PDA

View Full Version : Stump House

Sylvielu
05-09-2003, 11:20 PM
Back in the pioneer days there were huge and gigantic trees here. Often these trees were cut down and a stump maybe 6 to ten feet high was left. The center was soft so it was scraped out, a roof was added and some type of door. These stump houses were used to store things like tools, chickens and there was one even used as a house for the settlers.

While visiting a campground park and museum somewhere not far from Bellingham we came across a couple of these stumps. These were small in comparison to some of the giants.

Sometimes I get sad when I think of how beautiful those trees looked long ago and how old they were! Those vast trees are gone now...

This is from a photo I took at the park about 3 years ago. It's on Strathmore 140cp paper and including a border its about 6 x 9 inches.

Comments welcome.

I tried getting the shadow very dark. It was a very, very sunny day. Shadow on tree is not very even....maybe I will try airbrushing next.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2003/2752-stump.JPG

Mary Smith
05-09-2003, 11:34 PM
Interesting story, high tall is this tree stump and did people live there?

Phillip
05-10-2003, 12:58 AM
What a cool home.

I would like to see some details where the shadow is.
to dark for me.

Sylvielu
05-10-2003, 10:07 AM
Thanks for looking. This stump is about 7 feet high and I'm not sure about the circumface.

The sun was very intense and produced strong shadows I didn't put any details into the shadow because I didn't see any in the photo. But I think I will add some. Thanks for the advice Philip.