PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Mesa

Dompros
05-09-2003, 04:29 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2003/12130-arizona_mesa.jpg

Arches 140lb cold press, M.Graham paints, 22"x32"

I haven't figured out how to upload the image so that you don't have to go to a linked image?

Comments welcome...

Regards, Robert

M.A.
05-09-2003, 04:37 PM
Lovely landscape. I wonder what a few more darker values in the mountain range would do?

artmom
05-09-2003, 04:39 PM
Nice--what would more darks in foreground do--your values seem to be rather similar?

Lyn

Dompros
05-09-2003, 04:47 PM
Hi, and thank you for your comments...

I just got this back from a show and have hung it on a white wall to review your comments!

I'm looking at my monitor and trying to see if the "digi"photo altered the values?

I'll have to think this over before I unframe it...

Regards, Robert

painterbear
05-09-2003, 06:01 PM
Hi Robert,

Looks like you figured out how to use the Uploader after you posted your message because your painting is there in the thread, and, equally important, it is here for us to see as we add our replies.

This is a lovely southwest landscape. I like the mesa a lot and the sky with the soft clouds is terrific.

Have you looked at your painting in grayscale on your computer? There doesn't seem to be a lot of variation in values. Some strategic darks and lights might give it more zing.

Little Old Lady
05-09-2003, 08:34 PM
Very nice composition and landscape. Values don't bother me!
JoAnn

Dompros
05-09-2003, 09:43 PM
First to, PainterBear!

Thank you so much for your comments!

Your suggestion for viewing in greyscale is the smatest idea that I read in a long time!
Never entered my mind... I'm going to take a look and it should be very revealing!
Now that several of you have mentioned values, I can see that I'm running into the same problem on a painting now...

So, I'm going to upload it for comments and suggestions on the values! I'll call it Latina Girl for now.

JoAnn... I like you alot!

Regards, Robert

pampe
05-09-2003, 11:35 PM
grayscale is ALWAYS a great resource

I like this a lot!

I think all it needs is the foreground trees to be larger and darker

Phillip
05-10-2003, 12:55 AM
Beautiful.
I agree with the last remark regarding the trees.
I think that;s all it needs.

Dompros
05-10-2003, 02:26 PM
Greetings, All...

After reviewing the comments, It's clear that a fundamental is missing from this painting!

There's no foreground!

The levee road that I was on connects to the road coming in from the bottom right. The river is about a mile away and there was alot of scrubby brush between me and the water, that I left out.

The reason that the small trees are so far away from the water is because it's a flood plane.
I thought about making up a foreground but didn't know what to do!

The pyramid formations on the mesa are mine tailings about 8 miles away. Abandoned now, up close the destruction is herrondous!
The road that goes to the mesa turns right at the base and goes to a village that's painted in but can't be seen in this photo.

The thought of removing the painting from the frame and unmatting it kinda bothers me!

But I suppose that I must to get it right!

Regards, Robert

CharM
05-11-2003, 12:22 AM
Robert, this is your painting, so you can put whatever you want in your foreground if you decide to change it!!! Next time you post, submit your painting before you frame it... makes life a little easier... I like what you have done and really don't think you HAVE to change anything...

Dompros
05-11-2003, 01:50 AM
HMmmm... Yea, See What you mean.

I got pressured to get some paintings ready for a show in Feb.
and just got the painting back this last week.
No one bought it, so I kinda wondered What opinions of it would be!
Guess I better let well enought alone...

Thanks for your input, CharM.

Regards, Robert