PDA

View Full Version : X Posted Arabain horse in motion WIP~HELP NEEDED!!

shedreamsbig
05-07-2003, 07:53 PM
This will be my first ever full color water color. and My second attempt at using this medium....

:rolleyes: To say the least, I am nervous!!

SO any help is very welcome and Apreciated!!

Here is the sketch I will be working with....

shedreamsbig
05-07-2003, 08:02 PM
First the sketch is aprox. 6"'s high by 10"long including her tail....

I would like the finished painting to be about 10" by 13". So I am at a loss for what to do with the background... I am new to water color and am timid with regards to a detailed look... I want the horse to stand out more... but I don't want a boring background either....

Second the Horse is to be a Bay which for you non~horse people is a rich redish brown with black legs, mane and tail... (I have posted a pick of the a horse the color I would like to try and achive.)

Being a very green watercolor artist I haven't a clue how to achive the right look!! I have been playing with mixing colors but seem to be making mud!!

Thank you for your time and Help!!

Christina

pampe
05-07-2003, 08:50 PM
Christina....not a horse person, but I am a watercolor person...so let's see what we can do....

General:
Mud happened when you mix too many colors or complimentaries

Backgrounds:
If you want the hores to stand out, and it will be dark...go for a subdues light background....maybe the sky, some grass and fences

Color
I see blue in that horse....especially in the shadows
You may want to "glaze" the horse.....re-peated layers of clean watercolor...after each layer is COMPLETELY DRY

I might glaze him in Sienna, blue, gold, red, brown madder and see what happens

Or you can mix a color you light and apply it right on and then add shading .

Good luck...let us see the progress!

Pam

shedreamsbig
05-07-2003, 09:24 PM
Great advice!! Thank you!!

I have all the colors you sugested except for the Madder brown??? But I am going out of town tomarrow an will work on it friday and post an update friday night!!

But First for the background...... I guess I will try the grass and the sky tecnique! But I am conserned with the Horizion line... high low or middle? and should I have some shrubs or trees on that horizon? I am really scared I don't want to mess this up!!

Again great advice and Much apreciated!!

Christina:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Rosemarie
05-10-2003, 05:16 AM
This will be a interesting thread! I love horses, work with horses but so far don't paint or draw horses.
Pampes suggestions on colours seems good, may add sepia for really dark browns.

The drawing is good, it has just one part that bothers me and that is the withers. Do you have a ref.pic.? I would like to see the withers between the neck and back, somehow.

Keep posting your progress!!

painterbear
05-10-2003, 06:48 AM
I would suggest making several copies of your drawing with a copy machine, then draw the horizon line at several places, sketch in a distant tree, some bushes, a fence, whatever you think would look like something in the horse's environment.

By doing it on the copies first, you can try different combos without messing up your nice drawing of the horse.

You sound very nervous about this painting because you are worried about "messing it up." Remember, if this painting doesn't work out the way you want, you can always turn the paper over and use the back, or draw it again and start over. Whatever you do, you will be learning. As Little Old Lady likes to remind people "It's only paper." Relax and try to enjoy the experience.

Uschi
05-10-2003, 08:44 AM
Also have no experience with horses. Pam's suggestions are very good ones as is painterbear's to make copies. That way if you need to redo you can just copy your drawing instead of having to redraw. Good Luck, this is quite the challenge considering it is only your 2nd.
Uschi

pampe
05-10-2003, 09:59 AM
or try the ideas on PHOTOSHOP or PAINT SHOP PRO if you have them