PDA

View Full Version : Clearing

Helen Zapata
05-10-2003, 06:13 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-10-2003/13900_Clearing500.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Clearing
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12x16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Thought I'd try my hand at making up a landscape from my imagination. This was truly horrible for awhile, but I kept plugging away and I like it a lot now. Also, started working with some glazing, and the painting has a lovely glow in person.

Helen

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything~

jerryW
05-10-2003, 06:35 PM
very interesting color
not bad at all for a realistic depiction of how nature fits together.
quite smart.

woodguy
05-10-2003, 06:55 PM
Quite smart indeed, Helen! And very pleasant to look at....great color. Jim

coulter
05-10-2003, 07:40 PM
Wonderful colors! From imagination? As others have said, "smart".... and nice :)

Mark

Helen Zapata
05-10-2003, 10:25 PM
Thanks Jerry, Jim, and Mark!

It was a real learning experience for me (what isn't when it comes to art?).

Helen

artbabe21
05-10-2003, 10:31 PM
nice job there....you bluey girl...must be your fave color :)
are you done with 5x7's?

Helen Zapata
05-10-2003, 10:34 PM
Hi Cathleen! Welcome home!

It's not that I love "blue" ... it's that I love Prussian Blue!! It's my favorite, favorite color to paint with. I use it for blues, greys, greens.. yummmmmmm :D

oops, had to hit edit.. I forgot to say.. I'm not really done with 5x7s. But I ran out of them and have to get some more. I went to the art store yesterday (looking at other artists and wondering if I know them from WC), got all into buying brushes and paint, and plumb forgot to get more 5x7s. Drat

Helen

mjt
05-11-2003, 12:05 AM
My hands down favorite so far!!

Michael

Wayne Gaudon
05-11-2003, 07:44 AM
My hands down favorite so far!!

wonder why LOL

.. nice job Helen

pero lane
05-11-2003, 10:20 AM
Love the softness!! Beautiful work!

Helen Zapata
05-11-2003, 10:25 PM
Thanks Michael! I'm so glad you like it after having to listen to me moan over it this week. :)

hah, thanks Wayne. I guess you can tell that I kept Michael's paintings readily available for inspiration, huh! I still don't have that wild loose hand with trees, but I think I'm slowly getting there.

Pero, thank you for looking, and your nice comments. :)

Helen

mattlart
05-11-2003, 11:18 PM
It has a lovely glow on my screen as well, helen. Magnifique.
The tree aglow with Autumn leaves is gorgeous! Well Done.

somerset
05-12-2003, 01:05 AM
think you should go visit your imagination more often. look what was waiting for you!

Helen Zapata
05-12-2003, 02:18 AM
Thank you, Scott! I wanted to let you know that this piece was greatly influenced by both Michael and you! I worked on it for awhile, and was honestly just about to wipe the whole thing down and give up on it. Then I thought about your vivid burnt siennas and that golden glow that you achieve. I decided to give it one last shot.. and threw in some rich golds and reddish browns. I threw it in, and scrabbled around, and suddenly I could see the possibilities.

Michael told me that when a painting is failing, that I should step back and think logically about what I needed to do to make it succeed. Recharged with excitement from my Scott colors, I thought about it for a few hours. And the last two sessions were all about the art. Fabulous! It all came together. And for that, I really want you Scott, and Michael, to know how much I appreciate everything I'm learning from you.

Somerset, thank you! I don't know that I will do more paintings entirely from my imagination.. I really do suck at it pretty much. But I'm excited about starting with the photos I love to work with, and then using my imagination to take them all the way. Like Larry says, "to leave out what I don't need", ...and then have the guts to add in that which it does.

Helen