PDA

View Full Version : grey horse-could use some help

tabbycat
05-07-2003, 08:49 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2003/14627-greyrunning.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2003/14627-greyhorsepastel.jpg

it just doesn't look done to me. I am trying to figure out what finishing touches I need to add. Seeing it online I can see that the eye could stand to have a highlight:) , but it is just missing something. Any thoughts? Thanks!

crazeejumper
05-07-2003, 10:22 PM
Wow, this looks great! Love the action! I would suggest defining the eye a little more (I know it's kinda hard to see in the pic, but you could get a different pic of an eye), add some more shadows to ground him, and maybe add some more random hairs to his tail so it doesn't look too neat. After all, he is "flying!" This guy looks like an Arab. See how in the pic his nose is smaller? It looks bigger in your drawing. Overall, you have done an excellent job with this! I was impressed when I first saw it. There are just some minor issues that could make it even better!

Margaret Dent
05-07-2003, 10:37 PM
Tabbycat,

Looks lovely! I'm not sure if this will help - but try (digitally) to add a shadow on the ground. I know there isn't one in the photo and it works, but I think it's because it's a photo. We can get away with certain things in photographs that just won't do in a painting.

Margaret.

shedreamsbig
05-08-2003, 12:25 AM
No advice that I could give that hasn't already been said!!

But I will say this really great! I am going to be starting a project alot like this soon! Nice to see how you handeled it, so well!!

Christina:clap:

tabbycat
05-08-2003, 11:30 PM
I think the nose was distorted in the process of using my Evil Projector. I have a love/hate relationship with it. It saves me time, but sometimes I use it as a crutch and forget to really "see" what I'm drawing. I may work more with grids, to get the basic proportions, then refine the drawing by hand. I just feel that I understand the image more if I make myself draw it myself, but the drawing is usually more "on" if I use the projector to make sure I get the proportions right. I do measure when I draw by hand, but there's usually something off, ever so slightly. I just need to draw and observe more. Thanks for stopping by to take a look!:)

She-She
05-09-2003, 02:45 AM
Hiya Tabby,
I really like this. It's not easy to color a grey horse. (I know, I have one on my easel started in pastels & I did one in pencil)

Just fix his tail a bit, put in more darks like his mane. The ends or tips should be the high lights.

You did a nice job!!

Paul Hopkinson
05-09-2003, 03:52 AM
This is very well painted Tabbycat. The only thing I can recommend is adding a little (not much) detail to the ground in the foreground so your background looks a little more gradiated, plus a hint of a faint shadow to anchor the horse down a bit.

Excellent work!:clap:

Paul