PDA

View Full Version : First Casein Painting

Liricus
03-29-2012, 11:57 AM
Hi! This is my first attempt with casein. Shiva casein on Canson acrylic paper with an under-painting in black India ink. Paper size 16" by 20". As a final "varnish" I've applied a light coat of Krylon UV Archival Varnish satin, which is fairly invisible.
Overall "kind of" satisfied with it, but I regret the choice of black ink for the under-paint, next time will be either sepia or brown-ish. Love casein so far, the right balance between watercolor and gouache in my opinion.

Cheers!

Oops, no image!!!

Liricus
04-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Here is the picture, sorry for the mishap...

Thinky
04-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Wow, it looks so good! Your black underpainting adds to the "serious" feeling of the buildings. A beautiful grey, cold, repetitive feeling evoked by buildings on a cloudy day. I love it! I have never painted in this media and your art inspires me to try some time.

Liricus
04-03-2012, 10:49 AM
Wow, it looks so good! Your black underpainting adds to the "serious" feeling of the buildings. A beautiful grey, cold, repetitive feeling evoked by buildings on a cloudy day. I love it! I have never painted in this media and your art inspires me to try some time.

Thank you Thinky. I'm glad that the feelings I had in mind came through the piece; a cold and overcast late-winter morning in lower Manhattan...

BTW I really like your website, your art is so eclectic! Love the illustrations especially.

M.L. Schaefer
04-29-2012, 07:22 PM
Liricus! So very nice! I love the sky especially and the 1940's look to the large dark building, plus the WONDERFUL job at modeling the details of the building! I would love to see you do a 1940's city scape, with some period cars, etc...! Me, I MUST find out more about Casein!

:heart: Margarete

Merritt
09-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Outstanding Liricus I tend to agree with your thoughts on the black underpainting, however that black does give that feeling of coldness imho.