PDA

View Full Version : MUFFIN (my hardest work ever!)

chammi kaiser
03-29-2012, 12:11 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2012/39224-119_Muffin_b.jpg

It has taken me nearly three years to do a portrait of my little, scruffy Muffin. I adopted her at the age of 3 months at an animal rescue shelter. I had her for fourteen years before she died. She was such fun, a real character with the most unbelievable energy. Lots of Jack Russel inherited from her pure-bred Mum who had a rather torrid affair with a small fellow of unknown origin, much to her owner's dismay. Only one puppy resulted and that was Muffin. This is done on watercolour paper (hot-pressed) - absolutely not my favourite paper!!! Coloured pencil - FC Polychromos.
Thanks so much for looking. All comments welcome.

Lexycat
03-29-2012, 12:13 PM
Beautiful delicate work Chammi, you are a natural for coloured pencils, I really like this:) :thumbsup:

tommie
03-29-2012, 12:49 PM
You captured her little personality. Very nice work! The eye is great

Bnsmalkin
03-29-2012, 01:26 PM
Funny how time works!!!!

This is terrific!!!!!

Sharon Malkin

David Dowbyhuz
03-29-2012, 01:38 PM
Adorable, Chammi! Bravo! :thumbsup:

skappy
03-29-2012, 01:43 PM
Wonderful work Chammi I love the eye it really tells all the stories and personality of the sweet doggie Those pets they love us and hurt us so much
Robert:cat:

chammi kaiser
03-29-2012, 02:01 PM
Thanks so much Lexy. I always appreciate your input. We are of like minds on so many occasions.

Tommie, Thanks for taking the time to comment. Glad you were aware of her personality. It was sometimes quite overpowering. She had a vey strong will!!!

Sharon. Really appreciate your positive input. Means so much to me as an artist.

Dave, my friend, anything that resembles a compliment from you, is worth a thousand words. You know how much I admire your work. Thank you so much.

My dear friend and fellow student, Robbie. I just love it when you like my paintings or drawings. You are soooo right, pets give us so much joy and pleasure but boy, when they leave us, it hurts badly. Thanks so much.

nickib
03-29-2012, 02:55 PM
So full of character Chammi! I bet you had alot of good times together!!!:clap:Nicki

kasey1
03-29-2012, 04:12 PM
that's beautiful and well done, chammi!

BLove
03-29-2012, 05:09 PM
Adorable, I love that cocked ear on the far side.

tulabula
03-29-2012, 07:38 PM
What a cutie pie! Well done, you really captured her personality!

*AquaMarine*
03-29-2012, 08:02 PM
Oh my, Chammi - what a very, very sweet face. I can see why Muffin stole your heart, and I imagine the feeling was mutual. What a wonderful testimony to her memory.

ginny

jbart
03-29-2012, 09:47 PM
Beautiful portrait of Muffin.

Barb'sArt
03-29-2012, 09:54 PM
Ohhh My! What a gorgeous portrait of your Muffin!
It's so difficult to paint those that we've lost, I know how hard it can be. You've done such a wonderful job on capturing what you obviously loved about her, her sweet, mischievous personality! Great job Chammi!:clap:

birdlady
03-29-2012, 10:26 PM
just beautiful Chammi.. the eye shows such personality and you caught it all. There is a lot of love to be seen looking at this. So hard to do them and I still cant do mine and lost her near 15 years ago. I still pull her photo out to look at and remember what we had. So sorry for you loss and so close to relating to you .

Laurie

chammi kaiser
03-30-2012, 03:30 AM
NICKI - We certainly did - so I understand what you are going through.Thanks for the positive input.:heart:

KASEY - Thank you very much indeed.

BRENDA - She always cocked her ear like that (difficult get the sketch right by the way - cocked ears are a little difficult :( ) It was so cute and when she did it , she got away with murder!! Glad you liked it.

LAURIE - Thanks a lot for the feedback.

GINNY - It warms my heart that everyone 'likes' the way Muffy looks. She was my shadow. Hug.

JIMMIE - Really appreciate the compliment. Very encouraging. Thank you.

BARB - Many many thanks. You are so kind and sweet. Hug.

LAURIE - When I was busy with Muffy's portrait, I must admit I shed more than a tear or two. However, I actually found the process therapeutic. Wonderful memories kept flooding back. It is worth a try, sweetie. You do some lovely stuff and I am sure you will do a great portrait of your old friend.
Hug.

VICKI - You are very kind. Wanted the portrait to have a little bit of a glow so decided to backlight it. Thank you very much indeed.

VickiB
03-30-2012, 03:54 AM
Wonderful cp painting Chammi. Muffin looks adorable, superb light in this piece and a beautiful image to cherish forever. Vicki

Jonnio
03-30-2012, 06:30 AM
Chammi, this is a wonderful portrait! Lots of energy, like she's ready to go!

chammi kaiser
03-30-2012, 08:07 AM
JON - If you want a quiet little lapdog, DON'T choose a Jack Russel terrier. They are always ready to go. This one kept me very fit!! Thanks a lot.

lisapencil
04-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Wonderful portrait Chammi, looks like you're coming along great with CPs. I don't like to use them on water colour paper either. My favourite so far is Fabriano Artisco (I think that's how you spell it). However, I have just started a piece in water colour pencil used wet so I am using watercolour paper for that as I thought it would take the dampness better, seems to be working so far. :cat:

chammi kaiser
04-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Thanks Lisa. I have bought some more Bristol Board which I just love. It is smooth but takes a lot of layers without having to burnish or anything. I did my bulldog on it and it was a real pleasure. Fabriano is great. They make really nice watercolour paper as well. Looking forward to what you come up with.:)

birdlady
04-05-2012, 01:48 PM
wanted to pop in and comment on the WC pencils. I LOVE to work with those pencils and use museum mount board and get along great. I have done a lot of my art with them wet or dry. I do usually put everything down dry then go back and blend with the water.

I really really need to look into that paper and give it a try. Is it expensive? I am on a limited budget , like most of us in here. :)

Chammi I remember that bulldog ...what a great piece and that face was to die for. Such a expression. Whats on your board now. I hope the portrait of Muffin gives you joy and memories of the good times, it was a hard one for you to do.

Gota go see what Lisapencils piece looks like... hope its up anyhow.

Laurie

Judy Manuche
04-05-2012, 06:31 PM
Just lovely, Chammi! A face you just have to love...

wildlifeart89
04-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Lovely work Chammi, your love for this dog shines through this piece, I am very sorry for your loss. The eyes are so full of personality, I love it!:clap:
Paige

chammi kaiser
04-07-2012, 02:56 AM
Laurie, Bristol Board is really not expensive. Cheaper than watercolour paper and really nice. It is fairly smooth but does take a lot of light layers which is the way I like to work, using more pressure as I go along.

Judy. Thanks very much. Glad you like her.

Paige. Thanks for taking the time to comment and for the clap!!:)

JoyK
04-09-2012, 04:17 PM
So glad you had Muffin for so many years. The hair is really well done, and I never had any luck with hot press. It is a very difficult surface, IMO.

chammi kaiser
04-10-2012, 03:20 AM
So glad you had Muffin for so many years. The hair is really well done, and I never had any luck with hot press. It is a very difficult surface, IMO.

Thanks Joy. I was lucky indeed. She was great. She is buried in a little pet cemetery here in Bavaria. It is a wonderful place. No religious things are allowed just a little wooden headboard with a photo of the pet and a few words. It is tucked in a corner of a very large farm, fenced and beautifully kept. We are off today to plant some pansies on her grave and just remember all the happy times.

Karen70
04-13-2012, 09:19 AM
Such a cutie - she looks like she was a real bundle of fun. Just love Jack Russells anyway, beautiful.

chammi kaiser
04-13-2012, 10:48 AM
She was a bundle of fun and also as bundle of energy. You have to be fit to keep up with a Jack Russel. So glad you liked it.