PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop equivalent tool in Painter?

ub52
05-08-2003, 01:40 PM
Hello All,

I've been lurking here off and on for while, but this is my first post. To give you a little background I primarily work with 3D tools, specifically Lightwave. I've used Photoshop almost exclusively for all my texture painting work. Recently however, I did the upgrade to Painter v8 and have been trying to come to grips with the differences. In general I love the program, but I'm having a little difficulty in one area. I realize the programs are intended for different audiences, but there is a lot of crossover. Ok, what I'm looking for specifically is an equivalent tool in Painter to Photoshops Smudge tool. The closest I've found is a brush variant using the "Plug-in" method and Sub-catagory "Diffuse Pull Brush". I find the diffusion distracting and would like to eliminate that to get smoother operation out of the brush. Is this possible?

Thanks,
-ub52

P.S. If you would like to see some examples of my work click the following links.
Portrait of my daughter (http://members.cox.net/rlandry52/MyDaughter.jpg)
Portrait of Jack Nicholson (http://members.cox.net/rlandry52/finaljn.jpg)
Doodle: A character I'm working on. (http://members.cox.net/rlandry52/DoodlePosed.jpg)
WIP on a Scifi vehicle (http://members.cox.net/rlandry52/speedster.jpg)

dk_art
05-08-2003, 02:30 PM
I dont know how exactly the Photoshop smudge brush does things but try looking at things such as these

1 ... Blenders / smear
2 ... Blenders / smudge
3 ... Blenders / just add water

ub52
05-08-2003, 04:46 PM
David, thanks for your reply.

In Painter, the brush variants you mention all work well and identical to Photoshops "Smudge" tool. However, only when you are working on a single layer or a multilayer doc with "Pick Up Underlying Color" turned on. If you turn off "Pick Up Underlying Color", the brush replaces transparent pixels on that layer with the color white.

In contrast, when working in a multilayer Photoshop doc, if I use the "Smudge" tool on a layer which has a mix of colored and transparent areas it respects the transparency. That is to say if I use the "Smudge" tool on the border between colored and transparent pixels the transparency is mixed in just like is was a color. If I've failed in my feeble attempts to explain this with words maybe I can post some images to help clarify. Let me know.

- ub52

BingoBong
05-11-2003, 04:48 AM
You sinner. You got caught by the demons of other programmes. Photoshop is the king and leader on the market and not entirely for nothing.
It's all upto you to switch whatever programme to another, but please do not call it an upgrade. Photoshop is the master of them all, they were pretty much the first. The rest are just derivates from it.
Anyways, enough chitchat about software. Lightwave huh? I use 3D Studio Max and I have heard that Lightwave has some interesting features on creating people and animals. Could you tell me more about that?

Martin Hoevenaar.

P.s. (well P.s. says it all. PhotoShop)

dk_art
05-11-2003, 12:02 PM
"Photoshop is the king and leader on the market and not entirely for nothing. "

"Photoshop is the master of them all, they were pretty much the first"
----------------------------

Your post offered nothing to attempt to answer this poster's question. Why do you feel you should go around telling everyone who uses other programs that their choices and preferences are inferior?

Painter offers tons of things Photoshop doesn't ... if you don't like it, then don't use it. But coming here and labelling everything non-photoshop as inferior has the effect of labelling everyone using non-photoshop programs as making inferior results which is absolutely untrue.

I hope you figure out a solution ub52 ... your post at the critical depths site seems to have a produced a few insights into this.

ub52
05-12-2003, 01:26 AM
David,

I did some poking around with different brush variants and think I've found something that at least behaves the way I want but still doesn't give the degree of smoothness I would like. I love the ability to turn almost any brush into a blender simply by setting the Resat to 0 and cranking up the Bleed percentage. The replacement of transparent pixels with white is the only down side that I can see. As I said though I did find a variant which gives the behavior I speak of but is not as smooth as I would like.

Make a new brush variant from from one of the airbrushes. I copied the Soft Airbrush 20. In the Brush Creator under the General settings tab, set both the Method and Subcatagory to Drip and close the Brush Creator. Now in the properties panel at the top of the UI set the opacity for this brush to 0% and crank the grain up to 100%. Using this brush on a layer with with transparent areas will allow you push colored pixels around on that layer without replacing transparent with white. You can decrease the Grain amount to get a smoother transition.

ub52

dk_art
05-12-2003, 02:16 AM
Hey , I just tried that and it's pretty good. I have it set at 6% grain and it smudges less extremely. I'll have to keep that variant

You should post this at the critical depth board

update ... there I just saved it in the Blenders catagory and named it "No_white smudge"

ub52
05-12-2003, 11:06 AM
You should post this at the critical depth board

Ya, I added a description of it to the thread I have there as well.

-ub52

doodler
05-17-2003, 02:51 AM
One thing you could do is save it out in Painter as a .PSD file, and go back and forth between the two programs. I find myself doing that a lot. Just make sure you're not doing anything fancy with layers (masks, sets, etc) because they don't translate cleanly between the programs.