PDA

View Full Version : PASTEL RIOT - Week 5/11 - 5/17

Kathryn Wilson
05-10-2003, 08:24 AM
This week I have the honor of offering 3 subjects for the Pastel Riot for the Week of 5/11 through 5/17. There were so many great pics in the Reference Library, I had a hard time chosing.

As quoted before from a previous post: "this is about seeing the different interpretations of styles, choices of colours, technique, paper etc. The main thing is to enjoy what you do ...... open to anyone and everyone who wants to participate, only stipulation is that it is in 'pastels'..."

Try something differenct: oil pastels or pastel pencils!

This one looked like an interesting project: glass -

http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/data/61/9879dsc01127-med.jpg

This almost looked like a painting to me, what is your interpretation:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/data/46/13900brightjacksonpond500.jpg

And, finally, one of my favorite subjects, the American Southwest adobe:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/data/74/0Mvc-397f-med.jpg

Have fun, y'all

E-J
05-10-2003, 10:16 AM
Great choices, Kat! :)

oramasha
05-10-2003, 10:19 AM
these are great choices. i hopefully will be posting my first pastel in this thread. one question: how do you get smooth textures w/out blending pastel, i.e. with the marble? is blending a no-no? maybe i'll just take the Nike approach. . and just do it.. :)

Dark_Shades
05-10-2003, 11:45 AM
nice choices Kyle..... infact lol the top two I had sorted out for when I did the riot

...... that landscape is so pretty isnt it

Dark_Shades
05-10-2003, 11:47 AM
....... the other stipulation is......... that the first one to post their painting opens up the following weeks thread, and chooses upto 3 ref photos

E-J
05-10-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by oramasha
how do you get smooth textures w/out blending pastel, i.e. with the marble? is blending a no-no?

oramasha, if it's your first pastel, 'just do it' is definitely the best approach! Just have some fun. You should get something resembling your subject, whatever its texture, whether it is smooth, shiny, rough or knobbly, if you set out to paint exactly the areas of colour that you see. If you find you need to get a smoother look, then blend gently with fingers [I won't tell :D] ~ alternatively, if you have hard pastels, rubbing them over the colours beneath can blend quite effectively. Or you can use those rubber-tipped 'Colour Shapers' if you have them.

Look forward to seeing your pastels! :)

Kathryn Wilson
05-10-2003, 01:04 PM
Dark: Oh, darn, did I pick photos that have been used already. If I have, I can change them out quickly. And thanks for the reminder of who gets to do the Riot next - should I edit my post to include?

Oramasha: The colour shapers are the way to go for sharp edges and smooth colors. If you do a search, there is a thread that has pics and a discussion on colour shapers.

Dark_Shades
05-10-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by kyle
Dark: Oh, darn, did I pick photos that have been used already. If I have, I can change them out quickly. And thanks for the reminder of who gets to do the Riot next - should I edit my post to include?

Oramasha: The colour shapers are the way to go for sharp edges and smooth colors. If you do a search, there is a thread that has pics and a discussion on colour shapers.

No, no no :) ..... No, you didnt pick ones already used before..... was just commenting on your good choice :), they were two of the selection I had picked..... but I went onto finally settle for something else

Kathryn Wilson
05-10-2003, 02:22 PM
Can I participate in the Pastel Riot even though I am kinda the moderator?

E-J
05-10-2003, 02:30 PM
LOL Kat ~ nope, as thread starter you're the only one who's not allowed to have any fun!! :) I'm joking... jump right in if you're feeling inspired. Hmmm... I have NO idea what happens if you're the first to post your painting again this week... keep doing that and you'll end up starting the pastel riot every week :D

angeline
05-10-2003, 02:55 PM
OOOhhhhhhhh I love that second piccy........will have to have a go at that me thinks.............off to work in a bit........get some pasteling done.......lol

Kathryn Wilson
05-10-2003, 03:26 PM
this time around. Need to work on my Pastel Month of May Project and finish it up. I don't mind picking out pics for the Riot, it was fun!

sundiver
05-10-2003, 03:51 PM
Great images, Kat! Thanks.

these are great choices. i hopefully will be posting my first pastel in this thread. one question: how do you get smooth textures w/out blending pastel, i.e. with the marble? is blending a no-no? maybe i'll just take the Nike approach. . and just do it.. :)

Blending is not a no-no! Pastels are a versitile medium; blend a little, blend a lot, don't blend, try one of each, underpaint, don't underpaint, whatever you want.
Enjoy! (That's a yes-yes!)

Craig Houghton
05-10-2003, 08:01 PM
k Here goes

rembrandt and sennellier on colourfix primer 1.5 hrs

comments welcome, i'm a newbie really - oh btw that's supposed to be the stucco ;)

-Craig

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2003/21273-stucco.jpg

bnoonan
05-10-2003, 08:14 PM
Wow Craig, You didn't waste a moment of time did you? I just opened up this thread and alas - there was already a painting.

Beautiful job and yes it does look like stucco and wow only 1.5 hours!!! Double WoW..

Just great - I'd only recommend darkening the lights in the window panes just a tiny bit to be less distracting.

You amaze me!!! (Love your choice of greens in the grass in the foreground. They sing!)

Barb

Kathryn Wilson
05-10-2003, 08:22 PM
Wow, I thought it was the photo at first. Way to go Craig! Great color and the building is right on. I agree with Barb - soften those window panes a bit, BUT don't touch another thing.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

BTW - keep eye on the May Pastel Project - you might want to try you hand at those photos - wonderful subject matter. And, you have a whole month to finish - LOL

Craig Houghton
05-10-2003, 09:14 PM
I can see what you mean with the window - i think i was enamored by the possibility of having a reflection there at all :) i toned it back while using it as an opportunity to give the impression of a land and sky horizon thing in the reflection, but generally darker like a dirty old window :)

i took a quick pic of it, but things are brighter in rl

thank you for the comments!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2003/21273-stucco2.jpg

i just need to figure out what to do about the door.. it's all cartoony :P

bnoonan
05-10-2003, 09:30 PM
Craig - I love seeing people's work stations. What totally amazes me is the fact that you still have the wrappings on your pastel sticks. I swear I get them home, rip off the end that doesn't have the "name" on it and break them in half. that way I can use the sides and not the ends. Isn't it funny how we all approach things.

Once again, nice job.

Barb

Kathryn Wilson
05-10-2003, 09:50 PM
Craig: I just compared the door in the photo with your door - the one in the photo is a little darker and I don't think the blue is as pronounced.

Did you use black Colourfix as your background? I love working on black or dark blue.

After seeing your station, I don't feel so bad - LOL. On other threads, I have read about some very organized pastelists. I want to take some time and get my colors at least straightened around again - they are all a mish-mosh.

:cat:

oramasha
05-11-2003, 12:18 AM
This is so terrible, lol. . but, I said I would post. It is my first landscape and pastel. The more I worked on it, the worse it became. It scares me! I obviously had no idea what I was doing w/ anything! It's all Nupastel (96 colors felt like 10) on blue Canson.

Craig Houghton
05-11-2003, 03:23 AM
yep, that's black colourfix - and yeah everything's all mixed up with mine, though i have a side table where i keep most of my pastels, and the rembrants are mostly organized by shade on that - mostly :P

oramasha - great job! you do yourself a great injustice by saying all that - I love it! :)

-Craig

E-J
05-11-2003, 05:16 AM
Craig, beautiful job! I would leave it as it is ... you say you're new to pastels? It really doesn't show ... this is super :clap:

oramasha, this is an excellent first pastel. I like the kind of marks you've made: those little 'clumps' of lines give it a lot of character. Because Nupastels are hard pastels I find they're great for blending colours into each other but it's not so easy to get one colour to lie on top of another ~ for highlights and bright colours, I find I can't do without soft pastels. You have achieved vibrant results with your Nupastels so you should be very pleased :)

Dark_Shades
05-11-2003, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by Craig Houghton
k Here goes

rembrandt and sennellier on colourfix primer 1.5 hrs

comments welcome, i'm a newbie really - oh btw that's supposed to be the stucco ;)

-Craig

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2003/21273-stucco.jpg

.... great works Craig...... dont forget now you have the honour :) of starting next weeks Riot

Dark_Shades
05-11-2003, 07:07 AM
This is so terrible, lol. . but, I said I would post. It is my first landscape and pastel. The more I worked on it, the worse it became. It scares me! I obviously had no idea what I was doing w/ anything! It's all Nupastel (96 colors felt like 10) on blue Canson.

Oramasha...... I think this is really good and love the foreground grasses and colours

... ohhh and I believe if you use the uploader (top of page right) for your photos... if someone wants to comment on your work when they hit quote..... it will take your comments and also include the photo that way

... great start :) ... Ha! had to laugh at your 96 nupastels.. felt like 10 ....... I know that feeling hee hee

Kathryn Wilson
05-11-2003, 07:19 AM

I think this was a great first try at pastels and landscape - the main thing is did you have fun? Did you like the instant color and the brilliance of the pure color. That's what gets everyone hooked on pastels. Your colors are very true and go well together. I especially like the middle door that you did - good job!

:clap:

oramasha
05-11-2003, 08:50 AM
-Craig-- I was so embarrassed to follow you, I forgot to comment on your piece!! I'm glad you posted the same pic, so I know what to work towards! I love your range of values and how they all work harmoniously together. The black colourfix is cool!

-EJ--Thanks for your kind comments. You're right about Nupastels. I just wanted to experiment to see if I liked pastels before I invest in an entire set of Rembrandts and some super-softies. :)

-Dark Shades-- I tried to use the uploader FIRST, and the system said it saved my file to a "clipboard" but then when I went to this forum and thread, I couldn't figure out what the heck to do! I also tried to delete my entire post, but the system wouldn't let me do that either!!! LOL!

-Kyle-- On fun.. .remember that feeling right before a blind or first date? I'm giving pastels a second date, but I can't say it was love at first sight. Mostly, because I was just challenged by simply drawing, learning about values, temps, how to use the sticks, etc. It felt WONDERFUl to feel challenged, even if I don't dig the results. Btw-- an adobe is my dream house!

Kathryn Wilson
05-11-2003, 12:38 PM
Oramasha: You shouldn't be embarrassed about your work! Your strokes in the trees and the foreground grasses are excellent. It just takes practice and time and the right materials that make you feel comfortable when you work.

Keep posting your work! Try the second photo - you can get real impressionistic with that one. We're all here to learn and help each other.

I love adobe's - their color, their form, the blue door and window frames. Great subject and a dream home for me too.

bnoonan
05-11-2003, 01:08 PM
Oramasha - Please give yourself more credit - you deserve it. We've all had to start out with new medium at one time or another and this piece is great!!!

When I first started pastels I had 30 nupastels and struggled. I think you may find the more familiar you are with your set of colors, their capacity and the medium, you will soar!!!

Nice work.

Barb

Dark_Shades
05-11-2003, 02:31 PM
Just wanted to show I am participating in this thread :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2003/12116-Marbles.jpg

.... started last night and along way to go

E-J
05-11-2003, 02:36 PM
hey Dawn, this is going to be super ~ that big old marble on the right already looks lovely and glassy and round. This photo has been tackled many times but I can't recall seeing a version on black paper ... till now :)

Kathryn Wilson
05-11-2003, 02:37 PM
DS - but a good start - should be a good challenge to get those luminous colors and yet stay transparent. Makes one think about how you see objects.

:clap: :clap:

guilliame
05-11-2003, 03:23 PM
Hey DS,i am soooo glad someone had a go at the marbles,and its looking good,well done so far,iv'e had a go at the other 2:D
Craig 1hr 30,looked like this came right off the bat,knocked it for six well done,i get the feeling of a hot day and i really like the sky thro the trees and the foreground grass is excellent:clap:
oramasher,hi this is really good for a 1st pastel and you have some nice pastel strokes working for you in this painting,well done.

Well i skipped past the marbles pretty quick but stopped at the 2nd and i thought i have just got to try this one,the only thing was that it was 50% foliage and 5o% water so i lengthened the reflections and the water,size is only 6x5 inches,iv'e put the ref pic into favs as i might try to do it again only bigger:D

guilliame
05-11-2003, 03:31 PM
I think it was meatloaf who sang 2outa 3 aint bad and you all know its not gojng to be the marbles:D

Kathryn Wilson
05-11-2003, 04:10 PM
LOL, guilliame - chicken, huh! I put the marbles in for the challenge, the landscape for some good impressionist practice, and a building with color for some fun.

I like what you did with the landscape -it's fun copying a photo, but to change it for the better is the real challenge. Good going!

The adobe looks like it is baking in the sun - hot and dry.

I am so glad people are having fun with this photos. Now that I am done with the May Project, I want to work on one of these too!

Hope you all can take some time to join the great projects going on for the May Project - wonderful subject matter that is very different from what we usually do. Great fun!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Dark_Shades
05-11-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by guilliame
I think it was meatloaf who sang 2outa 3 aint bad and you all know its not gojng to be the marbles:D

ohhhh youre pic didnt load with the quote :(

.... hey Guilly..... I really like this....... those oranges are really wonderful ..... I think everyones are whose done this pic ........ Id love to try it myself too ......well if I dont lose my marbles ha ha ha

... good works Guilly, and for the other one too ..... Id come across that ref pic before and had a go ..... well you know the result of that one....... as no one has seen it hee hee .......
The adobe one...... I think thats the most Ive ever seen you cover the paper....... and I like it alot ...... did you enjoy doing it

Dark_Shades
05-11-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by kyle

I am so glad people are having fun with this photos. Now that I am done with the May Project, I want to work on one of these too!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Ohhhhhh Kyle...... sorry no one mentioned it before..... though you host the thread this week........... tis law .... that you have to do one yourself :D :)

sundiver
05-11-2003, 05:30 PM
Craig, guilaimme, and oramasha, those are great landscapes, and Dawn, black paper-wow!

It is my first landscape and pastel. .. It scares me! I obviously had no idea what I was doing w/ anything!

Oramasha, welcome to the "I Have No Idea What I'm Doing Club"! :D You don't have to be a newbie to belong, lol, I hang out in the clubhouse a lot! Here's an example
oil pastel 4x6
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2003/6393-pastelmarbles.jpg
These marbles will never roll off the table....
I don't know why I flipped the image before drawing it; it just felt uncomfortable. It must be some kind of deslexia thing!

Dark_Shades
05-11-2003, 05:38 PM
good works Wendy...... love how you flip the images and paint.... and you do this all soooooo fast :(

hey, your project is on the move again :D, have you seen?

E-J
05-11-2003, 06:41 PM
Wendy, great marbles! You often flip the image, don't you. Are you left-handed? Or perhaps it's about preferring a more 'open-ended' image rather than having the right-hand side blocked off as it was here by the largest marble ... hmm ... find this fascinating.

Mo.
05-11-2003, 08:22 PM
Well at last I've got here, great pic choice...those marbles fascinate me as a challenge.:D

I hope I can turn out one as good as Wendy and Dawn...great stuff both.. Dawn yours it not finished yet, so it will be interesting to see how soft compares to oil pastels

Craig, Guilli, and oramasha, super works all on the building, all differing techniques but all so good in their own rights. It's fascinating to see how as Dawn says 'different strokes for different folks' works here. :)

Think I'll give the marbles a try too :)

Cheers,
Mo.

Craig Houghton
05-11-2003, 11:00 PM
.... great works Craig...... dont forget now you have the honour of starting next weeks Riot

muhaha! really looking forward to it actually. this'll be a tough week to follow up, all the images are really top-notch

- I love your range of values and how they all work harmoniously together. The black colourfix is cool!

oramasha - I was really impressed by your post actually -- i'm going to try more stroke-work myself, it looks great. and yup, black colourfix is grade A stuff -- I have no intention of going back to naked paper :P.

Just wanted to show I am participating in this thread

i wanna give the marbles a try - they look like a good time. dark_shades that big marble is satiny luminous - nice.

sundiver - there's color spilling all over - I love it! the reference felt a bit cold, but you brought it to life

guilliame - i even envy yer signature :) - amazing light in the adobe and there's a lot to discover in that landscape - nicely interpreted!

this is going to be a tough week to follow :P

grr, i hate having essays due - i just want to try my hand at the marbles

-Craig

mhimeswc
05-12-2003, 01:09 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2003/20035-PastelMarbles.jpg

Am I crazy or what? When I first looked at the three photos I decided that they would be too hard, but I kept going back to them. At first I thought that the landscape would be the easiest, but I only know how to do apples and mushrooms. Okay, the marbles looked similar to apples. This took me about 2 hours. I can see lots of things that need improvement, and I forgot to put a highlight on one of the dark marbles. But I don't think it came out too bad. What do you think?

Michelle

E-J
05-12-2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by mhimeswc
I only know how to do apples and mushrooms. Okay, the marbles looked similar to apples.

LOL Michelle ... don't get your fruit and your marbles mixed up, you'll give yourself a belly ache :D

I think these are splendid marbles!

Dark_Shades
05-12-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by mhimeswc

Am I crazy or what? When I first looked at the three photos I decided that they would be too hard, but I kept going back to them. At first I thought that the landscape would be the easiest, but I only know how to do apples and mushrooms. Okay, the marbles looked similar to apples. This took me about 2 hours. I can see lots of things that need improvement, and I forgot to put a highlight on one of the dark marbles. But I don't think it came out too bad. What do you think?

Michelle

this turned out great mh .... im with you lol .... thought Oh I cant do landscapes... apart from apples...... though I really want to try the orange adobe.... they have all turned out brilliant ...... so thought Id plump for the easy one...... *coughs!! ... ahem!.... not as easy as it looks... (well to me that is :D)

bnoonan
05-12-2003, 11:21 AM
Shapes are shapes - remember that. If you think of eyes -vs- trees -vs- pears -vs- marbles, you get caught up in what you shouldn't.

As I keep telling myself.... shapes are what I am painting and don't get caught up in it being something else.

(Michelle - well done)

Barb

Kathryn Wilson
05-12-2003, 11:38 AM
Hi all: I didn't mean for these to be too hard for everybody - I will keep that in mind the next time I have the pleasure to pick 3 photos for a project.

But, if you only do what you know how to do, how do you know what you are capable of?

I think the marbles turned out very well - I especially like the largest marble - very translucent. Good job!

I want to keep pushing the monthly project because Redsey seems to be having computer problems and she wants to keep people's interest up. We have had some really great projects turned in.

Dark_Shades
05-12-2003, 12:04 PM
no worries Kyle......... Im only teasing you about the difficulty (I think) ... ha ha ha ...... its down to us what we try and dont, not for you to worry over in your selection

Dark_Shades
05-12-2003, 12:05 PM
As For Redsy ......... yup lol, she had said to me about keeping it listed....... so that why I keep popping in and commenting lolol

Kathryn Wilson
05-12-2003, 12:34 PM
Dark - LOL - I know you can take on these projects, but I did not keep in mind the newbies and people who had not tried pastels before. I was very selfish - I picked photos that made me want to get to the studio - so where are my studies???

Studio, here I come -

Luvy
05-12-2003, 02:47 PM
Been really busy this week getting daughter settled in and my house back in shape. Boxes are all out of my livingroom and I can see the floor again *S* Took today off to work on this. After seeing everyone's work. I think I should go back to the drawing board.

Dark_Shades
05-12-2003, 04:10 PM
this is nice luvy .......... I keep saying it, everyone whose tried this painting has done really well and I like them all ...... I MUST TRY this one and spoil the mould ha ha ha

.... you are always too hard on yourself luvy..... give yourself some slack

Mo.
05-12-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Luvy
Been really busy this week getting daughter settled in and my house back in shape. Boxes are all out of my livingroom and I can see the floor again *S* Took today off to work on this. After seeing everyone's work. I think I should go back to the drawing board.

Luvy.. you bloody well really annoy me... you have such a negative attitude about your art, and I ask myself why?

This is a great piece of work, come one girl, you've won prizes and awards for your work, be positive... don't compare your style and talents alongside others, do your own thing...you are an excellent artist in your own right...just let it shine like this one...it's damn good! :clap:

You should be saying here that you are pleased with what you have done, not apologising for it...come on Luvy, snap out of it!

Hope I haven't offended you, but you need a little shake I feel, and that is meant in the nicest of ways..... Be proud of yourself of your art and of and your achievements, hold that head high and go girl.:)

cheers,
Mo.

c

Mo.
05-12-2003, 07:49 PM
Well I worked my guts out on this tonight, started this about 8.30.p.m., and finished at 12.p.m. .that's 3, no 4 hours work.
Oil pastels on canson smooth side, no dilutants. i.e. turps.. a great challenge... I'm out of my comfort zone with this one, but DH came into my little studio at the time it was on the screen,... I held up the original and asked him what he thought of my marbles.....he said " well it's better than what's on there"...meaning the pc screen.... so this maybe will tell you how your paintings look for real.. anyway her it is...'sokay I think. :D

Like sundiver, there is no fear of these marbles being lost.:D:D...it was good fun, and a good exercise too.!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2003/5154-marbles01.jpg

editing here to say, colours are a bit bright due to the flash and nightime pic.

cheers,
Mo.

Kathryn Wilson
05-12-2003, 08:05 PM
Luvy: Good job! I am working on this one right now and there sure are bunches of color to worry about - you handled it well.

Mo: Great marbles!! You even put some cats eyes in there. I'm going to give this one a go with oils too - it'll be my first OP - if I find enough time this week. I can always give this a go some other time - but do want to do it in OP's.

One question Mo - I've tried working at night (tonight) and I am just not seeing the colors right. What kind of light do you use? Anyone else can jump in here on this one too if they have any suggestions.

oramasha
05-12-2003, 09:02 PM
Thank you all for being so encouraging. You all give great advice, and in such a gentle, humorous way! I esp. liked BNoonan's advice. ..basically, "a shape is a shape". Mo, you also made a good point that I'm taking to heart -- no more negative self-commentary. I'm at where I'm at and that's that.

It was so much fun seeing how everyone else handled the photos. Sundiver/mhimes/ds/mo/and anyone else who did a marble painting-- they all came out great! honestly, i think you guys have some framers there (i would anyway).

Luvy, i liked your adobe, especially the gentleness of the flowers in the front. You made it a home. In fact, I've seen other works by you, and they all have an element of gentleness or tenderness, which has a calming effect on me. What's wonderful is that everyone has a different style. Guilly, I like how you changed the colors and i loved all the shapes of your impressionistic scene.

Kyle and Craig-- DO NOT pick something w/ "newbies" in mind. Choose what you love! If I see any drapery, I'll just make it a solid.

:D :D

Craig Houghton
05-12-2003, 09:42 PM
Kyle and Craig-- DO NOT pick something w/ "newbies" in mind. Choose what you love! If I see any drapery, I'll just make it a solid.

muhaha and an ominous cackle! ;)

btw, mo, those marbles look so alive that I'm suprised they haven't rolled off the pic yet :P amazing

-Craig

Luvy
05-12-2003, 09:47 PM
Mo Hey when I really like one then I'm not negative LOL I liked most of this one except for foliage. I have to learn to do it. Grrr But thanks and I guess It's not one of my best but it's ok. LOL Think I'm better at people animals and stilllifes. But need this other stuff too. I want to learn it all. You should see a vase of flowers I tried LOL OMG Will I ever get that?

I love the colors you have in the marbles. Maybe I should try that one next.

I just love doing the same pictures everyone else does because you see different styles and you pick up some ideas on how you would like to handle something. You all are great teachers without even knowing it. I look at the paintings in these threads and think I never would have thought of doing it that way.

But WC is the best site around. I've learned so much and get to see some great artwork and sometimes in the making *S*

Dark You keep raising those goal posts for me. Slow down girl You're keeping me hopping LOL

Kathryn Wilson
05-12-2003, 10:04 PM
Luvy: Here's what I do for foliage - and looking at the dark trees in the background of the adobe photo - remember you are taking your darkest value first and laying that down, then your medium value goes over the top of that, but leave a little of the dark value around the back and edges (except the edge that is towards the light source) to show shadow and form. Your last layer should be your lightest or next to lightest. And your highlights are the very last thing you put on the paper before your say "voila"!

Hope this helps - :cat:

E-J
05-13-2003, 03:13 AM
Luvy, nothing wrong with your adobe, it's a great little picture. Agree with Mo, it's time for ALL of us to ditch our negativity ... it's so easy to slip into the habit of focusing on the stuff we don't think went well or that we think we're not good at ... apologising for our efforts ...

Smashing rendition of the marbles, Mo ~ you've put so much light in there!

flower
05-13-2003, 06:21 AM
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say i think ALL the pics that have been done up to now are brilliant, the marbles especially took me back to when we used to play in the playground at school (yeah i can still remember that far back) i was always fascinated with their colours as i am with these that youīve done.

I would like to participate but now theres so many comments it will take ages to print the pics is there anyway i can just print the pics without the comments?

E-J
05-13-2003, 06:31 AM
Patricia, if you right click on the picture you should see several options, one of which is something like 'Save Picture As' ~ select that and you can save the image to your C drive, then print it off from there.

Mo.
05-13-2003, 06:40 AM
Kyle: I use a desk spot lamp to work by, plus an overhead light, I used to use a daylight bulb which is excellent to work by at night, but at the moment I haven't replaced it, so the present one does give a warmer light,only problem is that it warms up the pastels, so have to cool them down every now and then :)
Whatever light you use, don't ever paint by fluorescent (sp) light it will kill your colours completely.

Oramasha: Mo, you also made a good point that I'm taking to heart -- no more negative self-commentary. I'm at where I'm at and that's that.

That's the way, be proud of what you do always. :)

I think we all tend to get disheartened and frustrated at times when things don't flow as well as we would like, when that happens it's best work through it, the phase will pass.

Thanks all for the nice comments on me marbles...anyone want a game? :D... I'll take the big one. !:D

Patricia..... Yuo can right click on the pic you want, then save it to a folder on your computer.... say 'My documents', then open it up in yoursoftware, whatever pciture imaging one you own and print it out, I generally work straight from the computer screen....

Cheers,
Mo.

Kathryn Wilson
05-13-2003, 07:19 AM
Flower - if you let me know which one you want printed, I can email it to you. These all came out of the Reference Library, so if you want to, you can search for them there and print them. But my emailing them to you will be faster.

flower
05-13-2003, 07:57 AM
Hi there,

Mo, Iīm not going to mention being a newbie anymore, i think its a kind of protection to say it, as though you donīt expect anything better from yourself and others probably wonīt either.

Hey Orramasha were not newbies anymore weīve posted LOL.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the tips on printing the pics.

Kyle that would be great if you could e-mail them i love them all, if its not too much trouble.

Kathryn Wilson
05-13-2003, 09:41 AM
Flower - I sent photos via email through a Private Message.

Kat

pampe
05-13-2003, 12:43 PM
well, I've done the first 2 in watercolor, so I thought I would start with this one:

1/2 sheet of yellow MiTeintes

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2003/4054-pueblo.jpg

Pam

Dark_Shades
05-13-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Luvy

Dark You keep raising those goal posts for me. Slow down girl You're keeping me hopping LOL

ohhhhh eck wot I dun now ...... :D

..... am I being a mean beastie :confused: ........... *cracks that whip........ now Mush!! ..... get 'em up, move 'em out........

Rawhide!!! ......... Mush!!! :evil:

Dark_Shades
05-13-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Mo.

Thanks all for the nice comments on me marbles...anyone want a game? :D... I'll take the big one. !:D

Cheers,
Mo.

hmmmm thought ya would lol...... would love a game..... making holes in the mud with the back of your heel lolol

by the way Mo...... love the light in ya marbles...... oh well off to get mine going again.......

I so like the adobe ones....... nice work Pampe

Kathryn Wilson
05-13-2003, 02:50 PM
MO: Thanks for the advice on the light issue. Had not tried to work at night until last night when I got behind on this week Pastel Riot. Working on the adobe right now - whew, so much pastel is coming off the board there is a dust cloud (which I know is not good). Using a paper I had stockpiled and it has alot of grit on it - not sure what it is at the mo.

Pampe: Working on the door to the adobe - I love yours! It looks old and that's what I want to achieve, but can't seem to get there yet.

Cracking the whip, eh, DS - mush yourself to the adobe photo!

pampe
05-13-2003, 03:30 PM
hey, oh fearless pastel rulers and thread starters:

can I also post this out in the general to get some critique....or ask it from you-all???

Dark_Shades
05-13-2003, 03:40 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2003/12116-Marbles.jpg

this is mine

flower
05-13-2003, 03:44 PM
Hey Dawn,

They look all mystical really nice, got my pics now canīt wait to have a go LOL

Dark_Shades
05-13-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by pampe
hey, oh fearless pastel rulers and thread starters:

can I also post this out in the general to get some critique....or ask it from you-all???

its entirely up to you Pampe ..... for what it is worth I will give you my thoughts

I really like how you have rendered the building, has a great sense of depth, and is complemented by the blue of the sky, but the foreground, gives me the impression that it is not finished, the strokes are very light...... dont know if that helps or not

pampe
05-13-2003, 04:42 PM
thanks, DS...that's kinda where I am with it....foreground is NOT done....but what to do?

flower
05-13-2003, 04:49 PM
Hi Pampe,

I think it probably needs some shadowing under the undergrowth, should be darker at the front of the pic, the house too, perhaps the windows on the left darker, and the door, this is only a personal opinion think the house is great.

Kathryn Wilson
05-13-2003, 04:54 PM
Pampe : I am at the same stage as you are on the adobe - what to do with the foreground - have filled my paper with all sorts of strokes and color, but it looks like weeds to me - LOL.

DS : Yay, the marbles look marvie. I love the black background - it's the way to go on this pic.

E-J
05-13-2003, 05:07 PM
Dawn, 'mystical' is the word I was going to use too, for those marbles of yours ... very nice ... eerie reflections ... looks as if someone's playing marbles in the dark with a torch or something :)

Mo.
05-13-2003, 05:18 PM
Mo, Iīm not going to mention being a newbie anymore, i think its a kind of protection to say it, as though you donīt expect anything better from yourself and others probably wonīt either.

Flower... there's a saying .....

"Aim for the moon, then if you miss you'll land up with the stars" ...or something like that. :D

Pampe...like your adobe, it's looks really sunbaked, great colours.:)

Dawn...your marbles remind me of planets in the great dark sky, the big one being planet Earth and the smaller ones orbiting around it....ooh isn't imagination great :)

Mo.

E-J
05-13-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by pampe
well, I've done the first 2 in watercolor, so I thought I would start with this one: 1/2 sheet of yellow MiTeintes
Pam

Pam ~ lovely version of the adobe. Everyone's done this picture so well ... now does that mean I should have a go too or that I should avoid it? :D

Dark_Shades
05-13-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Mo.

Dawn...your marbles remind me of planets in the great dark sky, the big one being planet Earth and the smaller ones orbiting around it....ooh isn't imagination great :)

Mo.

Lol Mo...... well yours certainly is :)

...... thas rather nice

hmmmmmm mystical....... quite a few people have said that about my paintings ...... wonder what that is all about

Smudger
05-14-2003, 05:34 AM
OK here's my Adobe... had to call in the tree surgeon on this one:D and i wish i'd asked him to cut down that big bush thing on the left while he was there.

Dawn - love your marbles and i'm very pleased you finally found them:D :D

Great work everyone, looking forward to next weeks

E-J
05-14-2003, 05:46 AM
Yay Mark!! You're pastelling again! Your adobe is excellent too ... this has convinced me ... I've GOT to do that picture ...

Smudger
05-14-2003, 05:49 AM
Yay Mark!! You're pastelling again!

and boy does it feel good!!... thanks E-J

Dark_Shades
05-14-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Smudger
OK here's my Adobe... had to call in the tree surgeon on this one:D and i wish i'd asked him to cut down that big bush thing on the left while he was there.

Dawn - love your marbles and i'm very pleased you finally found them:D :D

Great work everyone, looking forward to next weeks

'bout time too, you have been lurking long enough :)

..... another great adobe one...... I gotta try it..... like how you have opened up the sky

oramasha
05-14-2003, 10:49 AM
Dark Shades: Yup, mystical marbles!!!! You can play w/ those in the dark. I like your interpretation.

Pampe: I like all your different textures of the adobe. I'm not able to critique, but I"d be curious to hear what you get in the other critiques forum as well.

Smudger: Frankly I could have used a lawnmower on mine, too. Can you believe it never occurred to me to call the lawn or paint service? I like your enhancements.

EJ and others-- come join w/ the adobe. If I get a chance, I"m going to try the marbles in shades of gray. Maybe my marbles w/ resemble brain matter.

I'm going outside (of course for the first time) to sketch and learn w/ someone who understands perspective today. Can't wait.

If I missed anyone, I'm sorry, this is a tough crowd to keep up with. Lisa

flower
05-14-2003, 05:00 PM
Hi everyone,

Heres my version, needs lots of practice and more time but still i wanted to post for your comments and advice, thanking you in advance, took about an hour, and about an hour trying to load it cos they said it was too big, only joking but it took a while to load, LOL

E-J
05-14-2003, 05:16 PM
Patricia, if you use the 'uploader' tool at the top of the page it should automatically resize your image for you. We will also then be able to refer to it when we click on 'reply' ~ if you include it as an attachment we can't do that.

Yet another impressive adobe ... your style [lots of blending] is very distinctive!

guilliame
05-14-2003, 05:38 PM
Luvy,Pampe,Smudger and Flower,Welcome to the Adobe Club,another 4 different versions and all good in there own right well done:clap:
As for the marbles i had visions of looking for my calipers and marking out a lot of circles of different sizes,so a special :clap: for those that made the attempt:D
Mo,sundiver,mhimeswc and DS again 4 different versions and i like them all,back to front ones,some say mystical i say magical,loads of colour,light and reflections super:clap: .

flower
05-14-2003, 06:07 PM
Hi,

Guilliame, thankyou for your comment, i just love to use pastels donīt know if i have a style but i do it how i feel LOL

Guillame, ty for your comment too, I think this thread is good and encouraging to try things out, look forward to the next ....marbles?

flower
05-14-2003, 06:08 PM
Hi E-J

sorry my first comment was for you but i tipped the wrong name please forgive me and thankyou

Kathryn Wilson
05-15-2003, 05:11 PM
Finally - done. I learned one thing, on these weekly projects - work small. 14 x 18 is waaaay to big.

Comments please -

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2003/14941-adobe-house-2.jpg

flower
05-15-2003, 05:14 PM
Hi Kyle,

Canīt get your pic wpould love to see it but theres a little red cross

Kathryn Wilson
05-15-2003, 05:17 PM
Hi Flower: I know, I had an ooops - try refreshing - it's there now (I hope). I see it on my screen.

flower
05-15-2003, 05:19 PM
Hi Kyle,

Now iīve got it its great, i am amazed at how everyone has interpreted this one pic, think its great to have this opportunity to express how we feel and how different it comes out, you picked some nice pics Kyle

Kathryn Wilson
05-15-2003, 05:26 PM
Yeh, I just went back and viewed all the adobes - I wish there were a way to see them all in a "gallery style" like in the Monthly Pastel Project forum. It is interesting how everyone interpreted the photo, but how much the same they are at the same time.

I think the adobes pretty much look the same, but the grasses in front and the trees in the back show the biggest difference.

Kewl - Kat

Dark_Shades
05-15-2003, 06:02 PM
my rendition........... cant get the photo to look right, colour wise - and looks indisctinct and blurry

confused:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2003/12116-Adobe.jpg:

flower
05-15-2003, 06:07 PM
Hi Dawn,

I like the way you have the distinctive windows and door i canīt get that right feel that i have too big fingers, i have to work on my drawing somemore, i think everyone of these pics is different and they all look good, like kyle said it would be nice if we could show them all together everyones interpretation of this pic

Dark_Shades
05-15-2003, 06:21 PM
hat off to you Kyle....... think this is the most popular Riot so far........ 9 renditions of one subject :clap: :clap:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2003/12116-8.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2003/12116-2.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2003/12116-7.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2003/12116-6.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2003/12116-9.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2003/12116-4.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2003/12116-5.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2003/12116-1.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2003/12116-3.gif

flower
05-15-2003, 06:25 PM
Hi Dawn,

GREAT wish i could get those swinging arms going, think i must put more colour in mine too wishy washy but nice to see them all together THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dark_Shades
05-15-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by flower
Hi Dawn,

I like the way you have the distinctive windows and door i canīt get that right feel that i have too big fingers, i have to work on my drawing somemore, i think everyone of these pics is different and they all look good, like kyle said it would be nice if we could show them all together everyones interpretation of this pic

..... are you talking blending here Flower? ...... try not to blend so much, let your pastels do the work for you.... get them into a point and then can get the detail

oramasha
05-15-2003, 06:35 PM
kyle,

ask and you shall receive, eh? THANKS dark shades!!! It's really fun to see all the interps. of the adobe w/out clicking back 6 times.

Kathryn Wilson
05-15-2003, 06:53 PM
DS: Kewl - altogether at the same time - makes it so much easier to compare. Not hats off to me, I only picked the photo. Hats off to everyone who tried to master the beast.

Can we ask for the marbles together too - huh, huh, pleeese.

:clap: :p

JamieWG
05-15-2003, 07:00 PM
Wow, Dawn, thanks so much for putting all those adobe paintings together in a single post! It is so much fun to see the interpretations together that way......Like when we all do the same still life in class and then go around to see what everybody else did.....(Always more individual differences when painting from life though!)

Great jobs, everybody!

Jamie

Dark_Shades
05-15-2003, 07:06 PM
good to see you Jamie :)

lol I think it should also become a law that the thread starter combines all the pics and posts em hee hee hee :D

....... well if no one does it in the meantime, I will put all the marbles together lolol ........ tomorrow........ Im off to bed, its gone midnight here :)

nite nite

Kathryn Wilson
05-15-2003, 07:31 PM
Okay, okay - let me give it a whack - here are the marbles:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2003/12116-Marbles.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2003/6393-pastelmarbles.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2003/5154-marbles01.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2003/12116-Marbles.jpg

If I have left anyone's marbles out - let me know and I'll fix it ASAP.

flower
05-15-2003, 07:48 PM
Hey Kyle,

WELL DONE, iīm pleased with myself that iīm mastering the computer aswell as painting, see what can be done when one tries LOL

bnoonan
05-15-2003, 08:06 PM
Wow - you guys deserve a Cheer for all that hard work and well done paintings. Love seeing them together and individually.

YEAH!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Smudger
05-16-2003, 04:30 AM
They do look good together don't they... great work everyone and well done Kyle great Riot:clap: :clap:

Kathryn Wilson
05-16-2003, 08:33 AM
I would like to thank the photographers who provided the wonderful photos we used in this project. Their expertise gave us a wonderful week of pastel fun:

Marbles: MUSTCREATE

Landscape: CHARLEYMANO

Adobe: Unknown User

These photos were found in the WC Reference Library -

Kathryn (Kat) :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Craig Houghton
05-16-2003, 09:16 AM
now, i've got to find some way to manage to follow this up! this is going to be a tough riot to top :)

either way, it'll be fun. i pretty much have the references all picked anyhow :P it should be fun -- i hope!

-Craig

mustcreate
05-16-2003, 02:01 PM
awesome work pastelists!!!!

I don't often peek in Pastels but I'm glad I did today!!

It has been great fun seeing my marbles interpreted so many different ways.

thanks!!!

em

butterfly
05-19-2003, 01:06 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2003/19725-marblereflections.jpg

Gosh what a week. I really did finish this before the 17th, but this is the first time I was able to get near the computer ... the kids are home from college. They upgraded everything on this machine and now I really don't know what I'm doing. Infra-red mouse is giving me a real hard time trying to use it. Suppose to be simplier ... but not for me ... have to point it at something just don't know what yet ???

Did this on Cansen 9"x12" with NuPastels ... the large marble is a little rounder now, but I don't want to venture into taking another picture and uploading ... this took me 20 minutes to figure out how to do with all these new things on this computer ... Can't comment on everyone elses yet ... have to figure out the mouse thing ...

I will be back missed seeing all your works ...

Thanks for looking.

Butterfly/Roni

Smudger
05-19-2003, 03:23 AM
Roni - It's never too late to post such a great pic... well done:clap:

Kathryn Wilson
05-19-2003, 08:48 AM
Roni: Wonderful glassy feel to those marbles - this is a good one. It seems like you conquered some technology today, the pic looks good and clear and it uploaded okay. Hang in there and thanks for posting the marbles.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Luvy
05-19-2003, 09:18 AM
Oh I 'm so far behind. Dawn I'm glad you put all those of the adobe together. I actually couldn't find my the first time I looked through them LOL I've been so busy lately. But then it's summer and I always get busy then.

Love the marbles everyone did. I started them and it wasn't going well so just pitched it. After seeing everyone elses I should have kept on it to see if I could do it. Great job everyone