PDA

View Full Version : Latina Girl

Dompros
05-09-2003, 09:53 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2003/12130-latina_girl_4_enh.jpg

Arches CP #140, 22"x30", M. Graham paints

Greetings...
Several comments concerning values have caused me to look at this painting from a new point of view.
I can see, that the value problems are showing at this stage.

So, what's the remedy?

Please understand that I may not use every suggestion right now, but they all will go into my note book!

Best Regards, Robert

l_wheat
05-10-2003, 12:24 AM
Looks fine to me, Im no expert so dont take my word but it looks great

artmom
05-10-2003, 12:34 AM
Robert, Here's a tip.
If you just want comments, use the word Comments.

If you would like a true critique, you need to ask for it as in
Critiques welcome or Comments and critiques welcome. If you don't, some people will just look and not post anything. The word "critique" lets us know you are not too sensitive for constructive criticism. :)

Lyn

Nandie
05-10-2003, 03:38 AM
Hi Robert!

You're already off to a great start - I love that blue dress!!

Values are easily rendered once you establish your light source and the direction it is coming from. Then you can save your lightest values for the surfaces facing the light source, and paint your darker values on the surfaces facing away from the light. For instance, your lady should be casting a shadow (dark value), away from the light source. Probably against the wall somewhere, if the light is coming from the left, which it looks to me like it is. And the basket will throw a shadow. And the folds in her dress & skirt will have shadows. I can see you have started some shading in those folds... just make them a little darker in the deepest creases and you'll be well on your way to having a broad range of values in this painting.

Hope that helps!:cat:

Nandie
05-10-2003, 04:15 AM
Robert, forgive me for fiddling with your painting but if you aren't familiar with values, perhaps a "visual" will help explain my previous explanation!
Here's a greyscale of your painting:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2003/14007-latina_girl_grey1.jpg

Here's your painting again, after I added some shadows and darkened some of the shadows you already did eg. creases in the dress (It's crudley done - sorry) - but it gives you the idea!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2003/14007-latina_girl_dk.jpg

And here's a greyscale after adding the shadows:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2003/14007-latina_girl_grey.jpg

Can you see the value difference?

M.A.
05-10-2003, 05:28 AM
This is a lovely painting with great shapes and depth.

Values, we all struggle with them. I guess one thing to keep in mind is that they're all relative ... could go a little darker in some of the darkest areas ... could scrup or scrape out some areas to make them lighter.

Here's a little gem I picked up in class recently ... apparently, the masters figured out a general guideline ... shadows appear 40 per cent darker than the color of the item that is in shadow. Interesting, huh? In any event, it get's a bit interesting to calculate if you do a 1 to 10 value scale for each of the colors you use. That way, you can compare the "actual" colour with the value that would be in shadow and just bump it up by 40 per cent. So if you were using a color value of 3, then you would use a color value of 7 as the shadow. I'm in the process of doing value scales for my colors now (a process I find as interesting as creating a painting). In any event, it's one more tool you can have at hand to consider.

Best,
M.A.

Uschi
05-10-2003, 08:50 AM
Lovely theme and composition. You have been given excellent advice. Looking forward to seeing it developed.
Uschi

Dompros
05-10-2003, 02:11 PM
This is amazing! Like attending an advanced workshop for free!

Just think last month I couldn't spell critique and now I asking for 'em... Thanks ArtMom...

Nandie!... An excellent demo by you. It is pure info input... Just love it! It amazing what your shadowing did to the hemline of the dress, Seemed to make it float! The greayscale is very informative!

Fun2cook, Great input, I love precision, Your points on scale help me to break it down into a usable approach!

Thanks to all of you for your interest!

Regards, Robert