PDA

View Full Version : Adjustments To Eagle

Wayne Gaudon
05-09-2003, 10:17 PM
The SIL never gave it a look .. wanted a charcoal drawing and not a painting so I decided to give it some more character .. not sure if I'm done .. I looked at quite a few photos and in some the beak is longer and some shorter depending on the angle of the shot and basically, they are all different in some way so I think I have this one done unless someone sees something really out to lunch.

Added some color to the eye and darkened the beak and back feathers as well as added a little feather to square it off a bit more .. 16 x 20 Oil On Strectched Canvas

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2003/5946-eagle.jpg

echidna
05-09-2003, 11:58 PM
this looks great! i can't believe someone would just pass this by...one small nit- i would add some more feathers under his beak to round out his skull. right now, it looks like it cuts off a bit of where his skull should be. if i'm making no sense-which i'm probably not- then i can show you digitally what i mean!
~Echidna

Wayne Gaudon
05-10-2003, 07:32 AM
thank you .. show away .. anything that makes it better.

Paul Hopkinson
05-10-2003, 08:33 AM
Hey Wayne! You have done this painting a great justice. To me all looks fine and the quality of your work surpasses some of the best wildlife artists world wide!
Well done.:clap: :clap:

Paul

Mandy Valin
05-10-2003, 10:44 AM
This is great!! I love the eye , its perfect :D

BTDogMom
05-10-2003, 11:29 AM
U know what? This is really outstanding :clap: :clap: :clap:

echidna
05-10-2003, 12:47 PM
i knew i wasn't making any sense:p . here's what i mean- i would just add some more feathers under the beak to round out the skull
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2003/20929-5946-eagle.jpg
and a skeleton diagram to show the underlying structures and how the head and beak connect to the body:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2003/20929-skeleton_eagle.gif
hope that helps!
~Echidna

crazeejumper
05-10-2003, 01:58 PM
Wonderful painting! He looks so regal. :clap:

Wayne Gaudon
05-10-2003, 08:31 PM
Echidna .. thank you very much .. good point
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2003/5946-eagleh.jpg

Paul .. now I can't get back upstairs .. my heads too big LOL .. thank you ..

Alde .. thank you

BTDogMom .. thanks

crazeejumper .. thanks .. I'm jumpin' with joy.

Margaret Dent
05-10-2003, 10:57 PM
Wayne,

It's a lovely painting but two things do come to mind immediately even though I don't have a pic of an eagle in front of me. I think the beak should be longer and also the top of the head/eyebrow are a bit off.

Now, I may be wrong, but it seems to me the top of the head is usually a lot flatter and also the typical brow - starts off more at the beak than at the corner of the eye and it's also almost a straight line a bit highter over the eye. Am I making sense?

Hope this helps you,

Margaret.

paintedhorses
05-11-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Margaret Dent
Wayne,

It's a lovely painting but two things do come to mind immediately even though I don't have a pic of an eagle in front of me. I think the beak should be longer and also the top of the head/eyebrow are a bit off.

Now, I may be wrong, but it seems to me the top of the head is usually a lot flatter and also the typical brow - starts off more at the beak than at the corner of the eye and it's also almost a straight line a bit highter over the eye. Am I making sense?

Hope this helps you,

Margaret.

I agree with Margaret - Bald Eagles generally have a flatter topline on the head, and the beak is longer, almost as long as the head:) ; the 'eyebrow' is generally flatter too. Beautiful painting, tho.

Jeri

snuffy
05-12-2003, 08:53 AM
Wayne -
You should be really proud of this - it is an excellent first effort. Now, after saying that, I am going to nit pick. Don't worry too much about the shape of the upper head. Most birds can change the shape of their skull above the eye line. That's how crested birds raise and lower their crest.
Good job on the eye, except for color and pupil size. Should be bright yellow eye w/ small pupil. The area containing the nostril is called the cere, and in older birds especially,looks somewhat knobby and gnarly. The colors are reversed - the cere should be slightly darker than the lighter yellow beak.
The jaw line is correct for length, it really does extend back past the eye but begins to be covered w/ feathers just before it passes under the eye. In other words, you probably wouldn't see it on a bird at rest.
The supraorbital ridge above the eye doesn't arc back down when it passes the center of the eye - it straightens out. Also, there is a little distance between the top of the eye and the beginning of the ridge.
All done nit picking now. You still did a good job!

Leslie Pz
05-12-2003, 09:44 AM
This is very nice! Too bad for your SIL, but great for you. This piece belongs in your portfolio.
-Les

Wayne Gaudon
05-13-2003, 12:28 PM
dang .. must be some truth to the old art statement .. to paint a good bird you must first wring it's neck .. heck .. I couldn't do that .. detail is not my strength .. I will just slip this up on eBay as is and hope that it does OK and the buyer isn't as sharp as you people .. :D

Thanks all for your help and encouragement ..

Sher
05-13-2003, 01:56 PM
WOW! I love it. Your Eagle looks absolutely regal.