I KNOW: DARKS!!!!

what else?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2003/4054-Italianroof.jpg

comments and critique requested

Thanks
Pam

JustjoGA
05-09-2003, 04:36 PM
Yep... darker on the shaded walls (to our right?) Lovely, lovely scene, Pam...

M.A.
05-09-2003, 04:39 PM
Lovely. Just more darks and you're done (or are you?:))

Uschi
05-09-2003, 04:40 PM
Very Italian, very nice!!!! Yes, missing some of that Pampe purple HA!
Uschi

Olga
05-09-2003, 04:43 PM
Lovely Pam. Great composition.

Apart from shadows, I think the close up roofs might need a bit of texture--both for variety and to "age" them...

Also--I find the little window crosses a bit distracting I think they need a bit more definition even though they are far away. Or you could darken them?

Olga

artmom
05-09-2003, 04:43 PM
Pam, are you going to "tile" those roofs w/your darks?

Lyn

Olga and I cross-posted--LOL--she said it better than I!!!

Nandie
05-09-2003, 04:57 PM
Coming along nicely! I'm wishing for a little more variation in the sky...... but that's just my personal preference!;)

Yorky
05-09-2003, 04:59 PM
Sorry Pam - lighting is not clear. You need to decide where the sun is and apply some dark shadows.

Doug

PS I gave up on my Sienna rooftops painting :(

madmum
05-09-2003, 05:11 PM
Ohhhhhhhhh a combination of Italy and abstract! :clap:

Yes, I'd like more texture in foreground too, maybe lines where tiles overlap. Can't explain what I mean, but the bumpy pattern that's so Italian needs to be in there.

Ruth

painterbear
05-09-2003, 05:56 PM
Would like to see some indication of tiles here and there--the roofs are the right color, but they all seem to be flat.

No need to mention darks, is there? ;)

suzpaints
05-09-2003, 06:24 PM
agree about the darks, but then you already knew that...

depending on how much you want to do, you could add more detail - texture

but I think it would also look cool just as is, with that loose feel.

nice work!

Susie. :)

pampe
05-09-2003, 06:46 PM
just so you don't think I only show you the successes

*shudder*

Little Old Lady
05-09-2003, 07:59 PM
It does still need something but I have no idea what! That's a lot of help isn't it?
JoAnn

noreenemc
05-09-2003, 08:11 PM
How about a little more texture in the walls? Cracked plaster, swipes with the trowel, that sort of thing. Just hints of it. Gorgeous colors as usual.

surreal
05-09-2003, 09:08 PM
Hi Pam~
I like the composition alot.

I think the painting needs more variation in values - more contrast.

lyn lynch
05-09-2003, 09:40 PM
I was just going to say "looks good", but I can't.

On first scan you showed nice clear path of light value from
left side of roof tops 2/3 across bottom and curving back left to light value huse at sky edge, and now it is gone. I don't like the color added to the rooftops and wish you to remove them before going to bed tonight; likewise that building on the left side.

I thought sky was going to be a sea.

I thought this was working rather well on the first scan, it just needed a tiny bit of tweaking. To add this detail stuff is not how you have been painting these works. The style of work serves you well, it is refreshing to see, actually.

BobH
05-09-2003, 10:29 PM
I liked the first image better than the second. I thought the muted colors worked well. I think if you added a few shadows to define the light and turned the sky into a distant sea (as fookie suggested) you'd have a winner. The only thing I saw was the roof line on the middle building 1/3 down the sheet. The right rear corner seems to be hanging out over thin air.

Bob

Lady Carol
05-09-2003, 11:13 PM
Pam there is no real point of interest and the eye roams from roof to roof. It is better with the darks but I think you need a naked sunbather on a roof to add a bit of spice:evil:

Phillip
05-10-2003, 01:04 AM
I think this would be a great candidate for Ink.

Yep Ink, Draw in some textures etc with Ink, not the waterproof kind, that way when you finnish drawing in details with ink, spray with water very gentle. & see the magic.

Or you can wet paper slightly than draw with Ink. I would use a dip pen.

Yorky
05-10-2003, 06:39 AM
Perhaps add a church tower at a focal point, darken the shadows, add a few chimneys etc, and maybe crop it?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2003/1046-PampesRooftops2.jpg

I'll dig out my failure - it will make you feel better.

Doug

capricorne
05-10-2003, 06:40 AM
What else?...some spaces of white, where the sun catches the walls :D
Great job
Jan

Yorky
05-10-2003, 08:21 AM
There you go!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2003/1046-SiennaRooftops.jpg
Ugh! Her's where I gave up.

Now do you feel better? There's a lot more life in your rooftops than mine.

Doug

Kate Mc
05-10-2003, 03:44 PM
Doug--
Your failure?? SINGULAR?? LOL! I wish *I* could use the singular!!

Pampe,

Put this away and work on Paris. You can come back later and decide where your light is coming from. I like the cropping suggestion.....

I'm waiting to see the Paris street scene....

Kate

mustcreate
05-10-2003, 04:08 PM
it's kind of scattered. the differing values for the shaded sides of the buildings are too varied. if they were all one value I think it would help.

also, I would have preferred more blue in here. especially the windows on the left.

you know.....I think ink might do the trick!! what do you have to lose if you don't care for it anyway....it might just be the unifying piece.

em

Yorky
05-10-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Ban Sidhe
Doug--
Your failure?? SINGULAR?? LOL! I wish *I* could use the singular!!
Kate

LOL - My Tuscan rooftops failure! I have a pile a mile high of the others :D

Doug

CharM
05-10-2003, 07:24 PM
Pam, while you've already put a lot of work into this, I'm sorry to say that I did like the first stage better... Now, for a word at your expense... Because you are sooooooo good at what you do, it does my dabbler heart good to know that once in awhile even you have difficulty!!! Your struggles always end up being an excellent painting lesson for me... I'm sorry about the cost of the lesson, because I'm certain you're frustrated... Even more amazing to me is that you always manage to pull a rabbit out of a hat and turn out something completely stunning.

Waiting for the rabbit... :evil:

rapolina
05-12-2003, 04:28 AM
Ciao pam!
do you love italy ??? ;)

your painting is nice, but something is not right...
i think that the sky is a litte too green
in sunny italian :) sky you should use a richer blue, i think it would give a pleasent contrast with yellow walls.

ciao, rapolina.

Sharon Douglas
05-12-2003, 04:43 AM
Pam,
I hate to put the cat amongst the pigeons but, the big building in the bottom right hand corner, if you look at it the perspective is off . Every time I look at thye painting I can`t take my eyes off this building.
Sorry:angel:
Sharon.