PDA

View Full Version : matte try out

R.Masters
05-09-2003, 01:34 AM
This is my first matte painting. The first image is my attempt-not quite perfect- at altering a photo from summer to winter. The second image is the original photo-actually one of the houses where American Beauty was filmed at. Comments welcome.

R.Masters
05-09-2003, 01:40 AM
original pic

BingoBong
05-09-2003, 01:57 AM
This looks great! That must have been some long hours until you got that result, if I look at all the detailing you have done there.
I have been reading about matte paintings the other day, because of an assignment I took upon me for a small company and I was intrigued how a technique like that could stay in the industry that long. I mean from the beginning of filming they already used and nowadays it has its' electronic version.
Fascinating stuff you have made, I am very curious for your next project.

Greetings,

Martin.

LexJells
05-09-2003, 05:01 AM
The effects of the snow are really good. I hope I donít seem too picky here, but I would suggest changing the color of the sunlight on the house. Right now it reads as a warmish light (like a summer light). Whereas if this were a winter scene, the color of the sunlight on the house would be cooler looking (a more bluish grey) as it comes through cool winter skies.

Lex

R.Masters
05-09-2003, 08:40 AM
thanks.

I made a change in the bright summer lights to look more graysh.
see below.

gealflings
05-09-2003, 12:37 PM
Ahh, yes, that looks fantastic with the cooler light - this is a really cool project! :D

LexJells
05-09-2003, 04:23 PM
Yeah! That has a more wintery feel to it. :)

Laura Morena
05-10-2003, 01:07 AM
It looks great except for the snow on the ends of the branches. Winter branches shed their leaves and don't hold as much snow. Some spindly twigs should hold a bit of snow on the top of the twigs until they taper off and are too small to hold any. Like the spindly fingers of Jack Frost. I have seen my share of winter branches here in Michigan!;)

R.Masters
05-10-2003, 07:40 PM
The tree in the right was a pretty full one with green leaves so it was difficult to mold into a winter tree, but heres an update.

Laura Morena
05-12-2003, 12:11 AM
That looks better...now how about a touch of life like some footprints in the snow walking towards the door* or a snowman?
(*No one ever walks on the shoveled walk....that would be too easy! They always walk across the snowy yard!) Just a suggestion! Looks great!:clap: