PDA

View Full Version : How to make a rich black?

ArtWench
05-07-2003, 11:03 PM
I'm planning a painting of a penguin in snow and am wondering if I can build up color under a black wash to give it richness & depth? This piece is a gift for a friend and so I'd really like to make it special; but, I'm having problems with (of all things!) the colors found within the white & black of the penguin.

pampe
05-07-2003, 11:32 PM
Winsor Blue
Winsor Violet
Aliz crimson
Thalo green

Christie
05-07-2003, 11:40 PM
Ultramarine blue and burnt umber gets pretty dark too.

Gotta try Pampe's recipe though...

artmom
05-07-2003, 11:44 PM
Good advice! Good luck!

Lyn

noreenemc
05-07-2003, 11:48 PM
Indigo (Daniel Smith) and French Ultramarine added to Burnt Sienna gives a nice highlight. I think of it as "superman black"

ArtWench
05-07-2003, 11:51 PM
Pam: Thanks! I do so love your colors so I think this will be a wonderful recipe!

Christie: Thank you so much! I think I will do a practice panel first and play with these two combinations to see what I get.

Lyn: Yep! We have some wonderful people here on WetCanvas!

Oh, I am rapidly becoming addicted to the watercolors! I lack skill and subtlety as of yet; but, the possibilities are enchanting! If you had told me that I would attempt this project in watercolor a year ago, I would have told you "not a chance!" But I am just having too much fun with them!

mchew
05-07-2003, 11:52 PM
daley rowney's indigo + sepia

ArtWench
05-07-2003, 11:56 PM
Thank you so much, Noreen & Marvin! Can't wait to start playing!

Christie
05-07-2003, 11:59 PM
See, you ask this bunch for opinions and get endless variations on a theme. :D

ArtWench
05-08-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Christie
See, you ask this bunch for opinions and get endless variations on a theme. :D

LOL! Oh yes! And that is why I love 'em! ;)

madmum
05-08-2003, 03:06 AM
Pams colours sound perfect for a penguin!

Cath, when you asked for colours to go UNDER a black wash, is that what you are going to do? If you are planning to go over the colours with pure black, I'm begging you not to! There's no need at all, you can make beautiful, rich darks if you use lots of layers.

I'm a huge fan of Indanthrene blue now, it's a little like FUB but darker, and the same pigment is used in Indigo, but indigo has other colours added and can be a bit flat. I'm thinking a purple and blue penguin is just right :D

Ruth

Lise
05-08-2003, 05:56 AM
You might like to try a thin glaze of a transparent yellow under the black mixture (eg alizarin crimson and thalo green) to give it a bit more of a glow.

ArtWench
05-08-2003, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by madmum
Pams colours sound perfect for a penguin!

Cath, when you asked for colours to go UNDER a black wash, is that what you are going to do? If you are planning to go over the colours with pure black, I'm begging you not to!

..... I'm thinking a purple and blue penguin is just right :D

Actually, after I read Pam's list, I started thinking that black would deaden it.... So, no. I think I will try to go for the darks minus the black.

And purple is ALWAYS a good color for anything! LOL!

Thanks for the tip!

ArtWench
05-08-2003, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by Lise
You might like to try a thin glaze of a transparent yellow under the black mixture (eg alizarin crimson and thalo green) to give it a bit more of a glow.

Thank you, Lise! I'll enjoy playing with these wonderful ideas!

rapolina
05-08-2003, 07:59 AM
I suggest somthing different: black ink (permanent or not, depending on the use you want to do) or sumi-e ink, that is sold in solid barrette and give a wonderful black (such es in japanese writing) that goes very well with watercolors, as it is transparent.
i wait for your penguins!!!

ciao, rapolina.:cat:

pampe
05-08-2003, 08:48 AM
Hey, cath

I didn't mean to mix all those

Just glaze with them...you asked how to make your black "richer....

If you put a "black" in there..it wil deaden it

ArtWench
05-08-2003, 12:46 PM
Rapolina... Thank you so much for the suggestion!

Pam.... Sorry if I sounded like I was going to mix it all together! LOL! That would make some rather interesting sludge! No, I have a little watercolor pad where I keep my "recipes" for color and so that is what I meant in referring to your list. I like the idea of the glaze and have discovered that you can get some beautiful effects that way and like it better than mixing. :D So no sludge!

bswilson1147
05-09-2003, 09:11 AM
Dark Glows, Getting the Most from Darks
a. mix dark colors from pure pigments to get luminous, bright, and powerful darks instead of purchasing dark paint

b. velvet black mix alizarin crimson with Winsor green

c. clean, clear brown
(i) aureolin yellow + rose madder + viridian
(ii) aureolin yellow + light red + viridian
(iii) aureolin yellow + cadmium red + viridian
(iv) aureolin yellow + Indian red + viridian

CharM
05-09-2003, 10:14 AM
Cath... I'm glad you asked this question... I have started a recipe book because I always forget what people recommend...

Rosemarie
05-10-2003, 05:05 AM
It is all ways interesting to read how everyone mix paint. In the sticky thread http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72121

you can find this thread about black colour.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1464&highlight=mixing+black

Looking forward to see the painting!

ArtWench
05-12-2003, 05:54 PM
Thank you so much bswilson1147 and Rosemarie! I am learning a lot from this terrific thread!

Char... I too am putting these in my recipe book. I also paint a swatch beneath the recipe to show how it looks. That way I can flip through and find what I'm looking for real fast!