PDA

View Full Version : Soft Orange Poppies

Nitsa
05-10-2003, 11:46 AM
I have painted red/orange poppies before in a strong, vibrant fashion but not in a soft, papery style. Yesterday I did a small painting approx 7x4" and managed to achieve the softness I was after. (This is a simple study that took me around 20 minutes)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2003/18769-ORANGEPAPERPOPPY.JPG

So now I have started a larger painting (10x14).
I am working from some silk flowers that are positioned near my window, ( I had to imagine the buds as I have none!)
I can see this being achallenge for me 'cos I am prone to detail, the quickness of my study contributed alot to the style I achieved..I may have to give myself a time allocation on each bloom to avoid that detail bug!
Only problem is that the light that inspired me yesterday has now been replaced with rain clouds and a grey sky :(
I'm not sure I am patient enough to wait another day to work on this, I may have to imagine the light! :rolleyes:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2003/18769-1-SOFTPOPPIES.JPG

***There is NO purple in the backgroun, it is all shades of the blue and green you see...I have no idea where the purple on the top left came from! LOL!....My digi has a mind of it's own!

coffee_girl3000
05-10-2003, 11:51 AM
Good start. I have a few points, hope you don't mind :). Would like to see a stem going down to the bottom. Floating doesn't really work for me. Also, I like the purple the digi put in! Perhaps you could add some. Finally, I think the buds could be a touch bigger. Seem small for the size of the opened flower. Mind you I haven't seen poppies for a while, cannot remember anything about size of buds.

Jprice022
05-10-2003, 11:53 AM
I like the study Nitsa. Are you going to have any stems below the flowers in the second painting?

Nitsa
05-10-2003, 11:58 AM
Thanx for your comments!
I have checked proportion of buds with real poppies growing in the yard and I make them right! :)

In the corner where the purple is showing it is actually a very pale blue...This is where my light source will be situated and I think adding purple will make it appear more shaded, which wouldn't work. When I am nearing the end, I'll see if the bottom of the background needs darks and then use some there! ;)

I do see your point with the stems.....Just wondering if I can do anything about it now??....I'll have a look and see, it's on aquarelle so it should be ok!

Thanx again!

Nitsa
05-10-2003, 12:00 PM
Sorry John, crossposted.....I agree some stems are needed....I'm working on it! ;)
Thanx!

lyn lynch
05-10-2003, 12:26 PM
Interesting how I do not really see purple in the b/g. The b/g looks great. If you have adversit to stems, you could make this an aerial perspective-type when you shade, as though in a water pond environment. This actual layout for larger? I don't see need for buds in all directions, esp. so little and close to paper ends, like they were squeezed in; imo they are not adding to the comp. IRL may be this size but they draw negative attention, as Sarah said.

Gilberte
05-10-2003, 12:40 PM
Excellent background on your second image !

artmom
05-10-2003, 01:33 PM
I really like the papery quality of your first poppy!

On your larger painting, I have to agree with Fookie--the buds on each side just make the composition busy and you don't need them.

Watching to see how you finish this!

Lyn

Annetta
05-10-2003, 01:39 PM
....looking good Anita! Loving the background and what you've done so far. Will be watching/checking back in!! :)

Nitsa
05-10-2003, 03:44 PM
TY Gilberte and Annetta!
Fookie and Lyn...I agree!...The bud on the RHS is not really required and mirrors the left one all too well, which looks a tad tacky!....Next time eh!

Managed to add a few stems!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2003/18769-2-softpoppies.JPG

I'm having difficulty keeping the poppies papery, I think if I did this again I would deffo add the background AFTER, I liked the way the ends of my blooms looked bitten on the first small study and this is really hard to achieve once the background is in 'cos I tend to lash out with my brush and pick up b/g colour.
PLEASE shout if you see me loosing too much softness!
*Sorry about the photo quality ....past my digi's bedtime! :(

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2003/18769-3-SOFTPOPPIES.JPG

CharM
05-10-2003, 08:19 PM
Anita, your first study is beautiful! Your second one is coming along... Unfortunately, I agree with the others that the buds are distracting... I'm sure that when you get closer to finishing they will look fine... Honestly, this composition is worth doing again... without so many buds ... I look forward to your next steps...

froggee501
05-10-2003, 10:22 PM
I think that once the bottom flower (two overlapping flowers?) is(are?) done, then the buds won't steal the attention anymore... just my thought on it...

oh yeah, and "hi". :)

Aselka
05-10-2003, 11:19 PM
I like poppies but composition is a bit too geometrical for me because of buds. I like the first painting, which has your distictive style.

Aselka

Nitsa
05-11-2003, 06:17 AM
TY Char, Froggee and Aselka!
That compostion is really bothering me now, so much so that I had contemplated filing it in the bin......Before making that decision I played around with a few mounts and came up with this......What do you think????????.....Could this save it maybe?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2003/18769-cut-softpoppy.JPG

I think it makes something rather nice out of something that was never going to quite work.......Opinions PLEASE!

CharM
05-11-2003, 07:27 AM
Anita... it was never "lost"... Don't do anything drastic until you finish the main flower blooms... Once they're complete, they may command our attention... It's just that this isn't exactly what you intended. But, that's the interesting thing about painting... Paintings kind of develop on their own... Keep going...

Olga
05-11-2003, 08:39 AM
I agree with Char--keep going, finish the flowers and then see if you need a crop. Your is nice, but I think there are other, less drastic possibilities (e.g. only one of the buds needs to go to make it less symmetrical...like the one on the right)

Anyway--I like the colors and I think it's going to be a keeper so DON"T GIVE UP!

Olga

Gilberte
05-11-2003, 12:25 PM
I agree with CharM ... a painting develops itself sometimes !
The oval mat looks really nice.