PDA

View Full Version : "Storebought Study"

Anonymous
05-08-2003, 05:02 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-08-2003/10498_AAMAY_BOUQUET.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: "Storebought Study"
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12x9
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I really don't paint flowers.......but they just are so seductive:)They CALL and WHISPER to me in their clear plastic wrappers at Safeway.........
Anyway,..I'm a sucker for a pretty face.
It's my first attempt at florals in oil.
Critique the hell out of them, please:)

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Thank you:)

jerryW
05-08-2003, 08:51 PM
all your paintings are seductive.
that is a habit you are being rewarded for.

did you accidentally press anonymous?

it is signed prominently.

pero lane
05-09-2003, 11:22 AM
Overall I like it though I'm not partial to florals myself. It seems the upper half of the painting & the bottom half are two seperate entities. Perhaps a touch of the sunflower color above or just a little "structured" strokes above? Just enough for balance.
Great job !

Paintonbrush
05-09-2003, 11:22 AM
Storebought? You mean the flowers?
This is all good.....yes, its very hard for you to hide. I think flowers look good on you. Keep painting them!

gillyvu
06-06-2003, 11:05 PM
Such emotion, I usually am not a fan of the flowers, I think they're almost an obvious choicr. But, when they are done with such beautiful brushstrokes and vibrant colours. I see a future Van Gogh! Hopefully you won't chop your ear off though!

HRobinson
06-07-2003, 09:53 AM
... repugnancy of the signature, it looks like a work that's hangable anywhere. -Harry

Wayne Gaudon
06-07-2003, 11:10 AM
seems we've seen this one before :D .. great stuff as usual only you forgot to put my purple blue in the core of the sunflower LOL

Later.

artbabe21
06-08-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by HRobinson
... repugnancy of the signature, it looks like a work that's hangable anywhere.

Harry, I sometimes wonder what you're so angry about...:rolleyes:

Scott, I admire these free brushstrokes and luscious color & hope to learn how you do this so faultlessly!

HRobinson
06-08-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by artbabe21

Harry, I sometimes wonder what you're so angry about...:rolleyes:

I don't mean to come off angry. In fact, I'm a very optimistic person. I can and will be cynical though (especially of that I see as a distraction to a commendable work) because I've spent more than 30 years in studying the humanities in an effort to try and figure out why I like certain things. Now, I not only know what I like, I also know why most of the time. I can also refuse to split hairs between tact and honesty especially if it's just an opinion of an anonymous submission. Isn't that why people want anonymity in the first place? Anyway Cathleen, when someone requesting a "... critique the hell out of it ..." reads that the only problem that someone is having is with the signature -- first floral or not -- is that such a big deal? P.S. I also reserve the right to be loveable too. -Harry

artbabe21
06-08-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by HRobinson
I don't mean to come off angry. In fact, I'm a very optimistic person. I can and will be cynical though

Perhaps cynical is more where I was going with this...I am not only referring to this post which at the most you could find the sig to be offensive!

lol...this work is not anonymous to any of us who live in this forum... I think he hit the wrong button, but the work is in a gallery so nothing is going to be changed.

I guess I just never see many crits from you that have any real kindness in them, when you get your crit hat on...IMO...yes, it IS your crit, your opinion and you are entitled to it...I always try to remember everyone has feelings and there is a way to get a point across with kindness... none of us are professional critiques here :D

Would like to see more of your loveable side :)

Ruth
06-08-2003, 10:44 PM

....Would like to see more of your loveable side :)

Go read what he wrote to me in my "Magnolias" post about a week ago :D

Back on topic:
The sunflower is my favorite part of this painting, and I like the energy of the brushstrokes.

Ruth

HRobinson
06-09-2003, 02:07 PM

Would like to see more of your loveable side :)

Well darlin', if you blow me a kiss I'll catch it, but if you throw me a snake I'll decapitate it. Sincerely, Your Huggy Bear, - Harry

mattlart
06-10-2003, 10:36 AM
WELL.......................

I was surprised to see this goofy little thing popping up again;..but,..as long as it's here.........
It was not originally supposed to be posted anonymously. I checked one too many boxes,lol.

However,..there have been some amusing responses;..so I'll thank all of you who have commented;..and of course;..a thank you to Cathleen....; you're such a sweet and loyal friend....

:D
Your critique was interesting, Harry.....;but struck me as a bit odd.
"Largesse" is defined as generous,..and also as a "liberal giving to, or, as if to..an inferior"
The application here in a negative form eludes me;..but still interesting to hear as a somewhat esoteric critic adjective.
Finding the signature "repugnant",...well now,..that's just damned FUNNY. Have we met personally?;) Certainly,..that might explain your reaction to my signature,...LOLOL!!!
Otherwise,..somewhat.......inexplicable. Nevertheless,..thanks for your comments.Cheers,-Scott