PDA

View Full Version : Hondo

Danny
05-09-2003, 04:39 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-09-2003/3473_Hondo_OrigonalCritic.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Hondo
Year Created: 1999
Medium: Oil
Surface: Linen
Dimension: 20X26
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
The signs were exactly like you see them. I did go back and added the shadow of the building at the top of the sign.There were two lithographs done of this painting. One is in the CC walker collection and the other is owned by Willie Nelson.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything that might be helpful . All critique is.

Paintonbrush
05-09-2003, 11:32 AM
What a character. Simply stunning work. He has many stories to tell. the only little nit I have is with the feather(?) in his hat? just wasnt quite sure if thats what the white object was. But that is so small. Is this someone you know?

pero lane
05-09-2003, 11:33 AM
I like this one..I usually like this type of painting. The only thing I'd change is the little white feather on his hat....I find it distracts.
Also maybe a little shadow/depth to the shoulder under the clabber girl sign so it won't seem so flat. Other than that I think it's great! Good work!

Danny
05-09-2003, 12:11 PM
Paintonbrush,
This was Hondo Crouch.He was a legend in Texas. One of few real legends while he was alive. He was a humorist, country folk singer, and many other things. He was also a business genius.Hondo was fond of saying, ( I tried to buy Dallas and Dallas wasn't for sale, so I bought Luckenbock.)He actually bought the whole town.He was often the master of ceremonies for the city of Austin, Texas.He has welcomed everyone from Bob Hope to the President of the United States to Austin. Hondo owned the property where Willie Nelson held the first 4th of July Picnics. He was a dear friend of both my friends Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings ,as well as many other entertainers. Hondo founded the Terlinqua World Championship Chili Cook offs. I'll stop here. If you want to know more about Hondo just type in Hondo Crouch in your search engine. There is lots more that time and space won't permit.One other thing I will say is ,Hondo worked his way through the University of Texas on a swimming scholarship when he was a young man. His major was business.He was one of Waylon and Willie's Rowdy Friends :D

Paintonbrush
05-09-2003, 12:25 PM
What a lively man! I am glad I asked. Wish I were one of their rowdy friends...would have been fun to try and keep up! ;-)

Danny
05-09-2003, 01:01 PM
One other note about Hondo. After Willie moved the Fourth of July picnics from Luckinbock ,Hondo decided he was going to play farmer. He owned two pieces of property there. One was a small ( By Texas Standards) place where his home was, the other was a large piece of property that he was going to farm. He would work hard and faithfully all day on his tractor , and late in the afternoon would drop by the old bar for a cold beer or three. Often the bar would be closed , because he would wait too late. This would iratate him and one hot afternoon when he stopped by for a beer the bar was closed. This really pissed Hondo off, so he bought the whole town, Bar and all , so he could get a beer any time he wanted to. (Note)The 4th of July picnics were moved back to Luckinbock. It is the Official home of Willie Nelson's 4 th of July Picnic. It was the last time I talked to Will anyway, which wasn't too long ago. :D

coyote
05-09-2003, 02:18 PM
Thanks for this, Danny. I'm a big Jerry Jeff Walker fan, so I'm familiar with Hondo Crouch. On JJW's CD "Viva Luckenbach", produced after Hondo's death, his daughter reads some of Hondo's writings. A true Texas hero. One time I was in a Chili's Restaurant in California and saw a photo on the wall. I said "Hey, that's Hondo"...the waitress said "That's just some guy at a chili cook-off" :rolleyes: Hell, Hondo INVENTED the chili cook-off!

Very nice work Danny, and an excellent likeness.

Gilberte
05-09-2003, 03:56 PM
I cannot say anything helpful ... you don't need it ! :clap:

Paintonbrush
05-09-2003, 04:45 PM
Hey, next time you see Willie, tell him for me that last time he was in Park City to visit Mr Redford, and play a concert at Sundance, he forgot to hold two tickets for me. ;-)
Maybe he could remember me next time....(you know I'm joking right?)

HRobinson
05-09-2003, 07:19 PM
... detract from the theme of this work. The high contrast of the blue and white sign throw the eyes too far from the focal point. It seems as if his posturing is structured so that the signs can be seen in their entirety. Since all hair is in the yellow family, just a tinge may have added a bit of warmth especially in the daylight. I'm wondering about the black hair on his hand as well but just because I don't recall ever seeing a white haired senior with black hair on their hands doesn't mean it doesn't exist in some folks. I would have to believe then that there is a lack of feasibility in that respect. As I look at the skin tone I see too much white in the face. Again, a lack of warmth. The feather is too close in value to the hat and although the viewer "knows" it's a feather it just doesn't "play" like a feather and perhaps some re-design (or re-coloration) is justified there. I covered his right (our left) eye and he was looking at me. His personality is shining through and that deserves a hat tip. -Harry