PDA

View Full Version : question for DJStar

jackiesimmonds
05-09-2003, 02:05 PM
Hi there DJ.

I have watched your threads about working on suede board, with fascination, and admired your lovely work. And, inspired, I purchased some suede board for myself, made by Arquati.

I enjoyed using it, and produced a quickie pic to try it out - yet another flipping ballet dancer (it's like a drug) - and I really enjoyed working on the board, which reminded me of another pastel board I have used inthe past, cannot remember the name.....maybe Rembrandt........anyway, when I finished, I banged the back of the pic to shake off any loose particles, and was enveloped in a cloud of dust and lost qite a bit of the surface of the picture, to my horror!

I was using quite soft pastels, and stroking on layers (for a semi-transparent ballet dress) quite gently in the latter stages. Do you think this is the reason the pastel came loose so easily?

It reminded me of working on velour, and having this same problem - pastel coming off so easily. I am now concerned that perhaps my technique isn't suited to this surface, as it isn't suited to velour. Pity - I had to buy 8 huge sheets~!!

What do you think? Have you noticed this with your work?

Jackie
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2003/1805-The_White_Dress.JPG

Luvy
05-09-2003, 03:08 PM
Jackie it's beautiful Love the colors you get in those whites. One of these days I'll figure that out.

nancymae
05-09-2003, 04:33 PM
Hi Jackie,

LOVE LOVE LOVE your ballerina!!!! I think it is wonderful that you stick with a subject. I want to try that in my art....but I get distracted by another wonderful flower or landscape.

I use suede mat board.....and I don't have any problems with the pastel coming off, but I don't tap my board either. That may be a problem. I would tap it if I was using Canson, or the other papers, but the pastel, I feel doesn't spread? on the suede mat board.

Anxious to see what Djstar has to say!!!

I think your painting is beautiful!!!

Nancy

flower
05-09-2003, 04:52 PM
Hi Jackie,

After looking at your site and seeing your ballet dancers i am totally impressed, you seem to sum up so much enthusiasm, I can really feel the atmosphere that you bring over, in the wings etc. brilliant, and this pic too, sorry this was not the point of your question but i just had to say what i feel LOL

jackiesimmonds
05-10-2003, 02:33 AM
thanks people. I am slightly irritated by this pic now. As I look at it in a certain light, there is a scratch on the surface of the board, which shows despite the layers of pastel.

Am losing interest gradually in the darn board.............

DJ where are you?

djstar
05-10-2003, 03:15 AM
TRYING hard to do more painting and less wc!
Ok, not like my board at all - but your results are great.
When I work with it, I have almost no dust in the tray. It grabs like glue and I also don't do the charcoal tap to get off excess but they have fallen over on their faces and still left me pictures.
I have also fixed them. Even with soft pastels, but like I say, Terry Ludwigs are such dense pigment sticks, I do not guarantee it with any others.
If you feel it is working like velour or other pastel surfaces, I don't think it is the same stuff.
It actually looks and feels like suede leather. Very soft, not gritty like velour or sanded board. It has a swirly sort of surface too.
What you describe is NOT like mine, although, as you know I am very hit or miss and have a few different kinds. There is one that I have used that is more like velour. It scrubs with hard pastel, a lot of work and leaves more dust, but makes a very delecate feel with the hard.
Honestly, I don't think it is the same stuff. My framer says Cresent and Bainbridge are what they have and I have befriended the framer at the craft store and she says bainbridge also. It is possible the big pond has seperate names for them, but I just wish there were a way to sample others. Don't give up, see if they will go on ebay and hunt down the two names I got.
See where poverty gets you?! I have raided all the stores in the area and am still spreading the word.
I wonder what the cost of shipping would be out there so you can compare notes and maybe track the good stuff down.

The dancers are really wonderful and I do see a lot of bold strokes, but I am on my mom's laptop so it is not as clear. It looks like a bit of compression problems, but it could also be run away chalk...

About the scratch... THAT is one of the big drawbacks to the "found" pieces. Lots of irregularities, but since the pigment grabs so nicely, it almost covers.
You may have grounds for complaint to the framer who sold it... see if you can milk it on grounds of imperfect boards!
I am sorry, and will see if I can do more research here.
Not, HERE in Yuma, but nearer to civilization...
dj*

jackiesimmonds
05-10-2003, 03:44 AM
thanks DJ, I too wonder if I have the same stuff, tho it does have a soft, and swirly surface, as you describe.

If you wouldn't mind, could you pm me with your home address, and I will send you a piece (you can use it!!!) and you could then email me to say if it is different.

Thanks a bunch,
Jackie

BTDogMom
05-10-2003, 12:09 PM
Jackie - This is STUNNING - I love the ribbon on the edge of her ballet dress - AWESOME!!!:clap: :clap:

angeline
05-10-2003, 02:01 PM
Oh wow Jackie another gorgeous dancer.........hope you realise that you are inspiring me to try a dancer soon! :eek: