PDA

View Full Version : Magpie in P&I

Jakeally
05-10-2003, 10:08 AM
Hi....... I just posted this in the P&I forum and I thought you might like to see it too.
I am very proud of this one:D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2003/4535-Magpie_Fin.jpg
As usual...comments are more than welcome

Crias
05-10-2003, 10:17 AM
very nice! Great detail and I like the touch of color.

RachelG*
05-10-2003, 10:31 AM
WOW-this is great! the wings and tail look awesome!!!

She-She
05-10-2003, 11:47 AM
You should feel proud Chris. This is outstanding!! :clap:
I love the detail in the wings & tail feathers. That little bit of color adds to it to. You don't see many paintings or drawings of magpies, nicely done!!

echidna
05-10-2003, 12:36 PM
excellent feather detail! good work!
~Echidna

crazeejumper
05-10-2003, 01:56 PM
Gorgeous work!! The feathers are so intricate! :clap:

Jakeally
05-10-2003, 02:58 PM
Cathy, Rachel, Sheila, Echidna and Connie..... thank you so much for stopping by....I appreciate your comments so much:D :cat:

Paul Hopkinson
05-10-2003, 05:05 PM
From one brit to another "Corr blimey mate!" Seriously though this is very beautifully drawn. Did you use watercolour or coloured ink for the leaves?
Oh and Sheila, we are plagued with Magpies down here in Devon. What was it we say when we spot them, one for sorrow, two for joy, three for a girl and four for a boy, five for silver, six for gold, seven for a secret never to be told!:D Corr where did I remember that one from?:confused:

Paul

Suzy78
05-10-2003, 06:32 PM
I'd love to have this one!

Suzy

Margaret Dent
05-10-2003, 11:07 PM
As well you should be. It's incredible! I have utmost respect for P&I artists. The green leaves just fit perfectly.

Margaret.:clap: :clap:

She-She
05-11-2003, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by CraftyHopo
Oh and Sheila, we are plagued with Magpies down here in Devon. What was it we say when we spot them, one for sorrow, two for joy, three for a girl and four for a boy, five for silver, six for gold, seven for a secret never to be told!:D Corr where did I remember that one from?:confused:

Paul

I have never heard that saying before Paul. Not sure what it all means. We have plenty of these pesky birds here too. They are not well liked to say the least. I can't feed my dog outside because the magpies steal it. Sometimes they pester our horses as well. I will admit, they are pretty to look at. I love their coluoring. They are not "plane Jane" like the crow.

Jakeally
05-11-2003, 02:47 AM
Hi! Paul....not only another Brit but a Devonian one at that:D
and I remember that program very well.
The leaves are done in watercolour.

LOL...Sorry Suzy....my hubby has already nabbed it:D

Thankyou so much Margaret:D

Yes they can be a bit of a pest Sheila.... the farmers shoot them here....but I love to look at them:)

Nynna
05-11-2003, 03:41 AM
:clap: Chris, that is a stunning piece of work. Congratulations.

M.A.
05-11-2003, 06:00 AM
Excellent!!!
:clap:

Paul Hopkinson
05-11-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by She-She

I have never heard that saying before Paul. Not sure what it all means. We have plenty of these pesky birds here too. They are not well liked to say the least. I can't feed my dog outside because the magpies steal it. Sometimes they pester our horses as well. I will admit, they are pretty to look at. I love their coluoring. They are not "plane Jane" like the crow. Jakeally would probably tell you the same thing. The ryme is something we have always said here, it's supposed to be for good luck or something. Whenever you see a Magpie say it's two at once then you will think of joy, you see four then you will think of a boy and so on. Yep I know its silly but it is fun with the children!

Paul

She-She
05-11-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by CraftyHopo
Jakeally would probably tell you the same thing. The ryme is something we have always said here, it's supposed to be for good luck or something. Whenever you see a Magpie say it's two at once then you will think of joy, you see four then you will think of a boy and so on. Yep I know its silly but it is fun with the children!

Paul

Ah, I catch on now. :D Thanks Paul. :D

els
05-12-2003, 02:57 PM
It turned out greatly Chris... Love it!

Arcanjo
05-12-2003, 05:40 PM
:clap: :clap: Jakeally this is an excellent picture.... I am green of envy LOL!Spectacular!

MJ

Elven Prince
05-12-2003, 08:41 PM
Beautigul picture Jakeally!!:clap: ((You wouldn't happen to like Audubon would you?)) lol He's one of my favorites. The feathers are very well done! Wonderful detail!!:clap:

kayek
05-13-2003, 12:28 AM
Fantastic detail! Very nice!
Kaye

Sher
05-13-2003, 01:45 AM
You should be proud of this one! It's sooo real!!!!

Jakeally
05-13-2003, 05:01 AM
Wow....thanks everyone for your very encouraging comments:D
LOL....detail yes.....I keep trying to fight it off and get looser but the more I try the more detailed I seem to become. I think I will just give in to it now:D

Elven Prince....Audubon??????:rolleyes: :D

cpart
05-13-2003, 08:53 AM
Amazing picture, its great.

I've never done any pen and ink, but looking at your picture I'm starting to get inspired to have a go.

What paper do you use? What type of pen and inks do you use? (sorry if these seem dumb questions).

To the other Brits, did you watch Magpie in the 70's? (ITVs version of Blue Peter).

Great picture

Stu

Jakeally
05-13-2003, 10:50 AM
Hi Stu....Thank you....glad you like it.
I used Fabriano Artistico HP Watercolour paper 140lb for this one. Any HP paper is good for Pen and ink.
I have a mix of pens..Faber-Castell Pitt artist pens, Pilot Drawing pens and Rotring Graphic pens all of which come in several sizes. I used 0.1 and 0.3 and the brush pen for this picture.
You can buy all these at most Art shops in the UK.
Check out the articles in the P&I forum for much more info:cat:

I used to enjoy Magpie with my children....it was a big favourite with them:D

cpart
05-13-2003, 10:58 AM
Jakeally - Thanks for the info, much appreciated:p

Elven Prince
05-13-2003, 12:58 PM
Sorry, I didn't see your country flag!:p John James Audubon was an American painter. (and a very good one at that) He painted mostly birds, and your magpie reminded me of one of his paintings. There has been a society named after him for the conservation of birds and all wildlife. (If you want to visit it click here (http://www.audubon.org/) ) up in the upper right hand corner there is a link that says "About Audubon" if you click it, another page will come up with some links to the left. The link that says "John James Audubon" (7th down) has his biography. :D

Jakeally
05-13-2003, 01:19 PM
Thank you so much for the link Elven Prince,..... I hadn't heard of Audubon before...... obviously a lack in my education:D
I love his art....I am off to do some more research now:cat:

Elven Prince
05-13-2003, 04:58 PM
No problem Jakeally! Audubon is one of my favorites! And I doubt that you havent heard of him because of un-education! He's mostly known in America.:cat: