PDA

View Full Version : Marvin's portrait

M.A.
05-10-2003, 03:13 PM
Hey Folks,

Great news, I convinced Marvin to send along a reference photo of himself to me so I can work on a portrait of him.

His characters have been so much fun. Now it's our turn!

I was going to start on his portrait this afternoon but I have subsequently been given my first watercolor commission!!! I'm so excited and figure I better get at it!

I will start to work on Marvin's portrait soon (and more portraits in the exchange ... some are already underway!) but thought I'd post his reference photo here so others may have a chance to paint his likeness too!

Have fun! Happy painting! (And thank you Marvin!)
:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2003/18725-marvinfull.jpg

mchew
05-10-2003, 03:16 PM
*** Covering face with shirt and running around like headless chicken...aaaaaarrgh****

Omigosh!! What have I done??? LOL!

pampe
05-10-2003, 03:21 PM
ya, well

tit for tat and all that

hang on to your hat, kid

:evil:

babybrush
05-10-2003, 03:24 PM
haha, watch out Marv!

Bethany

lyn lynch
05-10-2003, 03:26 PM
Whop!!! Here MA stepping up again!!

MA, why not start another project, this entitled "MCHEW Portrait in Watercolor", utilizing just ONE image, and that image to be selected by Marvin. Marvin has done so much for this forum, including his wonderful tut on landscape, that I agree w/your idea of painting him.

To limit the number of participants and using just the one image would give all an opportunity to critique and learn though the critique process--that for which it is intended.

If MA too busy, perhaps someone else would volunteer. As unofficial president of Marvin Fan Club I would like to do so, but unstable energy level prohibits at this time.

mchew
05-10-2003, 03:27 PM
OK...ok... here's one taken most recently after finish the mural at home.... didn't shave for days... but you must paint all the stubble.. LOL :evil: :evil: :D :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2003/14541-melighthouse.jpg

mchew
05-10-2003, 03:33 PM
Can someone adjust my glasses when painting me, looks like the side on my left is a tad higher... hehehe

Uschi
05-10-2003, 03:37 PM
All I can say at the moment is :MARVIN you look sooooo cute!!!!!
Uschi

Fookie - ROFLOL - unofficlial president of Marvin fan club - good one!!!!

tigre255
05-10-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by fookie
Whop!!! Here MA stepping up again!!

MA, why not start another project, this entitled "MCHEW Portrait in Watercolor", utilizing just ONE image, and that image to be selected by Marvin. Marvin has done so much for this forum, including his wonderful tut on landscape, that I agree w/your idea of painting him.

To limit the number of participants and using just the one image would give all an opportunity to critique and learn though the critique process--that for which it is intended.

If MA too busy, perhaps someone else would volunteer. As unofficial president of Marvin Fan Club I would like to do so, but unstable energy level prohibits at this time.

I like your idea fookie, but unable to do it myself.....maybe someone will come along who is able........

mchew
05-10-2003, 03:39 PM
**BLUSH BLUSH***

Well, let's just say you're not the first person who said that! LOL

mchew
05-10-2003, 03:40 PM
Oh ya... forgot to add.... and you guys MUST paint my crooked teeth! muahahaha:evil: :evil:

M.A.
05-10-2003, 04:07 PM
Marvin ... this is going to be fun! Don't run! Don't run! After all of the nice sketches you did of us, it's our turn to repay you :angel: or :evil: we'll find out.

In any event, Marvin has also kindly added these two pics to his RIL and a good source says there are more photos of Marvin to come. (Since not everyone may want to work from the same reference picture).

I see some talented portrait artists have already stepped into this thread ... the challenge is really heating up ... Marvin says to doo toofies :D

Fookie and Barb - great idea. Maybe a moderator can move this thread into the project section?

Srettig
05-10-2003, 06:19 PM
Here is a WIP of Marvin That I started a little while ago.

I couldn't get motivated to do a pencil commision, so I decided to go to WetCanvas and see what the good people are up to. I found Marvins sketch of everyone just fantastic. and when saw this I just had to give it a go.

Such balance in life. I found my motivation. (c:

Thanks,
Scott

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2003/15515-marv_wip1.jpg

lyn lynch
05-10-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Srettig
Here is a WIP of Marvin That I started a little while ago. Thanks, Scott
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2003/15515-marv_wip1.jpg

GAME CALLED...
I'm intimidated out...
Great, fantastic work, Scott.
Oh, Marvin such pretty boy...such big motivator for all...

M.A.
05-10-2003, 07:01 PM
Scott! This is fantastic! Thanks for posting the WIP ... I think it's sleepy time where Marvin is so it'll be a huge surprise for him when he wakes up to see this. Looking forward to seeing the finished piece. Love your motivation. This board always has a wonderful surprise on it.

Fookie, I can't imagine anyone or anything intimidating you! Look it, you're gonna make me get my brrom now? :) I can't wait to see your genius at work on Marvin's portrait!

Do you guys really want this to be a project? Raise your hand if you really want this to be a project, and I'll go submit it. I need a show of 5 hands before I'll create it though.

(Gosh, I'm tough lol.)

tigre255
05-10-2003, 07:03 PM
Count me in Mary-Ann......should be fun........lol

Srettig
05-10-2003, 07:18 PM
cool, count me in. (Duh !)

M.A.
05-10-2003, 07:19 PM
LOL. Okay, that's three hands and counting...

babybrush
05-10-2003, 07:26 PM
four!

Bethany

woodsyl
05-10-2003, 07:47 PM
fun2cook - what a great idea! And Scott what a fabulous painting so far.

I'm not good enough to participate, but I'll sure be watching!

Sylvi

M.A.
05-10-2003, 07:51 PM
Okay, Bethany makes four. Any more takers for a project on Martin's portrait?

Fookie - here's a little something to get you back in the game: I know you can do much better than this.

Size: 9" x 5"
Paper: on card stock paper
Medium: Cardomark, Venus Permanent 300 (aka magic marker)
Time: 5.25 minutes

(Marvin, I'm just warming up - gotta get to that commission - but I'm coming back once the project is approved with my watercolors! Oh, surprise, it's gonna be a project ... hope you had a nice sleep.)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2003/18725-marvincharacter.jpg

Srettig
05-10-2003, 07:53 PM
fun2cook,
Here is Marvin as I see him.

BTW, since this is a Watercolor forum I should do a watercolor of him.

This was fun! Thanks fun2cook.

Scott

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2003/15515-marvin_pencil.jpg

M.A.
05-10-2003, 07:55 PM
:clap: Scott! Fantastic! And fast! Looks like your muse is back! Looking forward to your watercolor version.
:clap:

babybrush
05-10-2003, 08:32 PM
great job scott! I am hoping that humor is alowed in this project, i have a feeling that i am going to be a little goofy on this. just a little though.

Bethany

Srettig
05-10-2003, 08:40 PM
fun2cook, Bethany,

Thank you for your kind comments. Itís amazing what motivates us sometimes. I am thankful for it when it does occur.

Scott

Little Old Lady
05-10-2003, 08:57 PM
Count me in on the project. I won't get around to it for awhile bit amxious to be a part of it.
Scott . This is fantastic,

yahooserious
05-10-2003, 09:13 PM
This is going to be tons of fun to watch!! Marvin is such a muffin..

Emilie

karenboss
05-10-2003, 09:24 PM
oh, ho! fun - ok I'll join such a project even though I'm no good at portraits AT ALL and there are already such a wonderful collection to compare to - it's just too fun to resist!!

After finals tho!!
two more weeks, two more weeks, two more weeks.... gotta write

Uschi
05-10-2003, 09:30 PM
Scott, I am absolutely flabbergasted and like fookie, totally intimidated. WOW!!!! Dead on!!! Did you draw this free hand???
Uschi

Mary Ann I like your caricature too!!!!
Uschi

Srettig
05-10-2003, 09:36 PM
Uschi ,

Free hand? yes, I'm ok at pencil drawing. Its Watercolor thats giving me a run for the money. Still very fun though.

Thank you for the comment. Its very nice to hear.

scott

lyn lynch
05-10-2003, 09:57 PM
Well, Scott! I could do that in pencil, too. LMAO and exclaming Ah-HA! as I run through the house waving my wooden leg, and certain that Pampe will not understand that either.

OK, I'm in. But don't expect it done real soon. I keep pushing other stuff back and then rushing through. Love MA's characterization--that should be the Project icon!

Yes, Scott, you have to do a watercolor. LOl

CharM
05-11-2003, 12:18 AM
ROFLOL... Count me in too... I can't promise that I'll get to it right away and it looks like we have some pretty stiff competition heating up!!!

mchew
05-11-2003, 03:33 AM
OMIGOSH!!! SCOTT!! That is WONDERFUL!! You've got my likeness spot on! eyes, nose, crooked teeth showing, ear lobes,... EVERYTHING!!... and all this with FREE HAND? Wow! You're very good!! But why didn't you adjust my glasses?... lol

I think I need to trim my hair now... especially the sideburns... lol

Mary Ann... your caricatures looks good too...

wife and I had a good laugh went we woke up this morning... :D... thank you all! :D :) :p

coffee_girl3000
05-11-2003, 06:49 AM
Seems project thread isn't up yet so will put this here. Not worthy of being put in same category as Scott's portrait! So we'll call it a 3 minute sketch. Will get painting soon.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2003/12307-marvin1.jpg

painterbear
05-11-2003, 06:50 AM
"In for a penny, in for a pound" as someone once said. Who knows what it means? Fookie isn't the only cryptic one around, y'a know. :cool:

I've never done a portrait so I might as well try with Marvin. Count me in too.

mchew
05-11-2003, 07:05 AM
SARAH, well done... you got the likeness too! I like your 3 minute sketch.

Here's another pic taken about 2 years ago at a company dinner... I have short and spiky hair then...LOL

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2003/14541-spiky_hair.jpg

mchew
05-11-2003, 08:00 AM
Here's one taken 5 years ago during my graduation at Otago University, New Zealand.

See how skinny I was... and no glasses yet.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2003/14541-otago_graduation.jpg

M.A.
05-11-2003, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by mchew
Here's one taken 5 years ago during my graduation at Otago University, New Zealand.

See how skinny I was... and no glasses yet.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2003/14541-otago_graduation.jpg

Oh my gosh, this is toooo cute!!!

mchew
05-11-2003, 08:14 AM
I guess I look too young for my age... I'm in my late 20s... approaching 30 but they are still people who mistakenly took me for a teenager... especially when I was cleanly shaven. LOL

Just last week, I went to Burger King and they had a promotional offer for students who produce their student ID card... and the lady behind the counter asked if I am a student...LOL Gosh! I didn't know what to say!!

coffee_girl3000
05-11-2003, 08:21 AM
LOL Marvin...the stubble etc makes you look older, you look much younger in the Company Dinner photo.

Anyway, here's what I've done for the last hour. Wasn't intending it, but I kept it simple, used just New Gamboge, Aliz. Crimson, Ult. Blue and Burnt Umber. Colours not quite true to RL but close enough.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2003/12307-marvin.jpg

surreal
05-11-2003, 09:58 AM
What a wonderful thread.

Marvin,

It has been great to see all of these photos of you.
Somewhat biographical!
:D

Also, so nice to see the portraits of you by the Watercolor Forum crew!!!

:D :cat: :D

Srettig
05-11-2003, 11:08 AM
Hi Marvin,

What a surprise huh? This might just be your 15 minutes of fame.

Well, anyway I'm glad you like it. It was fun to do.

I can send it to you if you or your wife would like it. Maybe your Mom would like it since itís mothers day today.

Or I can put it on Ebay. (ha) just kidding.

Scott

mchew
05-11-2003, 01:17 PM
Sarah... great job... but I have never had a beard yet... :D

Nina... I was searching for your photo in wetcanvas, on your website... on your eBay pages... to draw with the rest of the gang... but nope... nothing found. :)

Scott... thank you so much... I would offer to pay for the shipping cost... ;)

Gilberte
05-11-2003, 01:25 PM
Now Marvin ... you are really getting FAMOUS !

mchew
05-11-2003, 01:28 PM
Oh Boy! I'm getting a bit embarrassed of all this attention... :o

woodsyl
05-11-2003, 03:17 PM
It is quite heart warming to watch this thread. First, Marvin spends his time and energy and talent delighting us with pictures of ourselves. Then, he gets the most beautiful paintings of himself from others.

Another example of "what goes around comes around". Giving FROM Marvin turned into giving TO Marvin.

It's wonderful!

Sylvi

babybrush
05-12-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by mchew
Oh Boy! I'm getting a bit embarrassed of all this attention... :o

oh no you're not!! you are such an attention grabber. the true Marvin has been revealed and you are eating it up.

love the graduation pics. my brother's ears used to do that, LOL.

Bethany

M.A.
05-15-2003, 06:43 PM
Update: I submitted the Marvin's Portrait project last week but it hasen't made it through the que yet. I've got three char-kole skeches I did last week of him but they're all smeared now, probably should have scanned them sooner, for now it's just practice. Looking forward to the project though.