PDA

View Full Version : Critique: Chichester Cathedral

Lady Carol
05-09-2003, 01:57 PM
I have been lurking for awhile. Darn it! Work gets in the way of painting. Any way my lastest piece took about 16 hours and is 16X22 inches on 600gms HP paper. I love this paper and the detail that can be rendered. I hate the drying time though...it just takes too long:rolleyes:

Please critique and thanks in advance for doing so.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2003/11811-cathedral.jpg

Lady Carol
05-09-2003, 01:59 PM
And with that post I finally became a Minion:D

Gilberte
05-09-2003, 02:02 PM
C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S

on your excellent painting
on your 1001st post !

artmom
05-09-2003, 02:26 PM
Congrats on Minion-hood!
Wonderfully architectural painting:D

Lyn

pampe
05-09-2003, 02:30 PM
16 hours....wheeeeeeeee

wow

congrats on your minionhood! :clap:

quit lurking and get in here

This is lovely....I would like to see just a tad more contrsat between the light side and the shadow side of the steeple.....IMHO

Pam

Lady Carol
05-09-2003, 02:35 PM
Thank you Gilberte, Lyn and Pam

Yes! Definitely more darks on the steeple. It did look darker before I painted the tree:rolleyes:

The tree almost wasn't added as it looked great without it and I thought that I would ruin the painting.... But I think the tree really added to the piece and I like it, even if I do say so myself.

Olga
05-09-2003, 03:10 PM
Amazing detail and a very nice light here--bright sunshine and shadow and very clean colors.

Terrific painiting, Carol

Olga

CharM
05-09-2003, 03:29 PM
Congratulations on your Minionhood, Carol!!!

The tree is definitely a bonus here... You executed the foliage and the flowers in the foreground just beautifully... Once you darken up your shadows you will have an absolutely stunning painting! You should be happy with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...there is something about that left gate column that's niggling at me... I can't quite describe why though... It could be my dumb laptop monitor...

M.A.
05-09-2003, 04:19 PM
Welcome to minionism. Your painting is fabulous!
:clap:

(btw - do you use a hairdryer on your watercolors?)

madmum
05-09-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by CharM

...there is something about that left gate column that's niggling at me... I can't quite describe why though... It could be my dumb laptop monitor...

Cathedral is great, just enough detail, but I agree, something is off with the gate posts. Possibly the perspective?

Ruth

DaZZer
05-09-2003, 06:10 PM
Carol, I agree with Ruth that the cathedral has just the right detail, I think that overdoing the steeple might conflict with the tree that frames it. On the perspective side of things i did notice that the left brick gate post is wider at the top than it is at the bottom - having said that i think this adds character to the painting.. lovely painting.. lots of juicy detail but still fresh and lively :clap:

Little Old Lady
05-09-2003, 08:31 PM
Lovely painting. I am not sure but should the posts be closer to the sme height?
JoAnn

Starsprite
05-09-2003, 09:02 PM
This is great Carol!! I love the tree framing the painting and the sunlit feeling to the cathedral. Cathedral is really interesting to look at!!! Very good!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sandy1
05-09-2003, 09:09 PM
WHAT A STUNNING PICTURE. IT'S BEAUTIFUL.

al22
05-09-2003, 09:26 PM
Nicely done Carol........will frame up in style.........
........al

Sher
05-09-2003, 09:36 PM
I love the Cathedral. So peaceful looking....

macmaam
05-09-2003, 10:49 PM
Great use of repeating motifs, and the dark foreground is really effective at drawing the eye through and into the scene! Seems to need a litle more punch around the focus, but i can't offer any firm suggestions. One of my tricks is to play with a scan in Photoshop and try varying color temps, darkening or lifting some areas, and changing edges here and there. Maybe you could find something pleasing that would really finish it, but it doesn't need much. Good work!

Lady Carol
05-09-2003, 11:08 PM
Olga - thank you

CharM, Ruth & JoAnn - the posts suffer from lack of a steady hand when painting the bricks. The right column bows in the middle and the perspective is a little off on the left....oh well can't win them all. I was hoping ono one would notice but you all have eagle-eyes :D

Fun2cook - Thanks. I don't use a hairdryer. I hadn't thought of that:rolleyes: It would be a problem if I used masking fluid so I guess it is better not to get into the habit of it.

Dazzer - thanks. I will leave the columns and chalk it up to experience.

Patty, Sandy, Al, Sher and Macmaam thanks for looking and taking the time to comment.

Phillip
05-10-2003, 01:18 AM
Very well done painting.

I love how you kept the plants & flowers in shadow at the foreground. The bricks look great.

Would be interesting to see what it would look like to darken the shadows just a tad on the cathedral

I agree Photoshop would certainly be the way.

But than not everyone has the priveledge of owning such a expensive program.

Let me know if you want to see what a little darkness on the shadows would look like, I can do that for you if you wish.

tunna
05-10-2003, 03:39 AM
what can one say-only what a lovely picture-a credit to you.
regards tunna.

Flattwo
05-10-2003, 03:50 AM
Hi

A very nicely done painting, I agree with you the tree does add something to the composition, and the verdigris on the cooper roof in well rendered..a nice piece to view

Thanks

Flattwo

capricorne
05-10-2003, 06:35 AM
Delicate painting, good use of the darks in the foreground, creates dept. You must have much patience :D
Jan

painterbear
05-10-2003, 06:56 AM
Hi Carol,

Lovely painting with a terrific composition. The tree framing the cathedral is super. I like the hydrangea bushes at the forefront.

I like them so much I think a painting of a hydrangea bush would be a lovely floral for you to do if you are looking around for another painting subject. ;)

Little Old Lady
05-10-2003, 08:16 AM
Hair dryers are great for quick drying. Don't effect masking fluid.
JoAnn

karenjh
05-10-2003, 09:47 AM
What a great painting! Your buildings are beautiful and have great perspective. I like the trees and the flowers in the foreground - puts a lot of depth into this painting.

Well Done!

Lady Carol
05-10-2003, 10:53 AM
Phillip: thanks. It was scary painting the plants in fresh colors and then overlaying them with washes of sepia to achieve the depth. I was thinking I was mad to do it and it wouldn't have been the first time that I ruined a piece because of a radical move.

Tunna: thanks

Henry: somewhat odd in that the only way I could get a fairly close color was to add chinese white -

Jan: no patience...I am a control freak. I enjoy it.

Sylvia: hydrangeas are beautiful. I saw one the other day in the forum and it was lovely. It did make me want to paint it.

JoAnn: I have heard from numerous sources that heat can bond the masking fluid to the paper. June's Artist magazine mentions this as well.

Karen: thanks

jfsart7
05-11-2003, 11:34 PM
Great painting!! Good drawing! I did a series of buildings in the downtown area where I live. I was able to learn more in the process. Anyway, I like this pieced. Jaef