PDA

View Full Version : Morning Glories WIP

karenjh
05-10-2003, 04:51 PM
This is a Peggy DeSoto lesson. I think I am ready to do the flowers. I thought my darks were really dark until I put in the leaves, now I might have to go back in there after the flowers are done, but we'll see. I had some difficulty with the instructions, for me they were a bit confusing here and there.

Those of you that saw my last couple of rose paintings know I am struggling with leaves - Are these better? Any other comments?

15" x 22" Arches Hot Press
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2003/8699-Morning_Glories_WIP.JPG

Thanks for looking!

CharM
05-10-2003, 06:25 PM
Karen!!! Your leaves are definitely improving!!! I've visited her website and looked at this exercise several times... I haven't had the courage to try it!!! Good job so far... Looking forward to progress reports...

babybrush
05-10-2003, 06:50 PM
looking great!! just keep going. this is the point where we all want to stop, but just realize success is just over the next... layer? doesn't really work, but then thats why i'm an artist and not an inspirational speaker.

Bethany

M.A.
05-10-2003, 07:25 PM
Nice looking leaves, looking forward to seeing more.

mhimeswc
05-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Your painting looks great so far. I too have looked at this tutorial, and really like her paintings a lot, but I found the tutorial a little confusing too. I haven't tried underpainting leaves the way she does them, but yours look really good.

Michelle

karenjh
05-10-2003, 08:49 PM
Char, Bethany and Fun2Cook, thanks for looking and your encouraging words.

Michelle, I am so glad I am not the only one that found this confusing. Besides confusing after I did three lessons I read ahead to number 4 and she mentions something that you were supposed to be doing in a previous lesson, but never mentioned it during that lesson! Oh well, I am trying to learn and that is the point of doing this anyway so I am not going to get hung up on it.

artijan
05-11-2003, 12:42 AM
Your leaves look pretty good so far, Karen.

I tried this lesson when I first started watercolour. Thought the underpainting technique was very interesting but I messed up the top layer. Bit too difficult for a beginner but I'm tempted to try again.

I look forward to your finished project.

Jan

painterbear
05-11-2003, 07:14 AM
Hi Karen,

I remember your struggle with the rose leaves in other threads and it looks like your struggle was worthwhile--these leaves are really looking terrific. Lots of variation in shapes and colors, you've even curved some of them. I like the soft background too. Good job on it.

I look forward to seeing the flowers as you paint them.

karenjh
05-11-2003, 10:16 AM
Sylvia, I really tried hard to draw some different shaped leaves this time and get some that have some folds, etc. I think I am determined to keep doing leaves until I get them where I want them. I am so happy you remembered the other paintings and think these leaves are improved.

Jan, go ahead - try this again - heck it's only paper and paint!

Sandy1
05-11-2003, 10:52 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Fabulous start.
Sandy

karenjh
05-11-2003, 01:50 PM
I underpainted the flowers this moring. Jeez, there are a lot more steps left. Overpainting flowers, more glazing, lifting color, adding some detail. It's going to take some time!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2003/8699-Morning_Glories_WIP_2.jpg

painterbear
05-11-2003, 02:07 PM
Love what you've got going with the flower underpainting. It looks a little like Pam's motherwash only done on each flower.

What is Peggy DeSoto's website called? I tried using Sherlock to find it but all I came up with was the explorer DeSoto.

Sandy1
05-11-2003, 02:43 PM
Oh take your time. This is going to be fantastic. Heck it already is.
Can't wait to see more.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

mhimeswc
05-11-2003, 02:50 PM
Painterbear,
Her name is actually Penny Soto, and the tutorial is on www.worldofwatercolor.com.

Michelle

mpopinz
05-11-2003, 02:56 PM
Karen,

As always, your work is stunning. This is no exception.

Crystal Owl
05-11-2003, 04:09 PM
Looking great Karen! :)

Irene

Annetta
05-11-2003, 06:41 PM
.......patience grasshopper ;) Karen, this is looking great!! The leaves are very nice indeed, and your wash/colors on the morning glories thus far is lovely. Will be watching progress with much anticipation :)

karenjh
05-11-2003, 07:49 PM
Ooops, Thanks Michelle for correcting my mistake on the name of the tutorial and pointing in the right direction.

Painterbear - Heck any reference to Pam in connection to a painting of mine is such a compliment!

Sandy, Irene and Annetta - Thanks for looking and taking the time to comment. I hope I can work on this during the week. This step by step is fun.

karenjh
05-23-2003, 06:17 PM
Well here is where I am at now. I am pondering next steps - Any comments or suggestions would be great. I don't enough depth in the center of the flowers which is really bothering me but I am stumped as to how to get there.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2003/8699-Morning_Glories_WIP_3.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2003/8699-Morning_Glories_WIP_4.jpg

CharM
05-23-2003, 06:52 PM
Karen, I have always found morning glories difficult to paint because their throats are very light, which is associated with highlights!!! Just above your yellow centres, the value should be fairly dark... That's what will lend shape and depth... I'm assuming you still have the final wash to do, as well as lifting the spines on each flower... That will also help in providing you with the depth you need...

This is really progressing beautifully! The colour is going to be absolutely stunning!

artmom
05-23-2003, 06:56 PM
Karen, this is going to be very nice! Pam's suggestion is excellent--the little touch of dark around the yellow--then the spines of the flower to give it that "trumpety" effect!:)

CharM
05-23-2003, 07:05 PM
Thanks Lyn!!! If I had the talent in Pam's little fingernail, my paintings would improve 100 fold!!!

karenjh
05-23-2003, 09:40 PM
Thanks Char and Lyn - I am going to give your suggestion a whirl tomorrow. I needed some advice and encouragement to keep this going.

Faafil
05-24-2003, 03:03 AM
this is just beautiful ! I've seen that tutorial and drooled over it many times. You are definitely doing it justice ! your greens are wonderful, and the flowers are going to be fantabulous ! can't wait to see the finishing touches...

Uschi
05-24-2003, 07:46 AM
This is turning out really beautiful Karen!!!!
Uschi

painterbear
05-24-2003, 11:00 AM
Karen,

Don't you dare give up now! This is coming along fine. Just put the dark close to the light yellow and draw it out, lightening as you progress out from the center. Give it a try on a scrape piece of paper and see just how dark you need to go and how wet to make the wash to draw it out.

You are doing a terrific job with this composition. Look forward to seeing the next step(s).

Rosemarie
05-24-2003, 02:00 PM
So do I!:clap:

karenjh
06-08-2003, 02:08 PM
I am getting closer to finishing this off....

Any comments or critique before I put on some finishing touches would be greatly appreciated?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jun-2003/8699-Morning_Glories_WIP_5.jpg

M.A.
06-08-2003, 03:11 PM
Wow! This really looks great! What are you doing for the background, or does it need one?

CharM
06-08-2003, 03:40 PM
Karen, I haven't anything to offer regarding suggestions for finishing this off... The flowers and leaves are stunning... their depth of colour is just beautiful... I was wondering about a background, also... It will be a difficult decision, I think... Keep us posted with your decision.

Question... would you try this technique again?

painterbear
06-08-2003, 04:18 PM
Hi Karen,

Nothing to suggest, I think your flowers are beautiful.

SouthernSun
06-08-2003, 04:18 PM
everything looks GREAT. I've looked at her tutorials and even bought her new book. But it helps so much to see your posting of your painting. Thanks for sharing it. Are you using the paints she recommended? She seems to use a lot of colors?

karenjh
06-08-2003, 06:56 PM
Fun2Cook and Char - Thank you for your encouraging comments! There is a flat wash of FUB and and then Violet above all of the flowers. It doesn't show up well in the digital photo, but it is a nice color and I am going to leave it as is. According to Penny Soto this is the "resting" place in the painting.

Yes I would definitely do this technique again. I used the technique for the background of another flower painting I did a few weeks ago and I like it alot. The one thing I did different than her was that she fills in her darks and medium tones with pencil. I think that defeats the purpose of transparent watercolors so I mixed a couple of values of a transparent grey instead for the first layer in the dark backgrounds. Although I have to say her paintings are gorgeous so who I am to comment on that anyway LOL.

SouthernSun - I didn't use as many colors as she did - Or her suggestions because I don't have them, so I came as close as I could. She seems to use a lot of different tube colors (and brands) rather than mixing up colors.

karenjh
06-08-2003, 06:56 PM
Oops, Thanks Painterbear too!

Fagan
06-08-2003, 06:59 PM
Looks fantastic! I like the technique and enjoyed the WIP. thanks for sharing. *SMILE*

karenjh
06-10-2003, 07:27 AM
Fagan,

Thanks for looking and for your wonderful comments. It's my first WIP here and I really did enjoy that part of the painting process as well and the outcome.