PDA

View Full Version : Please critique!

artmom
05-10-2003, 03:10 PM
Smoky Mountain Vista

Amalgam of memories Please comment or critique! Thanks for looking:)

9 1/2 x 14 1/2 Arches 300 lb CP WN

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2003/11722-Cove_and_church_final.jpg

Uschi
05-10-2003, 03:14 PM
Well, if I type fast I'll be the first one to reply!!!!

I like it a lot Lyn, has a lovely moody feel to it, especially love the mountain rainge in the background.
Good work!!!!!!
Uschi

lyn lynch
05-10-2003, 03:17 PM
I agree w/Uschi.

pampe
05-10-2003, 03:20 PM
lovely work, lyn

I, too like tha BG and the foreground

IMHO the middle ground needs something

the little round trees are too alike, I think

and somehow that green (though a beautiful shade) seems wrong...check the values, maybe?????

Olga
05-10-2003, 03:26 PM
What a pretty view, Lyn. Very pleasant colors, too...
I know it is a misty panorama and you would not get much value differences, but I still think the there would be more difference in values between the foreground, the middle ground and the background. I did a greyscale...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2003/7629-11722-Cove_and_church_grey.jpg

Another tiny nitpick: I like the church as a tiny focal point, but I think the tree behind it is too even...

I do like the atmosphere... makes me think back to the time we lived in VA.

Olga

Kate Mc
05-10-2003, 03:30 PM
Lyn,

I like it too. Where is it?? It looks like Cade's cove to me!

I think you've captured the moodiness of that area very well. It reminds me of my UT days. However, I'd like to see the church a little BIGGER. And I agree that the tree behind it is too regular.

Thanks for sharing it with us. It makes me a little homesick.

Kate

tigre255
05-10-2003, 03:40 PM
I like it also, but have no idea what needs to be done to it........sorry......

artmom
05-10-2003, 03:42 PM
Thanks, Uschi and Fookie.
Thanks, Pam and Olga, for suggestions. I'll see what I can do.

Originally posted by Ban Sidhe
Lyn,

I like it too. Where is it?? It looks like Cade's cove to me!

I think you've captured the moodiness of that area very well. It reminds me of my UT days. However, I'd like to see the church a little BIGGER. And I agree that the tree behind it is too regular.

Thanks for sharing it with us. It makes me a little homesick.

Kate

Kate, it's not Cades Cove, but is inspired by it. I live 30 minutes from the cove and we visited last Sunday. Here's a pic from there!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2003/11722-Cades_Cove_Mountains.jpg

capricorne
05-10-2003, 03:43 PM
This is very special, the branches on the left makes me aware of the viewer who looks in the landscape..
I think the painting can be improved by adding something in the mid-ground that catch the eye. The little white thing is a bit to small in my view. Very atmosferic painting!
Jan

Kate Mc
05-10-2003, 03:57 PM
Lyn,

WAAAHHHH!!! I LOVE Cade's Cove!! Once when I was at UT, I went motorcycle riding with a guy I was dating and we went around the Cade's Cove loop. Well, we ran out of gas halfway around. Since it's one way, we had to walk to get gas and then carry it all the way around the other way. By the time we got back to the motorcycle, the relationship was pretty much out of gas too.....

Got any more??? I can trade you some castles!!

Kate

al22
05-10-2003, 05:02 PM
I played with this one for a while in PS and came to the conclusion that I like it just as it is....... a nice, peaceful, pastoral scene.
Well done, lyn....
.....al

artmom
05-10-2003, 05:36 PM
Thanks, Barb, Jan--BTW, the little white thing is a small country church.

Thanks, Al.:D

Pam, et al--I put in some of our native cedars to break up the roundness of the trees and toned down the green in the field behind the church. I'd post a pic, but DH is gone with digi camera.

Other than that, I'm pretty satisfied with the way it turned out. Pretty much what I had in my head. LOL

Thanks for looking and commenting!

Paul Hopkinson
05-10-2003, 05:46 PM
Nice work Lyn, by placing the branches in the foreground you have really set the mountains back. I feel I need to get my binoculars out!

Paul

CharM
05-10-2003, 05:58 PM
Lyn, what a fantastic job you did! The only thing that bothered me was the tree behind the church... You've change that, so now I look forward to seeing your improvements... What a beautiful, peaceful place!!!

yahooserious
05-10-2003, 10:15 PM
Love this painting. Love the smoky mountains...Want to go back...:crying:

Emilie

Bill J
05-11-2003, 12:22 AM
Lyn I like it just the way it is. To many times we start changing and loose it. When I first looked at it I knew the country. My suggestion is take all these comments and do another picture and incorporate them -now compare the 2 pictures.
bill

painterbear
05-11-2003, 07:06 AM
Lyn,

I really like how you got the smokey look in the Smokey Mountains off in the distance. Nice variation in color and depth of hue.

You did a great job in directing the eye to the little white church in the valley.

I think the foreground grasses could be a little taller, but that is a small nit to pick.

I like Bill's suggestion to leave this one as is, it is very nice, and paint a second one with all the suggestions and see which one you like best.

tunna
05-11-2003, 09:23 AM
I was going to suggest putting something else in the foreground,
but having viewed it a few times I think the starkness of the foreground helps the mountains in the distance.
regards tunna.

artmom
05-11-2003, 09:37 AM
Paul and Char, thanks for looking and commenting!

Emilie, come visit us!

Bill, and Painterbear, I changed this one a little and I think I should have done what you suggested instead!:(

Thanks, Tunna--I looked at this a long time, too, and came to same conclusion! LOL

Something very interesting--I tried changing the tree behind the church, but the image in my mind won't change--so I lifted the change out and left it as is--once it's in my head, it's there, I guess! ROFLOL

I appreciate everyone taking the time to look and comment and critique. I learn so much every time I post!!:D

CharM
05-11-2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by artmom

Something very interesting--I tried changing the tree behind the church, but the image in my mind won't change--so I lifted the change out and left it as is--once it's in my head, it's there, I guess! ROFLOL

...and in the end, that's what's important!! After all is said and done, it is you who must be satisfied with your painting... Which is lovely just as it is BTW...

Now... enjoy the darn thing!!!!!

gealflings
05-11-2003, 07:15 PM
(keep in mind that I know absolutely NOTHING about painting landscapes, so please bear with me as I stumble through my admiration.. lol)

I really like those spindly little tree branches in the foreground; there's just an aesthetic to them that is really pleasing to me. The whole thing just has a sort of dreamy quality, as if you are painting A memory, rather than from memory. It's really beautiful... Now I'm done trying to be articulate.. LOL

Clasje
05-11-2003, 08:01 PM
Hi Lyn, I love the dreamlike atmosphere you created here.
Lovely background and the tree branches to the left really enhance the overall picture.

Clasje :)

Strawberry Wine
05-11-2003, 08:25 PM
LYn: Your painting is lovely. You have captured the distant feeling of the mountains merging into the sky. The tree branches in the foreground also enhance the distance.

My only critique is I wish the church was just a tad bigger and as Pam said the trees are just a bit too uniform in shape and height.

I like Bill's advice and do another and compare.

Gealflings wrote:
The whole thing just has a sort of dreamy quality, as if you are painting A memory, rather than from memory.

Perfect!!!!!!

Gail :)

Little Old Lady
05-11-2003, 08:32 PM
I like the misty dreamy quality of it a lot.
JoAnn

artmom
05-11-2003, 08:36 PM
Char, Okay!:D

gealflings, Yes! a memory, not from memory!

Clasje, thanks!

Gail, thanks--I'm glad I conveyed the feeling of distance!

Again, all, thanks for looking and commenting.:)

Annetta
05-11-2003, 08:41 PM
Well Syl, I think you've gotten great advice here regarding size of Church and trees. I think you've done a wonderful job at capturing the 'feel' and "mood" of this area. I'm no expert at landscapes, but know when I like what I see :D :clap: :clap:

taghera
05-11-2003, 08:56 PM
It looks good to me...:)

artmom
05-11-2003, 09:18 PM
Annetta and Tag, thanks!

Please vote at Smoky Mountain View -- Final and Poll

I've revised a little of the painting and I'd like you to choose your favorite version!!

Thanks!

vestalqueen
05-12-2003, 09:13 AM
Lyn, it's lovely! I have to agree about the symmetry of the tree behind the church, but it looks just like the area! And you captured that "spring green" thing - it does look a bit strange around here when the foliage comes out and there's still dead stuff, too.

That really reminds me of Townsend. Now I'm wishing I was there instead of here.

Okay - you have no excuse now. More, please.

Erin;)

artmom
05-12-2003, 02:00 PM
Thanks, Erin!

Note: I had posted a poll to let me know which version of my Smoky Mountain View painting Washers liked. Thanks to those who responded. I asked Rod to remove it, as I realized it was wasting folk's time to ask them to choose between a digital image of the original and a (lousy) scanned image of the revised painting. This issue has been deep-sixed!! LOL