char! The delicate lace and translucent, papery texture of the flowers is amazing!!!!

CharM
05-12-2003, 07:22 AM
Thanks Andrea... the workshop was fun. BTW, I'll be mailing your portrait today!

Little Old Lady
05-12-2003, 08:29 AM
Wonderful flowers and lace. Great result from a work shop.
JoAnn

Darren
05-12-2003, 02:25 PM
Char, this is beautiful--you must have incredible patience to draw and then paint the lace.

thanks for sharing it with us

darren

rks
05-12-2003, 04:01 PM
Char, Hard to believe you did this great painting in a workshop. Very well done!! Any chance you'll share your secret of painting lace?

Roberta

CharM
05-12-2003, 04:25 PM
JoAnn, Darren and Roberta... thanks for your very kind comments. My workshop experience (I've attended three) has been very positive... Is this not the norm? Since I'm considering another composition with lace, I'll do it as a wip... I have a project painting to complete first, though... The worst part of the whole process is drawing all those little holes. You'll notice that only those in front and bottom centre are actually the lace pattern... The rest are just random holes which fool the eye... Then it's really a matter of shading, which is done before anything else, and negative painting... I put at least 3 juicy washes in the holes... They should be just a tad darker than the background surface...

Nandie
05-12-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by CharM
Thanks Andrea... BTW, I'll be mailing your portrait today!

Yippeeee!!!!:D :clap: :D :clap:

karenjh
05-12-2003, 05:38 PM
Char,

Your tulips are gorgeous. I love the smooth transition you have in their color. Great leaves too. Did you mask any of the lace or did you negative paint all of it. I don't think my brain can work that way - I'd probably have to mask it. Great job ont his and even more impressive that it was done in one day.

CharM
05-13-2003, 12:40 AM
Karen, we didn't use masking at all... In fact, it was easier than it looks to negatively paint the holes... I think the precision was better because of it... Thanks for your kind words!

Alan Cross
05-13-2003, 01:13 AM
Nice one Char good job on that lace.
Alan :)

Sher
05-13-2003, 01:14 AM
So springy, and the lacey doily gives the tulips a more delicate look! :clap:

matingara
05-13-2003, 08:14 AM
Paranoid about backgrounds???? Why - this one sets the negative space off beautifully! This is a lovely balanced and harmonious painting.

Great job!

Joel.

CharM
05-13-2003, 09:30 AM
Alan, Sher and Joel... thanks for you kind comments!!!