PDA

View Full Version : A Rusty Old Lantern

painterbear
05-09-2003, 06:47 AM
This is my rendition of a photo by Inkskin in the RIL. I was trying to be a little looser in my approach, but still detailed enough to depict the lantern realistically.

This is 5"x7" painted on Canson 140 lb. cold-pressed paper using paints that were in my pallet already.

Comments and critiques are invited and welcomed.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2003/9833-lanternold.gif

Phillip
05-09-2003, 06:52 AM
Lantern looks great.

The background is a bit to bright for me. I would put in more cooler darks for shadows on the plants that way I think the lantern would than be bought out forward,

M.A.
05-09-2003, 06:57 AM
This looks wonderful.

Flattwo
05-09-2003, 06:57 AM
Hi

The Lamp looks really rusty as it should, I agree the background is causing the viewer a bit of confusion, cooler colour wash maybe?

Regards

Flattwo

artmom
05-09-2003, 06:58 AM
Good painting! Good advice!

Lyn

mhimeswc
05-09-2003, 07:22 AM
This looks just like my camping lantern. Were you in my basement recently?

Michelle

painterbear
05-09-2003, 07:41 AM
Philip, I read your comment shortly after I posted and said to myself, "Self, you know he's right." So I went back in and muted the background with a wash and now the lantern really stands out. Thanks for your wise comment.

Mary-Ann, Flat Two, Lyn, and Michelle--Thanks for looking at my painting and your kind thoughts too.

Michelle--I'll never tell. ;)

Here is the revised version (in RL, the green is more muted than it appears here, not so green, more blue in it, but what can you do with scanners! :mad: ):

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2003/9833-lanternrusty.gif

Phillip
05-09-2003, 07:47 AM
Your welcome painterbear

It's sure made a big difference.
Now there's more distance between the lantern & plants.

It has added depth to the painting.

Well done.

I think cool colors recede & warm colors move forward.

CharM
05-09-2003, 08:41 AM
Sylvia... who would ever think that rust could be beautiful???? After you softened the background, it was just perfect!!! Great job!!!

Strawberry Wine
05-09-2003, 09:35 AM
Sylvia: Excellent rusty lantern. The wash of dark in the background brought the lantern forward.

Gail

pampe
05-09-2003, 10:00 AM
looks great, PB

did you do it "LIVE"?

Annetta
05-09-2003, 10:02 AM
...your subtle changes brought it all together. Wonderful painting Sylvia!! :clap: :clap:

I tried to paint a teakettle awhile back to make it look like copper....PPPBBbbblllllttttttttttttt!!!!!! Great job on depicting the rust!! :D

karenjh
05-09-2003, 10:02 AM
Your lantern is definitely rusty - nice job. And I really like the way you've depicted the glass and the glow of the light. It's amazing what a difference one little wash will do isn't it? Your revision made a nice painting great!

painterbear
05-09-2003, 10:21 AM
Phillip, Thanks again for the suggestion.

Char--I like the look of old rusty things for painting, but rust doesn't stand a chance around here as long as there is Brillo and metal polish.:p

Gail--It definitely made the lantern stand out better.

Pam--Thanks. Not sure what you mean by "live" :confused: Explain, s'il vous plait. (Putting you in the mood for your Paris painting.)

Annetta, One of the colors I used to create the "rust" was Indian Red which I hauled out of retirement after seeing Nandie use it in her painting of Andy's Alley in Provence. It might work for copper if mixed with yellow?

Karen--Thanks for noticing that--in the photo, the glass was totally opaque because of a heavy layer of dust and dirt, so I was completely winging it by making it clear here. :eek:

pampe
05-09-2003, 10:27 AM
Je suis toujours prÍt pour Paris!

did you sit it outdise near the grass and paint it from life?????

painterbear
05-09-2003, 02:04 PM
Oh-h-h, I get it now. ;) Little dense and slow on the uptake today.

This is actually from a photo by inkskin in the RIL, only I changed the table, added a wall, and made the glass clear in the chimney.

I'm not much for sitting outdoors unless there is a screen-in area around me. Hate bugs. :rolleyes:

pampe
05-09-2003, 02:08 PM
okey dokey....got it

then my wondering might be valid

would the grassline show through quite like that?

I'm thinking it would be refracted in some way

Olga
05-09-2003, 03:20 PM
This is very nice, Sylvia. The composition is great and I like the green/rust combination of colors.

Pam might be right about round glass being not so evenely transparent, but I think the yellow glow in the lamp makes it look to me like the distortion that one might expect is there... In any case, I think the lantern (including the glass aprt) looks nice and round.

And does "whatever was on the pallet" mean "I am still using student grade paints but will not admit it" because soeone is ging to yell? (Just wondering....) :evil:

Olga