PDA

View Full Version : "Storebought Study"

mattlart
05-08-2003, 05:19 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-08-2003/10498_AAMAY_BOUQUET.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: "Storebought Study"
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12x9
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Actually,..I didn't mean to post this anonymously.Clicked on ONE too many boxes:)
My first floral in oil.
Please,..critique the hell out of it...

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Gracias Mucho

Helen Zapata
05-08-2003, 06:31 PM
Yummmmm

Love that slurpy sunflower BEST! I wish I could loosen up with flowers like that.

Helen

woodguy
05-08-2003, 09:39 PM
Scott....What a "RIOT" of color and texture! And I agree with Helen that the SunFlower is way cool. Also, I think that this would be much easier to appreciate standing in front of it...the digital image seems to take some distinctiveness from it....if that makes any sense. Very "Scott-ish" Jim

mattlart
05-08-2003, 11:03 PM
GOOOOD to hear from you Helen:) I've hesitated to even TRY to paint flowers because of two reasons;...they appear to be really tough to do well in oil.(lol,...EVERYTHING has been difficult in the transition from watercolors);.....and because EVERYONE seems to paint flowers. How could I possibly compete with the multitudes that have been painting them for years? Well,..here's my first try.
Thank you for looking:) How have you been?

You know,Jim...; I've been working in such a limited palette in oils that this one was a painting where I could just let loose.
Painting flowers is quite a trip! I feel like a beginner all-over-again! I THINK that's............good. Thank you for stopping by:)
Cheers!

Luzie
05-08-2003, 11:41 PM
Looks like you really enjoyed painting this, when it opened I imagined somebody wildly attacking the canvas and paint flying left and right:D
I love the colors and the looseness (sp), my favorite parts would be the red spots and the upper right, of course with the sunflower:)

reynolds
05-09-2003, 02:03 AM
this felt like one of your nudes...
the flowers feel the same somehow....
or maybe the cow jumped over the moon...
feeling goofy...tonight.
i really like your flowers...

Helen Zapata
05-09-2003, 10:42 AM
I'm doing great, thanks Scott! Been painting like a fiend. :D

I know what you mean about feeling like a beginner. I've felt like a raw newbie since I started painting oil landscapes last October. I mean, I've done them, but not "this" way, and it's a completely new thing for me. Funny knowing you've been painting for years, and suddenly you're starting all over!

You did a great job on your first flowers. Your natural flair still takes over and it's Scott M all over the place. (and no skinny butts, lol)

Helen

painterbear
05-09-2003, 11:02 AM
Hi Scott,

I miss seeing your wonderful watercolors, but enjoy your oils too. Guess I just like your paintings, no matter what medium you use.

I really like the sunflower and the way you've just suggested the rest of the flowers in this riotous bouguet of flowers.

The upper portion of the painting doesn't do much for me, IMHO it looks like you ran out of time or interest once the flowers were done. But, what do I know, I'm still struggling to learn how to paint a loose anything in watercolors. :rolleyes:

Paintonbrush
05-09-2003, 11:38 AM
NIce to see you do floral.

mattlart
05-09-2003, 01:09 PM
Greetings all:

Luzie,...you've pretty-much described the action while painting this little floral.I got lost in it. The only difficult thing was.....knowing when to stop:evil: :D Best Wishes to you......

Reynolds,..how have you been? I've been thinking about my home back in Nevada City lately,...;how much I loved the area...;the relative tranquility;..my organic garden,.....lol;I do believe that I'm a Northern Californian at heart.Ah,...daydreaming;) :p Anyway,....yes,..not a skinny butt in site! seems like whatever I paint;..there is a "Scott-ish" quality to it,..for better or worse. Cheers!

Helen,...you country music lovin' fiend..:) :D :evil: :confused: :angel: ! AS i was always told by my mom and dad;..variety makes the world go round;) So, anyway..you can relate to the interestingly strange process of changing mediums and subjects periodically......Ya know,..at one time, I could crank out the same subjects(lol,..almost the same PAINTINGS over-and-over again,....sell them,..and not get bored)
That was probably about 3500 paintings ago,.. though!;) Cheers

Painterbear;,,...in some ways, I miss watercolor painting,;..in that it was just so freeflowing and easy for me:)
On this painting I intentionally divided the painting into two different areas...: the top being "passive",..while the bottom being "Active". I had been experimenting after reading a new book by Dan McCaw (oil painter). I think it probably was a good idea not to go too crazy with the top portions,..as this is a pretty busy painting. Thanks for visiting!:p -S

Nice to be trying,..Diane:) I understand that you and Cath are gonna be spending some time together. Should be a..............hoot. Best Wishes,-S

coulter
05-09-2003, 03:06 PM
Glorious Scott! The sunflower POPS!

There is such depth in the lower half, I have to believe the painting in person is that way in the upper half as well.

Do another!!

Mark

Gilberte
05-09-2003, 03:49 PM
The colors are magic ...... super-magic !

Alan Cross
05-09-2003, 09:59 PM
Hi very nice for your first floral. I still like the ones of your girlfriend best!
Alan :)

pampe
05-09-2003, 11:38 PM
great depth and movement

colors rock too!

bocote
05-10-2003, 02:07 AM
I'm very particular on what I like hanging on my walls and this is definetely something I'd put in my main room. Some people buy art to match their sofa, but this piece is something that is far beyond that and would look premium anywhere.

very good use of the canvas and composition is great. Each color seems to have a pair and they talk together and hang on to each other to capture the viewer.

nice work,

bocote

mattlart
05-10-2003, 12:09 PM
Good Morning Mark......!
Check out this snow.....:evil: Should make for a MUCH more colorful and interesting landscape in the area this spring and summer. I'm thinking that you and I should go out together and shoot some photos for painting................:D

As a flower afficianado par-excellence Gilberte,..I certainly appreciate your positive comments. Merci.-S

I know Alan,.. I know. There will definitely be more paintings of my girlfriend posted in the future. LOL!!!!-Cheers
Thank you, Pam. Your hard work is paying off, as well...;)

The ultimate compliment, Bocote. Thank you. You obviously have superb taste,LOL!!!! Best Wishes to you. Cheers,-Scott:p

coulter
05-10-2003, 02:59 PM
Hey Scott, I was up all night checking out the snow :( I was trying to save what I could of our maple, what a weird time, lightning flashing in the sky, snow falling in wet sticky clumps. About every five minutes or so there would be a BANG and another tree limb from one of the trees in the neighborhood would come crashing down. I was standing under our tree pushing a broom up into the limbs to try and knock the snow off and boom a big limb came down a few feet away, so after that, in frustration I stood out from under the tree and threw the broom up at the tree to knock the snow off until it got stuck in the branches, I then used the leaf rake and it got stuck too! Can't wait to try and explain that to the tree guy LOL! In the end I think the tree will live :)

Don't get me wrong, I loooove the moisture! LOLOL!!! It's an adventure living in the west. You're right, it's going be beautiful with all this water, pick the time and let's go. Don't we also have to get out with our easels for some plane ire? :evil:

I was thinking, what about freeing your landscapes up like this? It would be pretty unusual.....:D

Mark

artbabe21
05-10-2003, 10:20 PM
How can I miss this much being gone only 3 days? Yes, Diane & I hada great time, got to see all her glorious paintings all over her home, like a gallery walk in itself. The four of us went to dinner at this mexiacn food resturant...it was like I have always know her...:))

Now to the painting....way cool Scott!! I love this...........good to move around to different subjects and your flowers are so loose & nice all but your focal.......please do MORE!! You owe me email ;)

somerset
05-10-2003, 11:47 PM
Cathleen said it best & 1st, GRRR. Nice, loose, all with your focal.
So of course we want more.

mattlart
05-11-2003, 01:01 PM
LOL!

Mark,....your story is especially hilarious to me;....as I've done almost exactly the same thing;..getting brooms,..rakes,..etc. caught in tree limbs.Pati and I were out-and-about town yesterday;..and I've yet to see as many limbs down on the ground in the 27-odd years that I've lived in Denver. Almost every house,..with very few exceptions,..had large piles of limbs and branches around their front, side, and back yards. Spring snow!
Our weather here now is... freakish.
I think that a Friday might be perfect for a morning out photographing, or painting.When your fund drive is done,......let's do it. IF I were to paint entire landscapes like this;..they would be unusual,..but on second look,..Nah,....lol. Cheers..;)

Cath,...in some ways;..you and Diane seem to be two-of-a-kind;)
I'll bet you had LOTS to talk about. And your husbands made the best of the situation by tuning all the "artspeak" out. LOL,..true?
I'll write soon. Best Wishes....

Somerset,...: talk about insightful! YOUR comments are always RIGHT ON THE MARK! Thank you for visiting......-S

doctorkoan
05-11-2003, 01:25 PM
Like everyone else, I loved the "drippy" motif in this piece. Your composition generally helped this out as much as the thick, literally dripping technique. Gret job! I've illustrated how my eyes "dripped" down the piece with the green arrow.
Along the way though, my eye got pulled away from the payoff (the sunflower) by the 3 short almost inorganic diagonal strokes that I've circled in red. I'm not saying that shapes like that don't belong in the compostion. I'm just saying that they are very pronounced elements that interrupted the flow of the piece at its critical moment.

mattlart
05-11-2003, 08:14 PM
Greetings Doc (pardon the informality,...;) ),
Welcome to Wet Canvas. !
.....And I welcome your critique;..part of which I've taken into account;.....................and I've made a minor change in the lower right-hand corner.
I understand your point as far as the "diagonals" in the red circled area. Digital reproduction,..and it's inaccuracy makes those strokes appear much more prominent on your screen.
In reality;...they are very subdued,..and don't have the same distracting effect from the "payoff";)
Thank you for taking a peek here,..and, once again,.........welcome.

Dyin
05-12-2003, 01:24 AM
I'm pretty new around here and not familiar with your other work so this is just on this piece alone. I really love the colors, the looseness and the strength. In my eyes I think it would have been better without the light colors in the upper left. I think if this area was darker it would bring out the gorgeous sunflower even more, I found myself being drawn to the upper corner when I really wanted to rest my eye on the sunflower. Hope that makes sense. I love the boom! boom! boom! feeling I got looking at it...these are not delicate little flowers, this is a riot of nature!

mattlart
05-12-2003, 11:51 PM
Greetings Dyin!
Welcome. This was really an experimental little study for me;..not to be taken too seriously.
"In person" the sunflower is more prominent,..although my eyes do tend to move around the painting.
A lovely description,..yours. A riot of nature! I love that. Thank you.....-S

mcknight
05-14-2003, 09:13 PM
I love it. The loose and chaotic mix of textures, shapes and colours is surprisingly well connected. Everything on the canvas looks full of intention.

Dave