PDA

View Full Version : Rhino Poaching In South Africa

chammi kaiser
03-27-2012, 04:08 AM
Having just returned from the Kruger National Park, I was horrified to see the photos of rhinos whose horns had been severed by brutal poachers. Unfortunately, Parks Board staff are implicated in this barbaric practice. It is believed particularly in Vietnam and in China that powdered Rhino horn has great medical properties and is also a potent aphrodisiac. As a result a Rhino a day was slaughtered in the Park last year. Some were even still alive when the horn was severed. There is a thrust on the part of caring individuals and responsible Park staff to monitor the fences and to arrest the perpetrators. Recently one of the poachers was shot dead and two arrested but were released. It is thought that there are those in higher positions in Government and Police who are involved. Several million rands worth of Rhino horn was found in the home of a Police Officer recently. There needs to be a world wide outcry against this ghastly practice. How do you feel about it????

Greg Long
03-27-2012, 04:15 AM
I know many parks were darting their Rhinos and removing the horn to save them from poachers. Sadly many traditional medicines contain parts of endangered species including tigers and rhinos, and while there is demand there will always be willing people to fill that demand, not matter what the cost to others.

Barb'sArt
03-28-2012, 03:32 PM
It makes me ill what "Man" does in the name of medicinal purpose. Unfortunately, where there is money to be made, corruption ensues.

marksdorcel
07-26-2012, 08:35 AM
If people are poaching Rhino in south Africa then its bad for the south African police. They have to work on this way to prevent the poaching of Rhino. Otherwise South Africa can lose the Rhino bred.

gumtreefriends
09-16-2012, 03:20 AM
Yes, I agree. There needs to be greater awareness of this issue otherwise they will nearly be gone. It's so sad.

Cheers
Geri

Claudia in Alaska
11-26-2012, 06:38 PM
it sucks. And medicine has nothing to do with it; the belief that rhino horns are an aphrodisiac is pure superstition and has no basis in scientific fact. You might as well say chewing fingernails is an aphrodisiac, since they are made from the same protein (keratin) as horns. I believe the superstition originally came from the resemblance of a rhino horn to an erect penis. Go figure, human genius at its worst...