PDA

View Full Version : Kolinsky brushes

imahappy
05-08-2003, 02:46 PM
I just found this, and maybe others have too, but I would like to know if this is a good price/site: http://www.kolinskyartbrushes.com/
Introductory set of 5 brushes: Rounds #0, #2, #4, #8 and Flat #4 for $27.00 (shipping included in this price).

If you want to buy for yourself (I couldn't wait and did order today), go to website and click on red lettering that says "Kolinsky Introductory" next to The Artist Magazine logo.

pampe
05-08-2003, 03:12 PM
where do you see $27.00?

The set is $82 on my screen....:confused:

daveshattuck
05-08-2003, 03:17 PM
i just looked too go to the bottom left area by scrolling down. under the artist magazine (which is in red letters) click onto the introductory offer. up comes the 27 dollar price

dave

pampe
05-08-2003, 03:19 PM
ya, I got it , too

BUt I don't trust it...like to see and touch

Bought some Kolinsky brushes like this on EBAY

THEY ARE horrible

So, once burned.......:crying:

imahappy
05-08-2003, 03:28 PM
Sorry, to hear about your experience, Pam. Hope it doesn't happen to me too. I will let you know when I receive them, but being a beginner, I am not sure I will know the difference between real or fake.

imahappy
05-08-2003, 03:30 PM
Site comes with this:

Art Brushes Store 30-Days Money Back Guarantee:

1) If you are not satisfied with the shape of the hair or have ordered art brushes of the wrong size - please, return them to us - we will issue a refund directly to your credit card;

2) If you have painted with the brush and are not satisfied with its quality - please, return it to us - we will issue a refund directly to your credit card. Nonetheless, please, keep in mind that if you bought many art brushes we can issue a refund for the whole order only if you have tried only one art brush with paint;

3) We issue refunds within 2 business days after receiving the art brushes;

4) Shipping charge is not refundable;

5) In conclusion, we would like to mention that since we sell highest quality art brushes the refund rate for our store is quite low (around 1% of the total number of orders shipped).

Lise
05-08-2003, 05:17 PM
Don't know this brand. $27 is certainly a good price for such a set. Sometimes you've gotta take a plunge. Hope they turn out to be great. You will know!

Sunshine_Amy
07-12-2003, 11:56 PM
Has anyone ordered these yet? I was about to order my first Kolinsky, and then saw this post. 5 brushes for less than the one I was about to get?! Sounds good to me (if the quality is good)!

Bubba's Mama
07-13-2003, 08:49 AM
I think y'all need to read up on brushes. Kolinsky is not the BRAND, but the type of animal whose hair is used to create the brush. All sorts of quality of Kolinsky - you get what you pay for.

Pay attention to Pampe!! This price is too good, probably vastly inferior brushes.

IMHO, of course.

Susan

Lady Rando
07-13-2003, 09:08 AM
Ley us know how they are when you get them, please. I am wanting to order brushes but will wait until I see what you think of them.

Thanks for the info. :)

mpopinz
07-13-2003, 10:26 AM
The all around credo - you get what you pay for!!!

Sunshine_Amy
07-13-2003, 06:22 PM
Well, I've researched all over, and have not been able to find anything saying NOT to buy these brushes. No warnings on any forums, or anything...

So I'm going to be the guinea pig here, and give it a go. If Kolonok stands by it's word, it has an "unconditional 30 day guarantee" on all of it's brushes. They would have to be very sucky for me to bother returning them, though: $29.95 is not a bad price for 5 brushes, even if they're only average quality. If they are indeed high-end brushes, I'll be in 7th heaven! (ie. Series-7-Heaven, ha ha.)

I've just placed my order. I'll give you all the scoop when I get them!

imahappy
07-14-2003, 01:41 PM
I did purchase them and took the to art store and asked the expert there his opinion. He said he believed them to be a good deal and appeared to be genuine. I used one once and a couple of hairs fell out. Is that normal? Don't know. Haven't been painting much so not sure how they will stand up. Will let you know as I use them more.

Sunshine_Amy
07-17-2003, 05:51 PM
All right everybody, the word is in. (I see that Imahappy has also reported on the brushes, similar findings.) Here's my full review.

First off, the customer service for this online store was great. They shipped my order the first business day, and I got it two days later. The price is now $29.95 including shipping, for the set of 5 brushes.

The brushes themselves are...
Very decent! Of the 5 brushes I received, 4 of them were good quality Kolinsky rounds, sizes 0, 2, 4, and 8. I am very pleased with these brushes. The 5th was a Kolinsky flat, which was another story altogether, I'll get into that later.

I went to a small art store in my area, where the knowledgeable owner of the store is available for questions. I showed him the brushes and talked with him in depth. All in all, he was impressed at the quality, and said it was a good deal indeed. I asked him if he had any Winsor and Newton Series 7 brushes that I could compare them to (these having a reputation as reliable, top quality Kolinsky's). He had two of these behind the counter (he doesn't normally stock them, as he feels they are overpriced), and another brand of high end brushes. I used both brands for comparison.

The hairs of the brushes, and the way they were set into the brush, and the way they felt in use (to me), the Kolonok round brushes compared perfectly to the Series 7 and other high end brushes! So that's the good news, and very good news, I'd say. In other words, in terms of actual USE, and under scrutiny of the hairs, the Kolonok Kolinsky brushes (round brushes only) would have been difficult to distinguish from the Series 7 in a blind test. The only difference (regarding the brush hairs) that was detectable to the owner was that one of the W & N brushes appeared to the owner to have a slightly finer point than the closest Kolonok brush (literally a hair or two's difference). It took me a good amount of staring to see this at all. But, to be fair, the Kolonok brush was one size up from the W & N brush, so this is perhaps a moot point.

Now, in terms of long term quality and reliable craftsmanship, there were a few points that definitely counted against the Kolonok...

The biggest one was noticeable in the size 4 Kolinsky Flat they sent me. The hairs along the flat edge where irregular (in a regular sort of way). That is, a fair portion of the hairs extended beyond the rest, resulting in a serrated edge, rather than a perfectly flat edge. Also, there was one point in the brush where the hairs had a tendency to separate slightly, leaving a small gap. These things indicate a far less reliable degree of quality protection and craftsmanship overall in the company. This disparity was not evident in any of the rounds I received. Perhaps they are easier to manufacture (and, indeed, I was quite pleased with these). But the flat brush did not compare at all it's more expensive counterparts.

The second, less major point (to me), is relative to all the brushes, and has to do with the juncture where the metal meets the wood handle. The metal sleeves on the Kolonoks are crimped, or pressed into the wood (typical of more affordable brushes), rather than molded to fit wood that has pre-made grooves. In the long term, this has more potential to loosen.

One thing that we could not verify by looking at the Kolonok's, was what kind of glue is used. It remains to be seen how well the hairs will stay in. But my impression, from what the man at the store said, was that for watercolor brushes this is less of a concern than, say, for oil brushes, where harsh solvents and chemicals may dissolve lesser glues.

In the end, I got exactly what I'd hoped to get. A highly functional set of Kolinsky's at a very affordable price, even when compared to middle-range brushes. (I was about to buy a $30 size 8 mid-range Kolinsky, when I found this post. Now I have three more brushes for the price, so I'm very pleased.) As regards the disappointing flat brush: I write this off as a part of the deal.

Incidently, what I did with the flat (and have done with other cheapo flat brushes) is trim the edge flat with good, sharp scissors. I do this three times, to get all the offending hairs: once while the hairs are straight out, once while they're angled up, and once while they're angled down. I trim off only the ones that protrude from the bulk of the hairs, a miniscule amount of trimming that makes a big difference. Functionally, this has worked surprisingly well for me. I've never owned a top of the line flat, but I have a mid range one, and the results are comparable (except for that split I mentioned before, where the hairs separate a bit on this particular brush).

Phew! Well, there you have it.

al22
07-17-2003, 06:00 PM
thanks for the in depth evaluation.....
.........al

sweetbabydill
07-17-2003, 11:43 PM
Thanks Amy for
the indept analysis of the brushes.
I had seen the ad and was wondering
if they would be good quality or not.
Thanks again.
Carolyn

Sunshine_Amy
07-23-2003, 11:14 AM
Your welcome Carolyn and Al.

A few recent notes on the brushes:

Not a single hair has fallen out on any of them yet.
I tried out a size 8 Series-7. It was substantially bigger than the size 8 Kolonok! But the Kolonok has a nice point that I definitely prefer over the Series-7's rounded tip. After playing around with this, and some other high end brushes once again, I left feeling very happy with my brushes still. :)
The Series 7 hairs were lighter in color. This may have been the case with the others, too, I wasn't really looking at the color, but the performance aspects of the brush hairs.

That's all I can think of...
Hey, if anyone buys the larger set of brushes from this place ($89.99), let us know how they are! That set appears to have most of the same brushes as the smaller set, plus 3 large brushes, and a small liner brush. The large brushes include a Kolinsky round size 14, and a Siberian Squirrel Mop size 6! (Also a large flat, which I don't expect much of.) If those two are good quality, I may buy that set as well, just for those!

Sue Galos
07-23-2003, 01:53 PM
Amy - how springy are these brushes when you are painting with them? I have 2 rather expensive sables that I recieved as gifts, a size 12 wn series 820 which I think cost about $90 canadian and a size 10 elantee series 7. They are sloppy, more like a squirrel hair mop - no resiliency or spring therefore I hate them and have hesitated buying any others.

Ketze
12-09-2003, 12:15 AM
just an update for those folks who are interested. A couple of months back I bought the $80 Inspiration set & they are beautiful brushes! I had a red sable smallish round prior to this & have chucked that one in the bin now I know what a good brush is like! I had no idea! Anyway I love them. The only negative is as another poster said one of my flats is slightly serrated. Nothing a good sharp pair of scissors cant fix.

One more thing. I also ordered 3 synthetic brushes they offer. The fan is completely unusable! When wet the fibres clump together into 4 thick clumps! I think the ferrule isnt crimped correctly. It would cost me more in postage than the brush was worth to return it but that is something to keep in mind. The other synthetics were nice.

Sunshine_Amy
12-11-2003, 07:11 PM
Hi Sue, sorry, I just saw your question. (only 5 months later, but hey...)

These are not sloppy brushes. If they tried to make very long haired brushes with this hair, it could be sloppy, but these have good proportion.

Devon Aly
01-16-2004, 10:23 AM
I'm new to WC and wanted to say thanks for this thread!
I had seen a sale on ebay for kolinksy watercolour brushes with a start price of 29.99 for 6 brushes.
thought it looked too good to be true!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:
a bit of research has shown they are really really cheap ones from a UK supplier and the total sale value would only be 15!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
have now found a UK online art supplier with a 50% sale and have bought some hopefully half decent brushes!
just getting back into the swing of painting after quite a few years being too busy working!!!!!
so thanks for making me do more research! :)

Aly

GOwenStudios
01-16-2004, 07:16 PM
Hi All,
I have been looking at the Kolonok brushes for some time, but never have tried them. What I use is Creative Mark Kolinsky brushes. They are more expensive than the Kolonok they are a good deal. I have been very satisfied with them. They perform well. You can order them at www.jerrysartarama.com

GOwenStudios
01-19-2004, 01:32 AM
Has anyone tried Kalish Kolinsky brushes? If so, how are they?