PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Sun Color

stodbw
05-09-2003, 11:51 PM
I saw a painting tonight where the artist has the sun setting in the low horizon which obviously is no big deal.

What was a big deal to me was how bright he/she was able to make the sun appear in color. It was the brightest and more natural looking sun I have ever seen in a painting.

What color(s) or technique do you suppose he/she used to get that effect???? :confused:

It wad a truly beautiful painting.

Grayeagle

pampe
05-09-2003, 11:53 PM
probably left the lights...even whites

was it watercolor?

taghera
05-10-2003, 12:05 AM
Sorta hard question to answer....nothing can be bright without surrounding darks.....:)

Flattwo
05-10-2003, 04:03 AM
Hi

I agree with Tag..without dark there can be no light..its all about contrast..sounds like a interesting painting..can you not post it?

Flattwo

M.A.
05-10-2003, 05:17 AM
Is there an url you can link us to the painting with? Sounds interesting and wonderful, would like to see it.

minov
05-10-2003, 08:40 AM
I read somewher a long time ago that that's one of the hardest things to do in watercolor- portray a setting sun. Hard to keep the darks (blues) from blending with the lights (yellow, orange, reds, etc.) and making green.

Still working on that technique myself....

Mindy

stodbw
05-10-2003, 11:59 AM
Guys,

I canít post it. I saw this in a mall gallery.

Yes, the surrounding sky was filled with purples and deep
reds, like you would suppose in a sunset.

Iíve seen hundreds of sunset/sunrise painting
and hundreds of sun paintings, but I have never seen
any with the sun this color. My wife and I, just
stood there for the longest time trying to figure out
what colors, etc were used?

We walked away assuming there is a florescent
yellow/white that we donít know about?????

Grayeagle

Starsprite
05-10-2003, 12:18 PM
Well what you are describing (the really light, almost fluorescent appearing yellow) reminds me of Flattwo's sunsets. :)