Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 9x12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
WIP

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
this is what I am doing right now. the orange color will be covered. i just paint the canvas this color when i start out.

does this seem consistant with my other landscapes or is this one too sloppy? i will be adding some thin white tress coming up from the foreground area.

Danny
05-09-2003, 03:54 AM
Looks good to me. I looked at your other work before commenting. Your work has a Cezanne quality about it. About the orange, Water, like in a lake would look nice there, but that's just my opinion.:)

jerryW
05-09-2003, 08:11 AM
many elements are very simmilar,
is it a real scen that you are observing,
is it a construct?
at this point it is separating into layers
less control more connectivity maybe

Wayne Gaudon
05-09-2003, 08:20 AM
does this seem consistant with my other landscapes or is this one too sloppy?

Forget about consistancy with the old. Art is all about discovery. What are you trying to say with the piece? Why did you make this particular painting? How did you plan on achieving your goal? .. just a few questions to ask yourself

I personally don't see anything in this piece but all people are different and for each one who doesn't like it, there is one who will like it.

As an artist you must have artistic desires and a plan to put them down on canvas .. sometimes we succeed and other times we find out just how much we still have to learn. We never learn anything if we don't open up and try. You have your sleeves rolled up and are right in there but you must remember to keep adding to your supply of newly learned moves (positives-mental positions-weapons) or you will run out resources and the forces of doubt will quickly overcome and rob you of all that you have, leaving you wondering why you ever thought you could. Play .. think out how you will develope this painting and why and then set out to find how you will put your plan into action.

Paintonbrush
05-09-2003, 11:37 AM
I especially like the upper right-where you went with that go there again.

pero lane
05-09-2003, 11:45 AM
:) Just paint what you feel...sometimes my best paintings come from that! Always dare to fly in unknown skies!!

HRobinson
05-09-2003, 06:34 PM
... but just barely. What I'm really looking at though in this piece is a unique style in its infancy. Now don't get me wrong -- I don't mean childish. What I mean is that you have caught a glimpse of the same light that shines on the great ones, but only through half-opened eyes. What will you do now but paint another? I'm looking forward to the next one, aren't you? Believe me, the entire art world is and you should be scared numb right now.
-Harry

Lorijo
05-09-2003, 08:31 PM
I like it a lot the way it is. I especially like the little trees against the sky on top the hill. I don't see that here in the flat part of Florida where I live. If the painting were mine, I would extend the path so it went to the left. I would crop the painting where you have it above the orange. I would add some shadows under the orange trees to the left. Make the path a bit wider at the bottom. Paint out the two dark blobs in the middle. Try it on the computer first and see how it looks. Lorijo

bocote
05-10-2003, 02:26 AM
Consistant? The work in itself is perfectly consistant, but compared to your others? doesnt really matter IMO. Sloppy... I dont think so; sloppy is not a word that I see fit to use to critique a painting. When doing my own paintings I get worried about mudding colors which is the closest to sloppy I can think of and you have definetely not done that. This is another nice work.

Compositionally its quite fine. The foreground isnt done yet and I am looking forward to how you complete it.

have fun,

bocote

s-augustson
05-11-2003, 04:32 PM
i think i lost it. not how i wanted. i think i need to paint a new subject and then come back to landscapes. i am trying too hard to do one like the barefoot pond painting i did because it is my favorite.

Lorijo
05-11-2003, 04:37 PM
I think it looks great! Might not be what you wanted but it is fine. Now you need to put it in a frame and if you don't fall in love with it then, put it away for a few weeks and see how you like it after you had a break from it. Lorijo

s-augustson
05-11-2003, 04:59 PM
Thank you Lorijo. I hung beside my favorite painting and I can tell right off what is differernt about this one. The paint is much thicker in this than the landscape I like the best.

A better photo.

s-augustson
05-11-2003, 05:00 PM
this is the one i love. i think it is the best thing i have ever painted. was trying for another.

Lorijo
05-11-2003, 05:13 PM
I like them both, I think I like the one you just did the best though. I like thick paint too, I put my paint on heavy. Have fun! Lorijo