PDA

View Full Version : Nupastels

angeline
05-11-2003, 12:54 AM
Ok I have been broseing about and think my pastel collection might benifit from a few harder ones.
Alot of you seem to use nupastels.....has anyone tried contes?
I can't seem to find a supplier of nupastels in the uk.
Help anyone?!

butterfly
05-11-2003, 03:12 AM
Hi Angeline:

I mostly use NuPastels ... and tried Conte Crayons Wednesday passed in my drawing class ... I am uploading a picture of a still life we did for practice (don't laugh I tried). The conte crayons have oil in them and are kind of waxie ... you have to scrape them off when you want to change something. I also sent a pix for you of my conte crayons, so you can see what I had to work with. NuPastels are soft pastels really but are square and harder than a sennelier or unisons, some of the colors are real hard and others are just right ( I know this sounds like the three bears fairy tale, but ...I really love them). Honestly I didn't really like the conte crayons, can see using them under oil pastels, but don't particularly like them ... had to use a blending tool with them ... but with the NuPastels I could use the sticks themselves one on top of the other to blend, my fingers, or a blending tool!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2003/19725-Conte_Crayons_1.jpg

The digital camera and the "uploader" distorted the picture a little, but you can get the idea I was trying to portray.

Hope this helps you,
Butterfly/Roni

angeline
05-11-2003, 04:47 AM
Thanks for that .......but i didn't mean the crayon's I mean't the "soft" Conte's like these......you can't tell from the box but these ones are round
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2003/19726-conte-48-pastel-set.jpg
Oh I have also found that Faber-castell Polychromos are available in the uk and ranked just above nupastels by dakota so I wonder if they would do the same job?

Mo.
05-11-2003, 07:44 AM
Hayley..don't know whether you've seen this at Dick Blick's

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2003/5154-faber.jpg

As you can see the colours are all very pale, no darks in there, also Dakota say that they are a good alternative to Nu Pastels so I would think they are very similar...hope this helps you.

Cheers,
Mo.

E-J
05-11-2003, 08:01 AM
I bought a couple of Faber-Castells and they are a lot dustier than the Nupastels. Fine for adding a few more colours to your collection but I don't think I'd rush to buy a whole set.

I haven't tried the round Contés. The sticks are not dissimilar to Nupastels ~ they have the same smooth sort of coating ~ though they are smaller, thinner, more expensive and rather scratchy to use.

I bought my Nupastels on a trip to New York but when I start running out, I will probably order another box of 24 from Dick Blick [they're currently only $15.98 (£10) ~ about $20 elsewhere]. With P+P they probably come to the same price as the equivalent number of Contés w/o postage anyway.

crumbedbrains
05-11-2003, 09:52 AM
I've got the whole set of Fabers and I love 'em!! . . . they DO have a fair few darks in the full set (and it looks like Mo has the ful set coz there's only about 110 colours in the Fabers . . mmm maybe different sets . .dunno). . . They're not too hard but not too soft. I do find the colour set a bit limiting so therfore need to supplement with some more . . .lately, as far as colour range is concerned I'm finding it hard to beat the Unisons.

The NuPastels look similar to the Fabers but I've never tried them . . . Sounds like EJ has more experience here than me . .

I also have conte hard but thave never even seen the round soft ones.

Cheers
Crumby

E-J
05-11-2003, 09:55 AM
Crumby, let's bear in mind that with your level of skill you could probably get great results with any pastel ... when it comes to materials, some of us need all the help we can get, LOL :D :)

angeline
05-11-2003, 01:55 PM
Thanks guys........Mo the Faber's I have seen have got plenty of darks in.......in the Great art catalogue.
Crumbly thanks for that....I do think I will get some im interested in the blending with harder pastels.
EJ.........lol at your comment to Crumbly!
Over all it seem the Faber's are similar to nupastels but not quite as hard? I think that may suit me as I have got used to working with schminkes! Can't get any softer!.........lol
OOOHHHHHHH don't you just love all the colours in a new box of pastels I'm drooling already!........lol

butterfly
05-12-2003, 12:47 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by angeline
[B]Thanks for that .......but i didn't mean the crayon's I mean't the "soft" Conte's like these......you can't tell from the box but these ones are round
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2003/19726-conte-48-pastel-set.jpg

Angeline: You have to help me out here now ... "Conte" is a brand name and not a "kind-of" pastel or crayon ... boy am I confused (as you can tell I am really new at the different types of mediums there are in pastels) and the brand "Conte" come in soft and waxie/oil type like I have????:confused:
I went to Jerry's today here in south Florida and now I am confused even further ... probably didn't have the right staff person it being Sunday and Mother's day and all ... I think I need my friends here at WC to help explain ....

Butterfly/Roni :confused:

angeline
05-12-2003, 03:51 AM
Roni ........yes you have got it!
Conte make soft pastels.....which in relation to other pastels are quite hard and also make hard pastels which must be the type you have .......waxy.
Dakota Art pastels have a little table ..............but they don't stock conte pastels.

Comparing Soft Pastels
Listed in order of softness (#1 being the softest)

#1 SCHMINCKE
#2 GREAT AMERICAN
#3 SENNELIER
#4 UNISON
#5 DIANE TOWNSEND SOFT
#6 MOUNT VISION
#7 GIRAULT
#8 ROWNEY
#9 BLOCKX #10 GRUMBACHER
#11 ART SPECTRUM
#12 REMBRANDT
#13 HOLBEIN