PDA

View Full Version : Pulling Hair Out.............

al22
05-09-2003, 12:08 AM
LOL.........have none to pull out cept on the edges..........
This is an arial foto of a Missouri homestead. The owners lived here in the 30's and 40's.......the large house (can you see it.....) burned down in the late 30's and the folks and kids moved into the barn in the front of the picture. During this time they quickly erected the white house behind the big house and soon moved into it..........work began to rebuild the big front farm house..... When it was finished and all moved in..... the white house behind the big house became the chicken coop.... So this ol' timer sez he's lived in everything from a barn to a chicken coop....... I'm working off a bad b/w foto from an areal perspective and am going nutso......not far trip:D:D
The othe rough thing is the sun must have been overhead because very little shadow showing.

Any comments, suggestions, help, critiques would be mucho appreciated.......!!

It's 15x22 on Arches and WN paints...........

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-May-2003/8880-davehomestead.JPG

.................al

Christie
05-09-2003, 12:19 AM
Can't help with the perspective etc, but I like the geberal composition.

The big white barn and the outbuilding beside it look like they are floating. Are they on a hill? If so, more definition on the lead up to them would help.

The lack of shadows would drive me crazy! :)

My father in law was the 11th of 13 kids and was born in a grainery. So everytime my kids complain about their rooms, I refer them to grandpa... :D

Alan Cross
05-09-2003, 01:07 AM
Hi Al the perspective looks pretty good to me but If I were you I would add a light source just to make it more interesting.
Alan :)

lyn lynch
05-09-2003, 02:02 AM
Exactly as Alan said. This is the part about being the "artist". You have this on paper, now throw out the reference, it's work is done.

You know I can't make a landscape, but I think you have all your lights and medium values in place, you are just missing the darks. Decide the path of your sun and make 'em up. This is nothing for you.The big white barn is highest on the hill and your sun could be coming from the left, making it your focal point. Tie in everything else to led to it.

This is different from your usual work and a good stretch. Put your hat back on so good ideas stay in there. LOL

artmom
05-09-2003, 02:03 AM
Al, this is neat! It looks like we are looking at it from the gondola of a hot-air balloon! Yes, a light source and some shadows to ground the road at the barn, and the barn and the building next to it ought to do it. I like the pallete and the view!

Lyn

Kate Mc
05-09-2003, 03:15 AM
Al,

This looks like a good beginning to me. I love the landscape part, but I agree with Christie about the hill.

I would say that the large building on the right (the white one--is it a barn??) is distracting attention from the houses. If it's painted white, then it's great as is, but I suspect that it's a barn, or a building of faded wood. In that case, I'd wash it with a grey made from purple and yellow mixed on the paper to show the colors (does that make sense? I can see it in my mind. This is a great chance to play with colors--faded wood is a lot of fun. I'd also put color on the barn roofs-I think what you're seeing is the reflection off the metal roofs. They are probably either silver/grey or rust/red.

Good luck with this one. The owners will love it!!

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Kate

M.A.
05-09-2003, 05:38 AM
I like it. As mentioned above, a light source would be nice. (and stop pulling your hair out:))

painterbear
05-09-2003, 06:20 AM
Hi Al,

This looks like quite a challenging composition, especially working from such an old reference photo.

Right now, the big barn in the right background draws the eye of the viewer because of its size and position higher in the landscape than any of the other buildings. I like Kate's suggestion about making it look a little more aged and less freshly painted too.

The houses are almost lost amidst all the vegetation even with the wonderful blue roof on the big one. Are they important to your client (seems as if they would be)? Perhaps you could thin out the trees a little or draw the eye to them somehow.

I would also crop some of the top part of the painting, bringing the buildings up in the plane of the painting a little more.

I like the touches of blue in the field across the road from the house with the blue roof.

It will be interesting to see how you develop this.

CharM
05-09-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by fookie
Exactly as Alan said. This is the part about being the "artist". You have this on paper, now throw out the reference, it's work is done.

You know I can't make a landscape, but I think you have all your lights and medium values in place, you are just missing the darks. Decide the path of your sun and make 'em up. This is nothing for you.The big white barn is highest on the hill and your sun could be coming from the left, making it your focal point. Tie in everything else to led to it.

This is different from your usual work and a good stretch. Put your hat back on so good ideas stay in there. LOL

Al, I had to read your story three times!!! LOL! Great story and great painting! Fookie is absolutely right! Put your hat on and do your darks so you can share the finale!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

pampe
05-09-2003, 10:33 AM
*holding her head*

TOO MUCH GREEN!!!!!!!!!

get some variance in there....add shadows (extreme light might be good*

good suggestions above

make that road "dirt"

and then let us see it again

pampe
05-09-2003, 10:33 AM
AND

make some of the buildings RED

mustcreate
05-09-2003, 11:11 AM
I don't want to pull my hair out!!!:p :D

yikes Al

you like a challenge huh?!! lol

perspective good

I like the offset planes and lines of the fields and roads....adds interest.

too much green

yes, needs strong light source and shadows.

if the light came from the right, it would tone down those glaringly white sides of the buildings. just a thought. :)

I'd like to see some bright spatters in the tilled field lower right corner.

let's see how you finish this one off :)

em

pampe
05-09-2003, 02:11 PM
hmmmmm

Em and Pam must not like green, eh?

al22
05-09-2003, 07:31 PM
Thanks all for the suggestions...........will try to implement little at a time.......
Guy has a preconceived idea how it should look.......wish I could get in his head........
I hate to do these.............Wanna do what I like but need to give it a go........
.....................al

pampe
05-09-2003, 07:33 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH

I didn't realize it had a person attached...errrrrrrgh

al22
05-09-2003, 07:37 PM
Ya, fly in ointment...........:D :D :rolleyes:
.....al

hopefulbucky
05-09-2003, 07:40 PM
Al, I really like this painting, reminds me a lot of Wisconsin.

The white barn bothers me but it was more the road than the barn. To me it looks like part of the road (lane) is going right under the barn. I have had to go back and keep looking to see what it was that was bothering me and I think that is what it is.

You have done a really great job and received a lot of good helpful critique.

Anxious to see the finished painting.

rks
05-09-2003, 07:44 PM
Al, I've seen enough of your work to have full faith and confidence in you. You can do this and do it well. Looking forward to seeing the next stage.

Roberta:cat: